Magnesium deficiency?

• Thread starter jay530dogg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jay530dogg

Hello anyone know if this magnesium deficiency ? I just hit it with cal mag plus let me know thanks

J

jay530dogg

Hello anyone know if this magnesium deficiency ? I just hit it with cal mag plus let me know thanks
Oh forgot here's the pics

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well cal mag have magnesium in it too
And they work really well together, as to why they are so often packaged together as a supliment .
He doesn't have a "cal-mag" deficiency, he's got a Mg-. Now, you can try throwing a whole bunch of different things at it, but then the balance very well may be upset. If it were short on Ca, then we'd see some other effects. But we're not. It's just a simple, straight up Mg-. Trying to correct a deficiency with combination products may very well cause more problems while not addressing the deficiency, which is why Smoody and I made the recommendations we did.

burn4me

burn4me

if that doesnt help then as long as it doesnt mess with anything else but is still throwing Mg- then try 1/2-1 tsp of epsom salts on your water day. its what i did and it helped a lot

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Botanicare's Cal-Mag doesn't have a good balance of Ca:Mg in my opinion or experience, its ratio of Ca:Mg is along the lines of 3:1 IIRC. It should be at minimum 4:1 and that still leaves the soil bereft of Ca. There are those who suggest that a ratio closer to 15:1 Ca:Mg is better. When I tried using it, I had to add more and more Ca. Ultimately I ended up separating out Ca from Mg and saw precisely what was happening, I feel I've earned my stripes on this one. And typically what I see when answering these threads are problems with Ca. This is one of the few that really is a very simple Mg-.

So, here's the other thing, especially if you use something like MgSO4--it's highly mobile. It can be given as a foliar, which can also be part of the diagnostic process.

What you've posted is absolutely correct for soils.

His plants aren't ugly and sick, they have a simple Mg- that can be corrected all too easily, and far more cheaply than via yet another "cal-mag" product by simply using some Epsom salts. If used at very low rates, in fact I use lower rates than what's being recommended here (1g or 1/4tsp/gal water) then there's little chance he's going to end up binding his soil to the point that he causes problems. I would suggest that, simply by looking at the friability of his soil, he does not in fact have an issue with excess Mg (as I do with mine, again based on observable features like friability).

So, if someone's concerned about having too much Mg in their soil, then give it as a foliar. However, in my strong opinion throwing combination products and everything but the kitchen sink at it there's as much likelihood of causing more or worse issues as there is of resolving the initial, simple issue.

J

jay530dogg

I'll try the espo
Botanicare's Cal-Mag doesn't have a good balance of Ca:Mg in my opinion or experience, its ratio of Ca:Mg is along the lines of 3:1 IIRC. It should be at minimum 4:1 and that still leaves the soil bereft of Ca. There are those who suggest that a ratio closer to 15:1 Ca:Mg is better. When I tried using it, I had to add more and more Ca. Ultimately I ended up separating out Ca from Mg and saw precisely what was happening, I feel I've earned my stripes on this one. And typically what I see when answering these threads are problems with Ca. This is one of the few that really is a very simple Mg-.

So, here's the other thing, especially if you use something like MgSO4--it's highly mobile. It can be given as a foliar, which can also be part of the diagnostic process.

What you've posted is absolutely correct for soils.

His plants aren't ugly and sick, they have a simple Mg- that can be corrected all too easily, and far more cheaply than via yet another "cal-mag" product by simply using some Epsom salts. If used at very low rates, in fact I use lower rates than what's being recommended here (1g or 1/4tsp/gal water) then there's little chance he's going to end up binding his soil to the point that he causes problems. I would suggest that, simply by looking at the friability of his soil, he does not in fact have an issue with excess Mg (as I do with mine, again based on observable features like friability).

So, if someone's concerned about having too much Mg in their soil, then give it as a foliar. However, in my strong opinion throwing combination products and everything but the kitchen sink at it there's as much likelihood of causing more or worse issues as there is of resolving the initial, simple issue.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

hey Jay530 Checking in to see how things are going hope all is green to grow

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I had issues with my grows and I spent a lot of time reading the Nut Deficency threads and everything Seamaiden post U can take dang ner Gospel..
Keep um green Brother
J

Top Bottom