Magnetic Ballast Troubleshooting and Repair

• Thread starter CelticEBE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I have a ballast that's down right now and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for troubleshooting it. I have a fluke multimeter.

Ballast in question is an old sun systems 1000 watt Magnetic. It hums, but won't light up a bulb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

U

up yours

I have a ballast that's down right now and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for troubleshooting it. I have a fluke multimeter.

Ballast in question is an old sun systems 1000 watt Magnetic. It hums, but won't light up a bulb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If this is a hps take a mh 1000w bulb install if it lights your ignitor is bad they are 35$ and easy to change pm if more help is needed later bro

I

Inuit

You can also open it and visually inspect the capacitor for buldges or leaks, if you see any, replace the capacitor. Shape isn't important, juts make sure the ratings on the new one match the ratings on the old one if you change it. Also probably less than $35.

Inuit

U

up yours

It is always best to replace cap/ignitor at same time if old hardware. Do not re use wire nuts tape all wire nuts w/ elec tape and only do one wire at a time it easy to become confused this repair won't. take 15 min bro. Later pm if more needed later.:bubblez:

Y

yoko

What is a good source and price for a new cap and ignitor?

Yoko

U

up yours

Hydro store or electric supply store or online suppliers

D

dwh2125

Very similar issue with attached Econo Gro 1000 SW magnetic ballast... first few hours the MH bulb ran great, then checked on the setup later that evening and the bulbs inner tube was trying to fire but couldn’t complete the process... think it’s the starter? I need this up and running ASAP or have to put the T8’s back into service.

If this is a hps take a mh 1000w bulb install if it lights your ignitor is bad they are 35$ and easy to change pm if more help is needed later bro

739A9012 3C8C 4D1D 8FF1 027BD600C6CC
C6969000 7F6B 48AE B2C0 1380AE340FA2
Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

If it won't fire the halide, then it's the capacitor. Of course, first make sure everything is connected tight, and that the switch is fully engaged to the halide side.

D

dwh2125

If it won't fire the halide, then it's the capacitor. Of course, first make sure everything is connected tight, and that the switch is fully engaged to the halide side.

Everything was clean inside the ballast, no burning or leaks... checked all connections, still only this much power...

A4329D6A 146E 4B3B 95AC 850DEFC18A1E
Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

It should be an easy fix. Some hydro shops work on them, or you can buy the cap and replace it yourself. I don't think the sun systems are soldered, so it's just undoing two connectors, removing old cap, replacing with new.

If you do it yourself, discharge the cap by tapping the open posts with a screwdriver or something.

D

dwh2125

Thanks! Yeah us mechanical engineers know just enough about electrical to be dangerous😉
Will bolt in new cap, just two half clamps and 2 screws holding in.
Post results when new parts are in, got a new bulb arriving today just to be safe as well, new cap. New bulb figured.

It should be an easy fix. Some hydro shops work on them, or you can buy the cap and replace it yourself. I don't think the sun systems are soldered, so it's just undoing two connectors, removing old cap, replacing with new.

If you do it yourself, discharge the cap by tapping the open posts with a screwdriver or something.

D

dwh2125

Tough capacitor to properly ID a like in kind replacement... prices vary through google wildly.

59B62AA1 0227 4F00 86FB 53100D69412D
Top Bottom