Main Stem Turns Yellow And Doesn't Seem To Grow. What's Happening?

• Thread starter hkh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hkh

hkh

Hi everyone. I've come across a weird problem in my last couple grows and I can't figure out what's happening. I grow outdoors, in an organic soil mix.

The problem becomes noticeable shortly after I transplant the plant from it's seedling plastic pots to their fabric pots. The main stem turns a pale yellow from the base running a few inches high. From that point on, that part of the stem does not grow in any way.

I had a couple plants do that in my last batch. The higher parts of the stem continued to grow and I got a meager harvest at best. I see 2 plants develop the same problem this batch (Ripley's OG Auto and Green Crack Auto).

I transplanted the green crack about a couple weeks ago and the Ripley's within the past week. Pics are attached.

Any idea what might be going on?

Main stem turns yellow and doesnt seem to grow whats happening
Main stem turns yellow and doesnt seem to grow whats happening 2
Dunge

Dunge

I have been growing autos every summer for about 7 years, and tracking my own auto project for three.
Selecting for timing of growth and flower is what makes an auto flower worth growing.
To flower too early is almost a big a fail as never flowering.
I have had as many as three runts out of a 6 pack of commercial seeds.
The only ones I have seen fail to flower were my own f2 seeds that had a failure to flower.
Grew out a bunch of plants that looked perfect and 5 foot tall with no chance to produce before freeze up.
But I have seven lines of f3 seeds from plants that showed good growth and timing characteristics, and all are grey mold resistant.

My point is, there was nothing you did wrong.
So many good regular seeds out there, I'd suggest you grow some.
You get to decide how big they get before you put them into flower.

hkh

hkh

Buy 'regular seeds, do you mean photo-period seeds? Sounds like you're saying that autos are prone to this, yes?

Dunge

Dunge

Buy 'regular seeds, do you mean photo-period seeds? Sounds like you're saying that autos are prone to this, yes?
yes
It's a failed seed.
Try a different breeder or grow photo-period seed.

Reactions: hkh
str8smokn

str8smokn

Yep . Plant Autos in the contain they will finish in. 3 gal in just right unless your running a XXL type of Auto.
The growth cycle is to short to deal with the transplant shock due to repotting. It takes 2-3 weeks out of the finishing time.
And results in small unfinished buds.
There’s tons of threads in the Grow Diaries under Autos
STR8

Reactions: hkh
hkh

hkh

Yep . Plant Autos in the contain they will finish in. 3 gal in just right unless your running a XXL type of Auto.
The growth cycle is to short to deal with the transplant shock due to repotting. It takes 2-3 weeks out of the finishing time.
And results in small unfinished buds.
There’s tons of threads in the Grow Diaries under Autos
STR8
Thanks for the reply @str8smokn . I can actually connect what you're saying to what I see happening to my plants right now. Almost all of them this batch didn't take the transplant well...I guess I was just lucky with my last set.

Appreciate the help all...I'm going to get this right!

Latest posts

Top Bottom