main-line topping ******best method******

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

has anyone done both mainlining and scrog together? what are the yielding results? which one actually yields more?
For me mainline seems more convenient because I will remove my plants to inspect and defoliate. Just my opinion. I plan on mainline training all my plants.

lilnew

lilnew

For me mainline seems more convenient because I will remove my plants to inspect and defoliate. Just my opinion. I plan on mainline training all my plants.
ya, it does seem more convenient as you just have to do all the work early on and nothing later down the road. but i was thinking has anyone done the mainlining method along with scrog?

420charlie

420charlie

ya, it does seem more convenient as you just have to do all the work early on and nothing later down the road. but i was thinking has anyone done the mainlining method along with scrog?
Yea man I mainlined mine outside of the scrog and when I flipped I put them under the net. I’m harvesting next weekend. Don’t have a comparison but I like what I got.
4E192B01 EAC0 412F BFF4 05FBF65D8F7A
385B6EF9 E011 4B54 A845 F527066EB0AF

I am anticipating a pound out of my 3x3

420charlie

420charlie

😋

1 question is how tall would you estimate the gorilla glue plants will be b4 switching them to flower?
My GG4’s have doubled in height every time. This will vary based on pheno- mine are all clones off the same mom.

lilnew

lilnew

Yea man I mainlined mine outside of the scrog and when I flipped I put them under the net. I’m harvesting next weekend. Don’t have a comparison but I like what I got. View attachment 993404View attachment 993405
I am anticipating a pound out of my 3x3
those girls look really happy and healthy. keep me posted on the outcome at the harvest✌✌so do you thing mainlining + scrog will yield better than the original top once scrog method? how long was ur veg cycle?

420charlie

420charlie

are you able to mainline a clone or does it have to start from seed??
All of my mainlined are from clone, scroll back a page and you can see the progression of mine. Just got to battle the asymmetrical node growth.
823DCD94 0F89 46F2 9A9E 5DE6AD850E71
3892ABAC 4557 450F 9401 FEF85CF422BA

420charlie

420charlie

those girls look really happy and healthy. keep me posted on the outcome at the harvest✌✌so do you thing mainlining + scrog will yield better than the original top once scrog method? how long was ur veg cycle?
I vegged for 8 weeks (while waiting for flower chamber to be available)- would have been happy with 6.. it’s all a bit overgrown tbh. This is only my second round so I can’t answer the comparison question accurately. I think your fill the canopy faster without mainlining- but mainlining gives you the massive colas and smaller buds fill everything else out.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

I got ya. For comparison. I would imagine scrog would be better for sativa leaners vs indica. With scrog the size of your space is the limit I would imagine. Im still on my 1st grow so I have a lot to learn still. Lol

lilnew

lilnew

I vegged for 8 weeks (while waiting for flower chamber to be available)- would have been happy with 6.. it’s all a bit overgrown tbh. This is only my second round so I can’t answer the comparison question accurately. I think your fill the canopy faster without mainlining- but mainlining gives you the massive colas and smaller buds fill everything else out.
thx for the info, i'm dying to try out the setup. hopefully it will turn out great as i will be running it in a grow room where yield is everything. you pinched it to make it symmetrical right? and also will it be longer in veg with mainlining? if you are saying it would be around 6-8 weeks in veg then i dont think it's that huge a difference or do you think otherwise?

lilnew

lilnew

I got ya. For comparison. I would imagine scrog would be better for sativa leaners vs indica. With scrog the size of your space is the limit I would imagine. Im still on my 1st grow so I have a lot to learn still. Lol
no worries, we are all learning everyday😄 that's why there are pro growers here sharing their experience

420charlie

420charlie

thx for the info, i'm dying to try out the setup. hopefully it will turn out great as i will be running it in a grow room where yield is everything. you pinched it to make it symmetrical right? and also will it be longer in veg with mainlining? if you are saying it would be around 6-8 weeks in veg then i dont think it's that huge a difference or do you think otherwise?
Yeah I pinch the main stem and do my best to level it out with the node accross from it. 6-8 weeks for mainlining in my specific situation yea, growing in coco, organic amendments. Could be faster with out mainlining I believe as mainlining does slow everything down. A couple days of slow growth every time you too but in the long run you have a more organized flowering chamber?
If I had more room I wouldn’t grow so densely, I just smoke about a pound every 8 weeks so I gotta make use of every inch of my tent.

lilnew

lilnew

Yeah I pinch the main stem and do my best to level it out with the node accross from it. 6-8 weeks for mainlining in my specific situation yea, growing in coco, organic amendments. Could be faster with out mainlining I believe as mainlining does slow everything down. A couple days of slow growth every time you too but in the long run you have a more organized flowering chamber?
If I had more room I wouldn’t grow so densely, I just smoke about a pound every 8 weeks so I gotta make use of every inch of my tent.
lol..i hear you...what size are you growing in and how many plants are you running? and what are you averaging right now per harvest?

420charlie

420charlie

lol..i hear you...what size are you growing in and how many plants are you running? and what are you averaging right now per harvest?
My first grow was only two plants and they weren’t this big- got a quarter pound but it is certainly no baseline.
this time each plant is looking like a QP- I have four of them in a 3x3.

LeaveNoDoubts

LeaveNoDoubts

Hello. I see some differing methods of what to do exactly after the third topping and I have a few questions about it.
The OP in post #20 says to grow the plant 20 inches before flower. I am curious of what is the purpose of this extra growth between then time you have your 8 tops and flowering.
And while speaking of this new growth between the tops and the final topping I have seen some lollipop so there is only tops and 2 fan leaves and some leave all leaves and remove some or all growth tips right before flowering.
What are current opinions/best method on this?

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Hello. I see some differing methods of what to do exactly after the third topping and I have a few questions about it.
The OP in post #20 says to grow the plant 20 inches before flower. I am curious of what is the purpose of this extra growth between then time you have your 8 tops and flowering.
And while speaking of this new growth between the tops and the final topping I have seen some lollipop so there is only tops and 2 fan leaves and some leave all leaves and remove some or all growth tips right before flowering.
What are current opinions/best method on this?
The method I did for my 1st attempt is I decided on 16 colas. I mainlined 2 plants and one was a male! Was told it was feminized seed lol. I basically pinched off all the bottom few growth tips and should have cut a few more up the plant IMO. I grew Ethos Citral Glue as mainline. I flipped at 26-30" and final stretch was to 49-50" yield was huge. I got 11 quart jars with 2 of them as kinda larfy non dense budzzzz I'll use on the vape. I only got 12 jars out of the other 3 plants total. 2 being larf mix for the vape. Very happy with mainline. I know theres more sativa in the Citral Glue than the Obama Kush and Dracarys. Dracarys is fire! Really liked that pheno. They are ALL fire but Dracarys stood apart for me.
20200630 055325

Top Bottom