magnum XXXLs or adjust a wings which reflectors you think are better?

• Thread starter barneyfife
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

barneyfife

which of these 2 reflectors do you prefer and why? and have you used them before?
was going to swicth the hoods in my flower room. and cant make up my mind between the 2. btw its 8x8 and i have 3x1000 watters. and right now i run 2 yield master 2s and 1 adjust a wing. yea got alittle ahead of myself and already got 1 wing but im really liking the mag xxxl.
maybe ill run 2 mags with the 1 wing idk.
lets hear what yall think.

Greyskull

Greyskull

hows the aaw vs the yeild masters?
the yeild masters look pretty similiar to the cool suns (i think the difference is quality of the reflective material but i could be way wrong haha)

i was running super sun I but thought the upgrade to the bigger reflector would allow me better spreadth of light... now i am of the opinon the ssII are the way to go...

but the spread of the aaw is very very appealing...

M

Monkey

XXXL's are so nice...Like it the best so far... so cool so nice... kinda feeling like love i guess... but it is such a short time it is hard to say I have fallen so fast...

Crush:animal0057:MONKEY!

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
yep them XXXL Magnums are pretty top notch.. Largest foot print out there imo. I will buy more.

:passingjoint:

GTD

M

Max Paynal

How does the adjust a wing handle heat? I think that the light spread might be better but you can probably place the light much closer to the plants using the magnum. I've thought about trying to use the adjust a wing with a cool tube but that gets kind of expensive. Thanks for the post

B

barneyfife

hey guys thanks for the comments.
greyskull its really to early to give good comparision im only 3wk into my 1st flower with the aaw.
i will say that it definatly speads the light very well. but it is for sure less intense toward the center of the reflector.
the brightest most intense light seems to be at the end of the wings. and i dont think i like this.
if you hold your hand under the aaw and 1 of the ymII next to it. the light is definatly brighter and more intense under the ymII.
you can also see the defference by eye loooking at the plants under each light imho.
under the ymII the plants are lit much brighter and the light is much more white.
under the aaw you can see the light on the plants is more degraded and looks more yellow than bright white.
and its not the bulbs cuz there all 3 wk old super hortilux.
idk i think i will go with the mag xxxl.

anyone else use these reflectors and have comments?

thanks barney

JH420

JH420

Hey Barney...since you already have both you're in a great position to run a couple experiements. I'd get a light meter under each and see how that checks out, as well if it's an option grow the same strain, plant numbers etc under both reflectors and see how the yeild compares. Do you have a "super spreader" for your AAW?

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
I am running 4 magnum xxxl 8"...and 1 adjust wing all 1000w The Magnums kick ass..

B

barneyfife

jh420 yea i have a super spreader on the wing.
think after this harvest ill get a mag and another dig ballast. as im also swicthing out all my old ballast for the dig.
generally one hood and one ballast with each crop so i have 2 hoods and ballast to go.

Greyskull

Greyskull

greyskull its really to early to give good comparision im only 3wk into my 1st flower with the aaw.
i will say that it definatly speads the light very well. but it is for sure less intense toward the center of the reflector.
the brightest most intense light seems to be at the end of the wings. and i dont think i like this.
if you hold your hand under the aaw and 1 of the ymII next to it. the light is definatly brighter and more intense under the ymII.
you can also see the defference by eye loooking at the plants under each light imho.
under the ymII the plants are lit much brighter and the light is much more white.
under the aaw you can see the light on the plants is more degraded and looks more yellow than bright white.
and its not the bulbs cuz there all 3 wk old super hortilux.
thanks barney

i have heard about the AAW httting the perimeters hard but leaving something to be desired for the space directly under the lights. thats the weirdest thing!

an even light spread is what's preferred....

sun systems is pretty much on top of their game....

waiting for more feedback...

thanks for the 411 thus far!

B

barneyfife

and thank you as well greyskull i always like the info in yours and zoos threads.
you 2 seem to be pretty up on your game lol. i hope we can get it over here in mich. the way you guys have it in cali. eventaully maybe someday.
anyway yea the outer edges being lit better is a fustrateing thing. i seen you mention in a few of your threads that you my give em a try.
from what im seeing thus far you may want to go with the mags. wish i had but that is what will start being rotated in now.

but i would still love to hear from folks that have feed back on either of these hoods.

btw the aaw and the mag xxxl 6" are both pricey in my area. ive been to 3 hydro stores around here and there $214-$215.
just for a hood lol im sure i could find them cheaper on internet but im just not that ordering online guy.

barney

M

Mindbender

Barney,

Your last post on the thread was in July. It's October now, did you run same strain on each type of relector? Whats your conclusion? Was there a big difference between the ah.... yeildmaster and adjust a wing?

:bandit I know a guy that will sell me large aaw refltectors for $25 each. Magnumsxxxl are pricey.

S

sirsmokealot

I have both large AAW's and a few Magnum XXXL's and if you don't need to air cool and have either an ac or cold intake air I would go with the Wings. Right now I have 1000's in each AAW and the XXXL is noticeably hotter when you put your hand under it compared to the AAW. That is with the glass removed from the magnum and obviously its not being air cooled. One large wing covers a 3x6 tray perfectly. When using the XXXL's i would use two hoods per 3x6. I have the 6" XXXls so they are slightly smaller than the 8".

P

Punk

I run the adjust a wing. they get a hot spot on the outside edge of the reflector with 1000w's. I found the spreader works, but isnt worth the 30$ imo.

I have yet to get a hood that covers a large area as well. For horizontal they are hard to beat imo.

B

barneyfife

well lets see last round came out at 3lbs that was with the aaw and 2 ym2s.
im only 3wk and 3 days into 12/12 on the current run. and now have 1 mag xxxl 6" and the 2 yldmaster2s.
the strains and plant #s are the same 8 white rhinos and 8 agent orange.

the only change is that all my ballast have been swicthed over to digital.

so give me about 6wk and i can give ya some comparsion. at least between the mag and aaw.

B

barneyfife

i got 61oz. this run. just 3oz shy of 4lb. so im liking the mag. quite well. will def be swicthing them all over to mags.will make it to the grow store by end of next wk. and pick up 2 more.
cant really do a fair comparision this time though.as i got 22 plants in there this time last 2 runs were only 16 plants.
hope this helps.

P

PuFFnNugg

The magnums should enable you to get the light much closer with proper air flow. Lumens decrease by something like 75% a foot, so ultimately closer distance will out preform everytime.

Do you have a super spreader on the Magnum? If so do you feel that the spreader design works well even though its designed for the wing? Also I've heard complaints of the spreader causing to little of a hot spot, maybe try wing without spreader. Or even better get the slimmer Equilizer diffuser and tell us how it works, lol.

I want to use diffusers on 600w hps's in cool sun hoods (eventually going to magnums), any suggestions on which diffusers to buy and what size.

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

i still haven't seen good evidence the magnums work better than hydrofarm radiant or similar. the hydrofarms claim to direct the light downward more and the magnums claim to have a wider spread. I'm wondering if the wider spread is worse because of decreased lumens per square foot or if the magnums work better because you can get them closer. I'm kind of leaning toward hydrofarm at the moment because i have 2 600's in a 5.5 x 5 room. I think the more intense light directed downward would be more beneficial than the a wider spread in such a small area. maybe I'm wrong, thats why i'm here :)

Hopefully somebody has used both and can give a good report of the similarities and differences.

I'm also wondering if the glass in the hoods reduces effective light to the plant from the air cooled hoods. things i've wondered for a while.

B

Buddy Hemphill

I'm also wondering if the glass in the hoods reduces effective light to the plant from the air cooled hoods. things i've wondered for a while.

If you dont clean those suckers....which kinda sucks. But not compared to not being able to cool your room in August....lol

I had parabolics that just wouldn't cool. The mag's fixed it.

Cleaning lenses is a small price to pay...imho...

Top Bottom