Machine trimmed buds vs. hand manicured

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

Anyone have any pictures to share of machine-trimmed buds in comparison to hand cut? As of now, I am not a big fan of machine trimming. Pros? cons?

j wizzle

j wizzle

pros....its quicker

cons....its a worse quality, heavy loss of exterior trichs. you lose the sugar look

there are some side by side shots in one of the threads in the trimscene forums

M

mrdizzle

quality of the trim depends on the strain, but hand trim will always look better.

I would just get one you wll make your money back from it quick, even if you continue to hand trim, you will be able to throw the bottoms in there that take trimmers forever$$$ to do and give you nothing for weight

K

kolah

Thanks! the auto trimmers I have seen are quite pricey. I will have to read more about them.

I'll take a gander at "trimscene forums" TY

M

mrduke

i bought a trimmer about a year ago and only use it for nugs that are smaller then i golfball everything else is hand trim. it looks like a different strain right after triming but once dryed its harder to tell the differance. One thing for sure is it saves hella time.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i have been using the spin pro for the past 5 runs and don't get no complaints. i hand trim all the larger buds which is usually like 5-7 buds per plant and run the rest through the spin pro. peeps are happy and i don't really get major trich loss you can spin it as what speed you want i turn it slower. trim when they are wet will also save the trichs. when the buds are on the screens you could lose alot of trichs when you are flipping them though as they are drying. i only flip them the day one and 2 as they are heaviest then. that way you don't get flat spots

T

treehugger

Years ago, at an amateur pre-race meeting, the instructor was asked a question by a newby about the appropriateness of using a second-hand five dollar helmet at that weekends event. The wry instructor remarked, "If you have a five dollar head, by all means, wear a five dollar helmet..."

For those whom have difficulties with analogies, If you've grown low-grade bud, a trim-pro won't make it look any worse - if you've got the high-grade, red carpet treatment doesn't include beating it with a stick...

Blaze

Blaze

For those whom have difficulties with analogies, If you've grown low-grade bud, a trim-pro won't make it look any worse - if you've got the high-grade, red carpet treatment doesn't include beating it with a stick...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and their own opinions on what is best, but after all the time and care I put into my buds, there is no way in hell I'm going to run them through an over-priced glorified weed wacker. Really depends on your personal preference and what your market likes though - some people don't mind the machine trimmed stuff one bit.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
really? when people are trimming with scissors they are whacking away as well. unless you are sitting there barely touching the buds. using a spin pro will not ruin your buds it may not trim them as much as your scissors do though.

if you are able to have a bunch of peeps help you trim or maybe grow on a smaller scale and have extra time you will probably have no trouble hand trimming. but if your running more then 2 lights and are solo you would be trimming for days or weeks depending on how many lights. takes a good trimmer roughly 8-10 hours per lbs. so if your running 6 lights you would be trimming for 2 weeks every day most of the day. if your in a legal state it may not be that big a deal to have people over trimming.

M

mendo707dustin

i really think that the only thing the trimmer does is make you touch your product more than once and the less you touch it the better it is

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
really? when people are trimming with scissors they are whacking away as well. unless you are sitting there barely touching the buds. using a spin pro will not ruin your buds it may not trim them as much as your scissors do though.
I disagree. I have yet to see hand-trimmed bud coming out looking like machine-trimmed, and so far I've been able to easily distinguish machine-trimmed immediately.
if you are able to have a bunch of peeps help you trim or maybe grow on a smaller scale and have extra time you will probably have no trouble hand trimming. but if your running more then 2 lights and are solo you would be trimming for days or weeks depending on how many lights. takes a good trimmer roughly 8-10 hours per lbs. so if your running 6 lights you would be trimming for 2 weeks every day most of the day. if your in a legal state it may not be that big a deal to have people over trimming.
Having a bunch of people is helpful, and remember, the guy you're addressing is growing medical cannabis. I think Blaze has pulled a few pounds here and there on occasion.

You absolutely make very good points about how each scenario plays into the decision, and if I were 'blowing it up' and didn't have any help, I might consider machine trimming.

If I ever see machine-trimmed bud that doesn't look machine-trimmed, that doesn't have the trichomes beaten off the exterior of the bud, I may very well change my tune. Because trimming isn't just a pain in the ass, it's boring as hell.

I

ibTheMan

I got ah Trimpro Rotor and if you have nice hard nugs it works great, if you get loose foxtaily nugs it wont work as good.
you still need to cut the buds off the stem and trim or pull the big leafs off, but thats pretty quick.

Rotored Superlemonhaze Not touched after=

Trimpro 002
K

kolah

So from what I understand (and correct me if I wrong) the trimmers munch off more of the trichromed covered leaves in comparision to hand trimming. I just did my first trimmimng and left the leaves which had good amounts of trichromes on them. I looked at a friends machine trimmed buds that he bought and they look nothing like mine.

So, if the trimmer takes off leafs with tri's on them what is done with the leftovers? Hash making? IMO I'd rather leave as much trichromes on the bud leaves as possible.

BTW, I do not grow a lot of MJ to seriously consider investing in a trimmer. I stay within the CO laws and actually do not mind trimming. I can see it being advantageous for someone who grows more though.

Blaze

Blaze

The type of machine makes a big difference too. The spin-pro type like Kid Twist mentions are a lot more gentle, esp if you are careful when you use them, and only use it for the rough trim. The ones that tumble the buds like the Twisters are a hell of a lot rougher and knock off more trichs.

I

ibTheMan

Oh after readn the Title to this thread i see hes not talkn about trim'n weed he's talkn about trim'n ah Bus? lol

phenotyper

phenotyper

I use the spinpro when life doesn't allow me to hand trim. I find the quality excellent given the time it saves. You can see pictures of my fire og in my signature under the organic BK grow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom