Magnesium deficiency possibly or something else?

• Thread starter professorchaos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
professorchaos

professorchaos

One of my plants has these rust colored spots on older foliage. Not all the plants have them. Just two plants currently. I was thinking fungal infection but rubbing it doesn't leave my fingers stained and doesn't leave any residue. New growth on top is green and fine. I have 2 other cultivars going that don't have these spots and are in the same soil set up and nutrient schedule.

Plant info: durban poison. Week 4 veg currently. Grown outside. Currently being fed cultured biologix dr. root, dr growth, and grow 360 at 1/4 strength and watered with pH balanced purified water. Spots appeared after a few days of heavy rainfall.

Magnesium deficiency possibly or something else
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Do not ph adjust you water and do a slurry teat on your soil.

give more information. Watering practices?

makeup of the media and any amendments?

day and night tenp and humidity?

everything you can think of

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

And whole plant pictures from side and above. Remember when it cone to diagnosing plants…. Garbage info in equals garbage info out.

professorchaos

professorchaos

Dude has other threads where he’s said he’s successful in promix and coco mixed together he’s askin a lot of questions for being so successful? Lol
Don’t mind helping but don’t need trolls either!
I'll just file your comments into the garbage bin where they belong.

professorchaos

professorchaos

It doesn't have the classic mag deficiency look. I'm more inclined to believe that you went through a brief period of over-watering before the plant grew enough for the roots to handle the water volume. Here's picture of classic signs of magnesium deficiency:

Very possible as I have a friend tend to the plants while I am away at times. We had a heavy rain spell here and I'll have to check if he adjusted watering due to the rain. He is helpful but also not one to be as intuitive when it comes to such issues.

professorchaos

professorchaos

Wrong go read again
Media is a mixture of soil, perlite, and coco. I have it in all the potted plants in the garden.

Watering schedule is a daily routine as day temps get high (32-33 C) and the soil will get bone dry in a day no problem. Watering is done in the morning administered around the plant until larger. Then the pot gets a full soak. Daytime humidity ranges from 50-60%. Night time temp drops a bit from 20-25 C. Humidity sees a slight dip. Recent rain has shifted temps a bit but short window.

Last slurry test shows pH of 6.1

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Very possible as I have a friend tend to the plants while I am away at times. We had a heavy rain spell here and I'll have to check if he adjusted watering due to the rain. He is helpful but also not one to be as intuitive when it comes to such issues.
Here's the deal though ... @Aqua Man is right. You gave a photo of a small part of the plant and have yet to provide the details needed to really zero down on the issue. Does it look like mag deficiency? No, but I also can't say for sure what is going on because I have nothing to work with other than a guess.

Aqua Man is the guru here. I'd consider myself still a student. I'm no beginner but I'm also not a pro. Sometimes I run into issues that would take a lot of time to resolve without his insight. He's attempted to help. Give him the chance.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here's the deal though ... @Aqua Man is right. You gave a photo of a small part of the plant and have yet to provide the details needed to really zero down on the issue. Does it look like mag deficiency? No, but I also can't say for sure what is going on because I have nothing to work with other than a guess.

Aqua Man is the guru here. I'd consider myself still a student. I'm no beginner but I'm also not a pro. Sometimes I run into issues that would take a lot of time to resolve without his insight. He's attempted to help. Give him the chance.
Thats a very kind post brother but Sometimes I just know when its not worth it and if thats the kinda reply he gives to staff then i can’t justify my time here

professorchaos

professorchaos

You kind of sound like you don't want help friend... just some friendly advice, Aqua Man really is the guru here, and is well liked by all... so being a dbag to him isn't gonna get you far here on the farm... we usually just wanna help one another. ☮️
Thanks for the advice.

Sunasun

Sunasun

New growth has the same issues, the problem is not fixed. The upper left one is starting to burn on the edge of the leaf.
And the over watering looks like an ongoing issue. And why did you mix mediums, they each require a different pH to be used. And also, did you buffer your coco? It can leech magnesium which is crucial for basic growth processes.

Good luck

professorchaos

professorchaos

New growth has the same issues, the problem is not fixed. The upper left one is starting to burn on the edge of the leaf.
And the over watering looks like an ongoing issue. And why did you mix mediums, they each require a different pH to be used. And also, did you buffer your coco? It can leech magnesium which is crucial for basic growth processes.

Good luck
Coco and peat moss are common soil amendments. They improve the aeration abilities of the soil. I use a rough mix of 50% soil and a 50% addition of half peat moss and half coco. The coco is washed and buffered prior to mixing. I do a 24 soak in calmag after it's rinsed.

Top Bottom