LST - Low Stress Training

• Thread starter jadins_journey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
My system is vertically challenged, with the target zone for cola's just 24 inches above the growing medium. I germinate every 28 days in the veg chamber and flower out in 3 flower chambers. All flower systems are identical. Been growing with this method since '07.

System: flood/drain
lights: 1000k dual arc
genetics: front center = Golden Leaves (35 day Veg)
rear 2 = California Dream (28 day veg)
IPM: foliar spray weeks 3, 5, 8
Lst   low stress training
Lst   low stress training 2

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
As mentioned I have limited vertical space so this method of training is the difference in a decent yield or light burned buds. First trellis is at 12", the second is at 24". Leaving a space of 24" between the top string and the light.

Lst4 3
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
It's day 4 of LST and it's day 14 of flower. These pics help explain the WHY part of doing this. P
Lst4 4
Lst4 2
lant is 24" wide and 12" tall

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
The lower trellis has served it's purpose. Plants are 1/2 way through stretch and will easily double in size in the next 2 weeks. Training will resume when these branches reach the upper trellis.

Lst6
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Day 10 of LST and day 18 of flower. All 30 branches have reached the lower trellis.

Lst8
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Exposing direct light to the lower branches at such an early stage of development will allow those branches to produce good bud. 30 branches attached to the plant stalks and another couple dozen of these at the lower trellis by day 18. I've seen both genetics flower before. This has the potential to be a nice grow.

Lst8 2
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Some growers could be wondering why I want to keep those lower buds. They are called suckers, b-grade smoke, trash, etc. All rightly deserved names if those stems don't get direct light. As mentioned all my flower chambers are identical, these pics are from the same genetic line at 8.5 weeks into flower. 3" spacing on the strings, 12 & 24" from medium

Popcorn 1
Popcorn 2
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
LST day10 / flower day 20. Previous grow of California Dream (back 2 plants) reached the top string at 21 days, this grow has one pheno on the shorter side

Lst10
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Day 12 of training, day 22 of flower. Top trellis installed when 2 branches hit 24" @ 21 days flower. Last grow of California Dream top trellis install was at 21 days as well so this grow is on track.

Lst12
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Day 14 LST / Day 24 flower. At this point it's about light penetration and plant height. 5 stems at the string and it looks like 25 of the 30 should make it there

Lst14
Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

Day 14 LST / Day 24 flower. At this point it's about light penetration and plant height. 5 stems at the string and it looks like 25 of the 30 should make it there
Thank You so much for the photos and your time. Having just done my first LST with the standard netting I was disappointed with the plant control it gave. Your frame with taught unknotted lines seems to give plant control while retaining the ability to move the rope. The ability to remove the rope at harvest seems to be enhanced over the traditional netting also. Have you tried smaller squares than 3 inches?

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Thank You so much for the photos and your time. Having just done my first LST with the standard netting I was disappointed with the plant control it gave. Your frame with taught unknotted lines seems to give plant control while retaining the ability to move the rope. The ability to remove the rope at harvest seems to be enhanced over the traditional netting also. Have you tried smaller squares than 3 inches?
Thank you Newbelinginaz for stopping by.

My DIY set up is here because I wasn't happy with the control the industry options gave me. The original version of my adaptation of some one else's idea was built in a tent. Pictures still in my profile.
Being able to remove everything prior to harvest is a huge plus for me. There are 2 knots on each layer and all knots are facing the door, cut one string and pull it out.
I've actually thought about a 2" spacing for the lower trellis. Give it a try and let us know!

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

Thank you Newbelinginaz for stopping by.

My DIY set up is here because I wasn't happy with the control the industry options gave me. The original version of my adaptation of some one else's idea was built in a tent. Pictures still in my profile.
Being able to remove everything prior to harvest is a huge plus for me. There are 2 knots on each layer and all knots are facing the door, cut one string and pull it out.
I've actually thought about a 2" spacing for the lower trellis. Give it a try and let us know!
Your well thought out grow process is way more advanced than my little 2x2 auto farm. I think using the second layer of netting principal should really help me keep my large bud and skinny stocked autos from falling over, so I am off to the garage to figure out how to make a adjustable height adaptation of your design. Thanks

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Week 4 (28 days in flower) / day 18 LST. Plants are holding steady at 2' (24 inches). Stretch is basically over.

Lst18
Lst18 2
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
About 1/2 way there. Holding at 2 feet above hydroton / away from light

Lst5
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
LST is how every plant in this system is grown. Here's the next chamber just 28 days behind.

Goglst1
Top Bottom