main-line topping ******best method******

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bobby34

What would folks say the average time frame would be from popping a seed to full mainlining and reaching 20 ish inches above the soil line. Topping 3 times for 8 mains??. Obviously I understand different strains and substrate will alter things. I’m just after an average from coco Growers in the know please?? Thanks

A

Aaelariadeu

Hey. A couple of Indicas, basking in winter sun. They're about 6 wks old, transplanted 2 wks ago, after being topped at 3 wks.
Early, yup, but they were 2 tall and stringy streakers out of the gate, and I was just mucking round with spares, no expectations, but they seem to be doing ok in my soil,
which is about 3 mths old, first grow in it, so just worm juice for now to get it going.
Indoor girls but I like to get them out into mother nature when I can. Will go for 8 colas but have a height prob so can't let them get too tall. ;)

IMG 5869
IMG 5713
IMG 0383

The outlaw

The outlaw

Got a question for all the experienced mainliners out there. I have let my plants get to 5 nodes and want to try mainlining but one of my plants has damage on one side of the third node, but the 2nd and 4th nodes are healthy, so can I still mainline this plant and which node should I choose for my main manifold?
Looking forward to any advice experienced mainliners can give me.
Thanx for a great thread.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

tep 2c: Secure 2 new mains at right angles from the ground

Tie down your two new mains gently, so they form a right angle from the ground (or as close as you can).

If you waited until your 5th or 6th node to start-main-lining, you'll probably be able to do this step right away. However, if your 2 mains are too small to tied down, give your plant a couple of days so the new mains can grow out. Once you have enough growth on your mains to safely bend, it's time to start tis part of Step 2c.

Each strain grows differently in each setup. Some plants need extra time to grow out new mains. Other plants will already have long enough stems already that you can tie them down directly after the last step.

Some strains respond well to bending and training, others don't. Listen to your intuition. If you do happen to snap/break one of your stems, just tape it back up with duck tape and the plant may be able to heal herself.

I tend to really be a tad rough with my marijuana plants because I'm so familiar with how they grow, and I know when I'm pushing them too hard. If you're ever worried that you're moving too fast, then give plants a day or two between each step so you can see how they will react.

Slow, gentle movements will prevent injusty, while being one of the best ways to learn what your plants like and don't like.

In a stressful environment (such as very hot temperatures, if the plant is young, or if the plant is suffering from a problem/deficiency), it's always better to err on the side of waiting a little bit too long between steps, just to give your plant time to adjust and make sure she will be able to handle the bonding / pruning / training.

This is how Nugbuckets bonds his mains down - to the extreme with thick bendy wire
Does this work for autoflowers
Happy growing

az2000

az2000

Does this work for autoflowers

No, because autoflowers have a fixed lifespan. You don't want to do anything that will cut into that time (requiring recovery, additional growth). The most you want to do is some LST'ing to keep the canopy even. I wouldn't do much of that either.

I mainlined a photosensitive once. It was impressive in its structure and colas. But, I'm not sure the time spent doing it was worth the end result. I was in a 7' tall tent. I felt like it would have been better to let the plant grow the way it wanted, and flower sooner. (But, if I were in a shorter tent maybe it would be worthwhile to mainline or scrog.).

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Got a question for all the experienced mainliners out there. I have let my plants get to 5 nodes and want to try mainlining but one of my plants has damage on one side of the third node, but the 2nd and 4th nodes are healthy, so can I still mainline this plant and which node should I choose for my main manifold?
If they're healthy nodes then choose whichever you like more, it will survive either as long as there is enough foliage growing on the nodes. Take a look at the most recent set of pictures above, looks like it was topped at the first node. So as long as its growing vigorously, aka healthy it will survive a deep top like at the 2nd node

morugawelder

morugawelder

you can do 4th , you'll be removing all below but one set of leaves

The outlaw

The outlaw

If they're healthy nodes then choose whichever you like more, it will survive either as long as there is enough foliage growing on the nodes. Take a look at the most recent set of pictures above, looks like it was topped at the first node. So as long as its growing vigorously, aka healthy it will survive a deep top like at the 2nd node
Thanx man I appreciate the advice, mainlining is something I have no experience in so I really appreciate advice from more experienced growers and I will take a look at that oneplant again and decide which node to start the manifold. If you you ever need advice on how to grow in hurricane conditions look me up,. Thanx😯

B

bobby34

I’m on the look out for decent mother’s,, Is it ok to start Mainlining regular plants as you would normally before it’s shown it’s sex??.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

After a few grows dont mainline. Dont top. Waste of fucking time. Stressed plant. Takes time to recover. stunts growth for a bit.

If you keep your lights close to the plant. And just let em em grow. Most of them will fight for light, the lower branches will grow outwards and up to make an even canopy. Just sprouted 22 seeds. 4 diff strains..and 80 percent of them grew 6-10 even cola branches on their own without any topping. I waited till they were 3 weeks in veg And 7 or 8 nodes high and they had already fimmed (topped) themselves. I did however top them on the 3rd week, well not even topped, I just cur an inch of the top stem off. Not just new growth. And that was just because I like 18" plants. View attachment 958475View attachment 958476

It's all fucking genetics. If you got time to waste, sure, top or mainline. If you dont let the genetics do their thing
Someone like me just grows for the fun of it. One crop a year will be enough for me and all of my buddies. (Probably) lol I will say though that so far from what I have seen, you are spot on. My mainline plants look like they are 3 weeks younger than the others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom