Lumen Requirements To Disrupt Night Cycle?/12-1 Lighting

• Thread starter kalopatchkid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

Howzit Farmers,
I live in Hawaii where we dont get days longer than 14 hours during the solstice, so it is difficult to get a plant to continue to veg when put outside.

I've been researching techniques to keep plants in vegetative state and have come across a 12-1 lighting technique where you disrupt the sleep cycle for an hour in the middle of the night cycle and wanted to give it a try. I was wondering if anyone here knows what the minimum lumen requirements would be to disrupt the night cycle outdoor?
My goal is to find an economical, off-grid solution to light up my girls and keep them in veg. The cheapest I have found is 1000-1200 lumen Solar-powered LED flood lights that retail for ~$40 on amazon. Just wondering if those will put out enough light to do the trick.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Not sure about the 12-1 cycle, but I have prolonged the day time period with compact florescent before. I have a 100ft extension cord with 10 sockets in line. I put 40 watt equivalent (14w) bulbs in each socket and that was enough to keep 12 full size outdoor plants in veg. I just turned on the lights 2 hours before sun up, to ensure vegging plants. Good luck.

kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

@Bulldog11 I just went for it and have two solar powered flood lamps that are around 2000 lumens total.
It lights up the area pretty damn well, I must say, but I will have to wait a week or two to see if the plants start to flower or not.
I just flick them on around 11:30 before I go to sleep and they still have a little juice in them in the morning. I'll try to report back in a week with how things turn out.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

My only advice to that would be try to keep your light cycle consistent. Just like indoors, if you mess with the light schedule things can happen. However being in veg this is less of a problem. I think the amount of light your supplying will be more than enough.

Top Bottom