Magnetic ballast max lamp cord length

• Thread starter Hugo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hugo

I've been out of growing 3years now, getting back up and running in very short future

Back then, the hydro store guy said with the magnetic ballasts.... the lamp cord can be 75-100' long with o problems. It's just the power cord that has to stay short or can't be lengthened.

Questions:

Is this info accurate?

Is so, how long can lamp cord be max to not loose intensity?

75'? 100'? 200'?

And...

If my info was inaccurate, what can be done to ballast to successfully lengthen lamp cord?
And how long can it be?

Thanks in advance...

ttystikk

ttystikk

The power cord to the ballast needs to be kept short since its running relatively low voltage, and so the current drop makes the ballast work harder to supply adequate voltage to the bulb. Same issue as with power tools and air compressors.

The lamp cord can be up to 100 feet long because the ballast's transformer has stepped up the line voltage to 400V. This allows it to carry voltage much further without problems. I wouldn't go further than 100 feet, though.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Hugo, i have a different response for you.

regarding the "power cord" (the cable between your receptacle and ballast): it can be any length, as long as the gauge of the cable is appropriately sized. if you're working with only 16 gauge cable, just off the top of my head, i'd tell you to be careful about lengthening it at all. but if you're talking about using a 12 gauge extension cord to run it 50' away, it's not going to be a problem.

ttystikk is right about using a thinner gauge cable for power tools and such. i used to use a 100', 16 ga. cable for an air compressor and it would get toasty. for years now, i've only bought 10 and 12 ga. extension cords and have no problem going a couple of hundred feet when i need to.

regarding your "lamp cord" (the cable between your ballast adn your lamp): with common magnetic ballasts this distance is normally limited to 25 feet. some ballasts have different restrictions and you need to check the specifications of the individual ballast manufacturer.

with electronic ballasts, some manufacturers specify that this cable can be much longer, i've seen 75'. Once again, you should check the specifications of the individual ballast manufacturer.

Papa

J

Jalisco Kid

I agree with papa on this and 25' is a stretch for some 600w hps. I would only ask an electrician electrical questions because on a board like this it could just get you into trouble. JK

Top Bottom