lumens vs watts

• Thread starter Patriot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Patriot

Patriot

I have a question for my peeps.
For my indoor grow am I looking for watts or lumens.
I have found some LED lights that produce about 9000 lumens and are only 25 to 30 watts....ny imput will really be helpful.
Thanks guys
:banana1sv6:

A

Alien Abductee

Do not buy any led lights below 90 watt ufo. The others are just crap crap crap.

Wavelengths you want 660nm red, not 630nm red. Id also run the same wattage in cfl if you are going to flower. So if you have 90 watt ufo, get around 90 watts 2700k cfl.

I personally use (3) 90 wattt ufos and (2) 105 cfls in 10 square feet and pull out baseball sized colas. and can flower 8 plants easily.

A

Alien Abductee

watts or lumens are not really that important when it comes to led, it is PAR, the amount of light usable by the plant, which leds are quite good at.

What do you plan on using the light for?

Patriot

Patriot

a couple of tomatoe plants...so led. so do u recomend LED over CFL ...

A

Alien Abductee

Tomato plants I would use 630nm red, they seem to do better with tomatos. If you plan to use them on your weed plants, then get 660nm red, which will grow the tomatos pretty well. Tri-band or higher usually 7:1:1 ratio or 6:1:1:1 for quad, etc.

Personally, I would use 90 watt led plus 1 105 watt 2700k cfl www.1000bulbs.com look in the 105 watt section. I have tried all cfl, all led and the combination of 1 watt to 1 watt led to cfl just out performs led or cfl on thier own, by a huge margin.

Patriot

Patriot

thanks man...
whats nm630 or 660 sorry dont know the term...tri band...7-1-1? 6-1-1-1 fro quad? dont fallow....

A

Alien Abductee

LED lights provide specific light spectrums. Some plants like 660 nanometer wavelegnth red, and some like 630 nanometer wavelength of red. Its like different shades of red. Each plant can have its own preference.

Tomatos thrive in 630 nm red, cannibis prefers 660nm red.

tri band means it will have 3 different colors, usually red, blue and orange. quad band will have 4 red, blue, orange and usually white, could be yellow etc., 5 band, 6 band, etc etc.

7:1:1 means it will have 7 red led, 1 blue led, 1 orange led ratio. 90 watt led would have 70 red, 10 orange, 10 blue.

6:1:1:1 means it will have an ratio of 6 red, 1 blue, 1 orange and 1 white (could be yellow or some other collor as well). 90 watts have 90 leds, so 60 would be red, 10 blue, 10 orange, 10 white.

You will hear all kinds of statements like 90 watt led equalling 400 watt HID. Its only the case in veg, in flower its more like 270 watt led = 400 watt HPS. In a cabinet, 180 watt of leds is perfect. Most stealth cabinets use led now since the heat is so easy to manage.

So if you get a tri band (3 color) or quad band (4 color) or any band, make sure the red is 660nm red for cannibis or 630nm red for tomatos.

If your running nothing but led, id go with the quad band or 5 band. If your running cfl supplemental light, tri band or even dual band (just red and blue) would be better.

When your shopping for led lights for cannibis, make sure the red is 660nm, it will be listed and try to find out what brand of leds are in there. bridgelux or optiplex seem the bruightest and best.

definately stay within the US or canada, dont go ever seas.

A

Alien Abductee

I simplified things some, its a little more complicated with the wavelengths, but you get the idea.

Patriot

Patriot

Thanks so much man, i am glad that u are helping...i had cfl before run some sucessful runs but low yielding...about 1 oz per plant..its all for me but the economy the way it is its hard to keep it up. I am looking to update a little so i am looking for leds..or anything that works. I am not looking to run the electric bill up to much but i am trying to get more, buying just seems unnecesary when we can do it ourselves...much better quality and genetics....ny help you can throw my way wil be apretiated.
Thanks so much man. I am glad u are helping

A

Alien Abductee

in general in small spaces, led lights, watt per watt, are around 2-3 times more efficient than cfls. If you are use to working with cfls, maybe try a cfl led hybrid, thats what I run with great success. Baseball sized nugs, no joke.

DSCN4215
DSCN4230
Patriot

Patriot

this is what i did a cpl years back...my 2nd run aver...with CFL

A

Alien Abductee

cool nice! What dimensions is your grow space? If you do hybrid, try to go 1:1 watt ratio between the cfl and led or close,I am at 270:210 led:cfl.

Top Bottom