Mainlining - when to stop removing tops?

• Thread starter DrtyHarry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Hey All!

So I'm doing my first mainline. Was told to strip everything below the satellites on each branch 2 days before going to flower.

I'm day 4 in flower, and a lot more mini tops started coming out along the branch. Do I pinch / snip them off? When do I stop doing that, or should I all ready have since I'm 4 days into flower. Thought I should to avoid extra branching. Thanks for the help.

DH

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Hey All!

So I'm doing my first mainline. Was told to strip everything below the satellites on each branch 2 days before going to flower.

I'm day 4 in flower, and a lot more mini tops started coming out along the branch. Do I pinch / snip them off? When do I stop doing that, or should I all ready have since I'm 4 days into flower. Thought I should to avoid extra branching. Thanks for the help.

DH
I kept pinching all thru flower to keep focus on bud tops. I'm not sure if that's proper way to do it but worked for me

Munch517

Munch517

I'm experimenting with this now, I went with 16 tops per plant with 4 plants in a 4x4 space. Here's a comparison of my last two grows, both at around day 41 for comparison:

Last round when I had one light, two gorilla glue, three do-si-do (three plants have 16 tops, two have 8). I cut almost all the lower branches off leaving a sparse canopy, I think this was a mistake. I also didn't add CO2 until week 3 or 4 of flower. The harvest was lower than my first where I used low stress training and had a denser canopy.
IMG 20191115 212604

My current grow, now with a second light, 4 gorilla glue and 4 do-si-do (all plants have 16 tops). I have only cut off the minimum number of branches since flower started and done less defoliation, I'm going to do a little more thinning next time around but not much more. I expect this to be a much better per light harvest than last time, I think I'm pretty close to being settled on my plant training regimen. One piece of advice I can confidently offer is to try to fill your canopy as completely and at as even of a height as possible then place your light as close as you can get away with, all while keeping good airflow in mind.
IMG 20200219 043539
IMG 20200219 043545

DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I kept pinching all thru flower to keep focus on bud tops. I'm not sure if that's proper way to do it but worked for me

4-5 days into flower I kept seeing more and more tops. I have been cutting them, for the same reason you stated. I just hope I don't end up with smaller buds....or even worst and kill em.

I can't find out anywhere if I should continue this practice? Theoretically....it makes sense. It worked for you, so I feel a bit better.

Anyway to confirm? How long into flower does the plant continue to try and make tops?

Thanks!!

DH

Munch517

Munch517

Like I said in my earlier reply it's about spreading your canopy out to use up all the light that's intense enough, if you can easily see through your canopy you're wasting light and losing potential yield. If you cut too many branches you will sacrifice yield, if you let too many grow you'll end up with a tangled mess and be at risk of mold/mildew. There is no simple answer, you just have to get a feel based on your situation and learn.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Plants never stop producing new stuff lol, always work to do, don't have to be perfect though

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Just take off useless parts, as stated by Munch, it doesn't have to be perfectly bare underneath just well kept

DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Thanks guys!

I just keep noticing new tops just about every day on the main branches, just at the very top.

I keep snipping them....I take it that by doing this I am getting rid of those smaller popcorn nugs that develop around the main stems?

Oh....a bit OT. But can someone post a link to where I can get more info on defoilation for mainlined plants in flower? Was told to do so, but carefully and correctly. Not now....not exactly sure when.

Again, thank you gentlemen!

DH

cottageman

cottageman

Thanks guys!

I just keep noticing new tops just about every day on the main branches, just at the very top.

I keep snipping them....I take it that by doing this I am getting rid of those smaller popcorn nugs that develop around the main stems?

Oh....a bit OT. But can someone post a link to where I can get more info on defoilation for mainlined plants in flower? Was told to do so, but carefully and correctly. Not now....not exactly sure when.

Again, thank you gentlemen!

DH
There is no right answer when it comes to defoliating like this. There’s so many variables that you kinda just need to figure out what your plant responds to best in your environment. Some strains love getting plucked some hate it and some don’t notice either way. Some of my og’s I strip everything except the top 3 nodes on each branch, but my Kush I leave the bud sites alone and just de leaf heavy on day 1 and 21 of flower. I see a lot of people strip on day 1 and 21, some do it on veg just before flip and some don’t! I’d start on the safe side and remove more of the plant seems to respond well to it

DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Day 11 of flower and a lot of the new tops are almost 2" but are dense and different than the tops during veg. I'm growing a few types of strains and have no idea if I should continue to cut them or leave them. Anyone have a link to more info?

It's getting really thick in there, the tops all have good light and look to be really strong. My understanding is, that come week 3, defoilate again? How much? Thanks!

DH

Top Bottom