LST 4 DWC and determining male ?'s

• Thread starter redog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redog

I think I read in here somewhere that one way of knowing males is by the plant in question having greater space between the nodes.I have this one from seed that is about 2-3 weeks old and the spacing is greater.It's like it is stretching.
Or is this too soon to tell?

The top pic is plant in question,the other 3 pix all seem to have tighter spacing.The bigger plants are about 4-5 weeks old.

Lst 4 dwc and determining male s
Lst 4 dwc and determining male s 2
Lst 4 dwc and determining male s 3
Lst 4 dwc and determining male s 4
R

redog

Lst 4 dwc

Also,i've been told it's going to be hard to handle 4 of these buckets (3 1/2 gallon) under a 250W MH/HPS.
I want to be able to move these outside daily starting now.Do I start training now on the biggest one that I have?
I'm amazed that this sick looking sprout (2 weeks ago) looks like it does in the last picture above.

DSC03847a
DSC03903a
C

chickenn

node spacing don't mean shit when it comes to sexing. no need to rush it. it will sex in 6-8 weeks or you can force it at 4 weeks if you desire.

get a bigger light. 4 under a 250 is pushing it in big pots.

taking them outside and back in, you are gonna get bugs in your grow, and your grow room, and make a mess of things.

G

Ganjalover

Yes, what chickenn says.
Wait until there are 11 blades on the leaves and they will start to show their sex in the preflowers

R

redog

Yes, what chickenn says.
Wait until there are 11 blades on the leaves and they will start to show their sex in the preflowers

Confusing!
These four are under T5's right now so I think the 6-8 week time span won't work here.
What about going by height instead of time?
When can I attempt to cut a clone (at what height?)

11 blades? Is this during veg or after light is switched to 12/12?

Chicken said,"it will sex in 6-8 weeks or you can force it at 4 weeks if you desire".
The biggest plant is already at 6 weeks or close to it.
How do you force it at 4 weeks?

G

Ganjalover

As the plant grows the blades on each pair of leaves on the main stem inrease by two until they get to eleven, so if you count from the bottom up it should go 1-3-5-7-9-11 and then its fully mature and showing preflowers (gender)

C

chickenn

forcing = switching the light schedule to 12/12 at 4 weeks.

if you are at week 6 you should be seeing sex soon. i would wait until the plant is 8 weeks minimum before cutting clones, nice woody cuts will root and grow like a mofo. 100 % germ since i started using mature plants for the cuts.

if size is becoming an issue, go ahead and change the light schedule to 12/12 and start flower. cut some clones from the bottom. need to clean all that up anyways for air flow under the plant.

this hobby will teach patience to anyone...lol

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
All plants grow differently and many plants will never grow an 11 finger leaf but will still be mature. The only thing that you can count on when it comes to sexing are hairs and balls. Redog, these plants are babies, give them time. That last one looks like its way too wet BTW.

If you're not planning on cloning any of these you can flip to 12/12 anytime. If you're trying to do 4 DWC buckets under a 250 (I wouldn't) you have to keep these plants small to make the most use of your light.

R

redog

re

I have to clone to determine which ones are male/female.
So,it seems it will be another 3 weeks or more before I can try my hands at cloning,then have those under the floro's forever before they go on 12/12.

That seedling was bad for sure,but look at it now.
That one actually broke the bottom inch off of the root,then I stuck it in the rockwool and let her grow.
She's looking good now.
One reason these might be growing so slow is during the day I shut the floro's off and they get direct sun for about 3-4 hours,then indirect for the rest off the day.
Come dusk I put the Reflectix covers over the windows and turn the lights on all night.

G

Ganjalover

As the plant grows the blades on each pair of leaves on the main stem inrease by two until they get to eleven, so if you count from the bottom up it should go 1-3-5-7-9-11 and then its fully mature and showing preflowers (gender)
And when you switch to 12/12 they start going in reverse until they end up with single blades sticking out of the buds before harvest

R

redog

And when you switch to 12/12 they start going in reverse until they end up with single blades sticking out of the buds before harvest

Hey.I didn't know that.Thanks.

Ya know it would be nice to have a sticky where people posted pics of their males before they get found and pulled.
I'm not sure i'll know what to look for.

N

Nuglover

I don't know about all that bro. I've grown more than a few plants and I've never seen one go 1-3-5-7-9-11-(12/12) 11-9-7-5-3-1. I've got some Pandora's Box right now about a month old with only 5 leaves already showing preflowers.Also got some Gorilla Grape with 7 leaves showing preflowers. Gonna really depend on the strain. I've grown many strains that never had 11 leaves, some only had 7.
I can tell you putting these little Waterfarms outside when it's hot will kill your girls quick when your reservoir temps get too high. Going in and out is asking for trouble. It stresses the plants and invites unwanted guests. Plants that are stressed can't fight off infections or pests as well as a healthy plant. :) JMO

N

Nuglover

Hey.I didn't know that.Thanks.

Ya know it would be nice to have a sticky where people posted pics of their males before they get found and pulled.
I'm not sure i'll know what to look for.

Look at each node. There will be a little green spike next to the main stem. Between that spike and the branch itself is where the preflowers will be. Usually 4 nodes up or higher. Get a magnifying glass. If you see a calyx with white hairs(usually 1 or 2) sticking out, it's a girl. If it looks like a tiny green pointed mushroom(best description I could think of at the moment) it's a boy. Hell, just google cannabis preflowers and see what pops up. Hope that helps some.:)

G

Ganjalover

Nuglover do you pinch the tops off your seedlings?
Im talking about plants that dont get topped

G

Ganjalover

redog, just let that grow without pinching the top and please show us photos of each new pair of leaves on the main stem

frostymcfailure

frostymcfailure

how do u or anyone else determine the plant's sex before it does?

R

redog

Update

I want to start trying my hands at cloning next.
I'm glad these four are at different stages in growth.
I have no idea where to make a cut.How many cuts can I make on one plant at a time?
This is the biggest of the four.I think I see two pistils but I don't really know.

Top Bottom