magnetic ballast repair issue

• Thread starter altitudefarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Hey I need a bit of advice if anyone has it.
I have replaced the ignitor and capacitor on a 600w Harvest Pro HPS magnetic ballast. The bulb still won't fire, but it flashes when I unplug the ballast. Doesn't seem to be any loose connections.
It wants to fire when I'm plugging and unplugging. Transformer issue?

homebrew420

homebrew420

I assume you got the proper ignitor? Micro farrad # is important. And you tried a new lamp/bulb?

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Yes, thanks Homebrew! I rebuild these suckers all the time. I have a stash of caps and igniters.
Previously I just blamed a bad transformer and took the ballast to the recycler. I'd love to know I wasted potentially good ballasts, haha

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Hey I need a bit of advice if anyone has it.
I have replaced the ignitor and capacitor on a 600w Harvest Pro HPS magnetic ballast. The bulb still won't fire, but it flashes when I unplug the ballast. Doesn't seem to be any loose connections.
It wants to fire when I'm plugging and unplugging. Transformer issue?
If it's the transformer you'll hear a pretty loud humming sound, not the normal hum of a ballast a fucked up hum lol. most companies will allow you to ship your ballast to them and they will fix it for free or for a small fee, usaully cost 50-90 bucks depending on whats wrong and what model you have.......take it easy

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Thanks man. These are out of warranty, or I would ship them back. I got a dozen working/nonworking ballasts for $100...
So far I have gotten 6 that work like new for about $180 including new parts. Not a bad deal.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Thanks man. These are out of warranty, or I would ship them back. I got a dozen working/nonworking ballasts for $100...
So far I have gotten 6 that work like new for about $180 including new parts. Not a bad deal.
dam a dozen non-working for a 100 bucks is a deal indeed not including working ones

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Yeah, I think I can recoup most o m investment at the scrap yard...

Reactions: Dlo
Top Bottom