Magnesium deficiency. Help please.

• Thread starter blues frog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blues frog

Hi people. I have definately got a magnesium deficiency. my plants have stopped growing, some leaves look like the picture in the guide to sick plants,and the growing tips are lime green. I have very chalky tap water, so it is probably a calcium induced lockout. I can start watering with bottled water, or put tap water through a filter but how do I stop the lockout immediately. Bear in mind I have little to no money left as I just bought all the bits and wood for a cabinet. Also, can I test the PH of the soil by shaking some up in my water test kit and then adding solution, or can I use ordinary PH paper for that? Help, this is my first grow and I don't want to lose it.

S

still smokin

this is what i would do right or wrong ...you have to start somewhere ok...i would flush the plant wait a day or two then 1/4 nute with 1 teaspoon epson salt per gal of water ..that will give you mag that you need and its cheep and you mite have some in your house .thats what i would do ...good luck buddy

R

ReelBusy1

this is what i would do right or wrong ...you have to start somewhere ok...i would flush the plant wait a day or two then 1/4 nute with 1 teaspoon epson salt per gal of water ..that will give you mag that you need and its cheep and you mite have some in your house .thats what i would do ...good luck buddy

took the words right out of my mouth.
Yuck.

O

Oatmeleon

I agree, Flush thoroughly wait a few days, then epsoms for Mg...Good luck, some pics would help..

Oat

B

blues frog

Thanks guys. If I have a calcium caused lockout the calcium has built up round the rootsystem. Will the flush get rid of this?

B

blues frog

Here are some pics. Will filtering tap water get rid of enough of the nasty calcium my plants can't use?

DSC00529
DSC00530
DSC00531
DSC00532
O

Oatmeleon

I'm not sure what kind of filter you are using but if its an RO filter for sure...If its like a brta filter or something i'd wait for someone else to chime in. Good thing your catching it early as they don't look to bad yet..

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

the kind of filter you mention is prob. carbon filter and/or partical filter. Won't / can't do anything to cacium. You could use r/o system but it should be softened first, or buy R/O water at store, 35 - 40 cents per gal. real cheap. Then you could even mix the R/O 5 to 1 with hard tap water.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Have you had your water tested before???

B

blues frog

No I haven't. Tested in what way. Bear in mind that I live in low rent housing with a cheapskate landlord.

B

blues frog

If anyone knows where to get cal mag plus in the uk could you let me know please

og dmc

og dmc

I wouldnt overreact as those dont look that bad, IM NOT SURE THAT is a mag def. If your water is hard al mag isnt the answer.

B

blues frog

I don't getcha. Looks exactly like the pics. What else would it be

B

blues frog

Does anyone know how you get rid of excessive calcium carbonate from around your plants roots. I believe ( I am probably wrong) that it bonds on the outside of the root system and prevent the uptake of other nutrients, and may cause a complete lockout and kill all my plants.

og dmc

og dmc

A good mag def causes intereveinal chlorosis. It looks brown and nectrotic. If that is mag def, it is very early. I am willing to bet if you start flushing and messing with the nutes , youll do more harm than good.

B

blues frog

One of the plants I have outdoors is showing more advanced signs, including the major discoloration between the veins. Have used epsom salts, both in the pots, and as a foliar. Not sure yet, but I think it's doing some good. I hope that's not just wishful thinking.

B

blues frog

Plants are still alive and 2 weeks into flower. Still got lime green growing tips and growing slowly. Here is a link to my grow diary. Peace.

L

Lost

Posted in your grow thread. I don't see a problem. The lime green is standard for new growth. Your doing great :)

Top Bottom