Mag Deficiency, Lucas + Calmag In Ro

• Thread starter tubgirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tubgirl

I will post pictures later when I can snap a couple but for now I'll describe the problem.
I'm in week 7 of flower now in 4 gal hempy buckets using hydroton up to the drilled res hole with Perlite/Verm at 4:1 the rest of the way in the bucket. I'd been fighting a slight deficiency from the start and finally thought I had it corrected when I went to the 0-8-16 full strength Lucas formula around the end of 3rd week of flower, with intervenal chlorosis and drooping going away completely and the leaves were praying to the light. It's my first time with these GH nutes and the Lucas formula, as well as RO water so I assumed a slight learning curve. I went on vacation for a week and left a buddy in charge with lots of clear instructions. Well I came back to a major Mag deficiency with the following nutes, mixed in this order into RO water @ <10 ppm:

5 mL/gal Cali-Magic
8 mL/gal Micro
16 mL/gal Bloom
5 mL/gal liquid KoolBloom starting during week 3, later adjusted to 7.5 mL/gal around week 5.
At this point I'm around 1250 ppm before adding pH up to bring to 5.8.
Maybe once a week I'll add some Ful-Power at 10 mL/gal (lowest dose on the bottle) before I pH.

I have noticed that I've been getting a bit of fallout, but I'm not sure what's causing it however it seems according to the plants that Magnesium is what's falling out or being locked out somehow. My Res doesn't show any major pH fluctuations.

Running at 83-85 degrees, 1500 ppm CO2, 1000 W HPS per 4x4 area, 50-55% RH that I've dialed down gradually from 65-70% from the start of flower. Lots of air circulation. Feed-Feed-Water is how I've been doing my schedule, when I give them plain water it's tap instead of RO.
Strains are Super Lemon Shark and Rebel God Smoke.

Pictures I can post this evening or tomorrow. The leaves are classic yellowing with brown spots that started mid-low plant and worked upward to the top indicating Mag deficiency but nonetheless I'll post them later once lights are on.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Pictures I can post this evening or tomorrow. The leaves are classic yellowing with brown spots that started mid-low plant and worked upward to the top indicating Mag deficiency but nonetheless I'll post them later once lights are on.
Hi tubgirl. What you're describing actually sounds like a K- to me. Mg- is going to stay on the lowers only. If you're seeing spotting/necrosis on newest growth, it's likely a Ca-, which really can't be reversed, though it's possible to stop progression.

It's really hard to say much more without being able to see the girls in question. I do think that you may be running a bit high on the pH. I've never run Hydroton, but I have run perlite-only tubs and 5.0-5.5 was the good range for that.

It honestly doesn't make sense to me that you're getting precipitation if you're starting off with RO water, either. But it could be to do with mixing order, and unfortunately it's been so long since I've used synthetics that I'm drawing a blank on the rules of mixing order. I'm sorry!

m8ty

m8ty

IMG 20150830 214115
IMG 20150829 211733
I'm new to hemppy but I notice the plant grows much better when I feed every time I water. I started the plant with feed/water/water/feed schedule and started getting deficiencies, once I started feeding every time it needs water the deficiency stopped. I'm feeding at 800 ppm 5.5 pH six weeks into veg.

Top Bottom