Majority Backs Medical Marijuana, but Feds Won't Budge

• Thread starter wyattthewiteboi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wyattthewiteboi

http://www.sphere.com/nation/article/majority-backs-medical-marijuana-but-feds-wont-budge/19324337

(Jan. 20) -- When it comes to reforming the nation's health care system, Americans are firmly divided. But a surprisingly large majority now agrees that if you're sick, you should be allowed to pass the peace pipe.

Eighty-one percent of U.S. adults favor legalizing marijuana in a medical context, according to a telephone poll conducted by ABC News and the Washington Post last week. In 1997, 69 percent of respondents were in favor of the idea.

The news led some, such as the Raw Story's Stephen C. Webster, to conclude that "the medical marijuana debate among American voters is over." Indeed, voters in nine states have approved medical marijuana provisions, beginning with California in 1996.

But it's not just citizens who are catching whiffs of a budding new era: The legislatures of five other states, most recently New Jersey, also passed their own laws setting up specific, government-sponsored programs that provide controlled access to the plant to ill patients -- bringing to 14 the grand total of states where medical marijuana is available.

Studies have shown that marijuana can help fight pain in some patients and ease nausea that often accompanies cancer treatments.

Despite the Obama administration's recently stated tolerance for state-sponsored medical marijuana measures (the Justice Department announced last year it won't prosecute patients abiding by state laws), pot is an illegal drug under federal law, and users can be punished under a number of strict penalties. Since 1970, the DEA has classified marijuana as a Schedule 1 substance, alongside heroin and LSD, all of which have been deemed to have a "high potential for abuse" and "no currently accepted medical use."

Yet scientists seeking federal clearance to grow and study their own marijuana crops for therapeutic effects continue to find their requests rebuffed. "Marijuana is the only major drug for which the federal government controls the only legal research supply and for which the government requires a special scientific review," The New York Times reports. That supply is grown on a single plantation at the University of Mississippi. Meanwhile, scientists investigating other illegal drugs such as LSD can turn to many other suppliers.

Despite strong support from local voters, state efforts to allow medical marijuana use often have gone up in smoke because of federal restrictions.

The first to fail was Arizona. Voters approved a ballot measure in 1996 allowing physicians to prescribe the drug. But they are barred from doing so professionally since it is against federal law. Some states got around this barrier by using other words such as "recommend" instead of "prescribe." A new provision to change Arizona's medical marijuana wording is gaining steam and may end up on the ballot later this year, CollegeNews reports.

In 1998, the District of Columbia's vote to legalize medical marijuana was superseded by congressional action. Congress recently cleared the way for the medical marijuana program to begin, though, so the D.C. council is moving ahead with plans to set up five dispensaries.

Finally, in 2003, Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich signed a bill that allows people arrested and prosecuted on possession charges to use "medicinal necessity" in their defense, which they must prove with a physician's recommendation. But the state's terminally patients are still irked that they have turn to unreliable black market sources to procure their medicine.

So while medical marijuana activists can cheer at the news that voters are on their side, the government is still in many cases behind the (high) times.
Filed under: Nation, Health, Only On Sphere

Free the weed
D

Donk Frog

Go figure...... Government not listening to the people that elected them....but we all live in FREE COUNTRIES RIGHT?...lol...not

W

wyattthewiteboi

well i do think we went about trying to legaize it the wrong way instead of using it for meds witch it can be we should have brought its out as a way for the us to make money if we could set up a good plan to regulate and tax and show them the types of numbers in tax's i think it would be legel the next day nation wide

A

afatsoweezer

Timely post, wyattthewiteboi ... I just sent Obama a request to look into a snag in our healthcare system. VA doctors and those who work at public health departments are afraid to sign medical marijuana permits for fear of losing their license, and I asked if there was anything he could to alleviate their concern.

One thing, disabled patients on Social Security cannot afford to hire a separate doctor annually just to sign a permit and many who desperately need MMJ aren't getting their meds. I'll be interested to see if I even get a reply, and if I do, what he or his staff will say in response.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Medical marijuana, for its part, receives majority support across the political and ideological
spectrum, from 68 percent of conservatives and 72 percent of Republicans as well as 85 percent of Democrats and independents and about nine in 10 liberals and moderates. Support slips to 69 percent among seniors, vs. 83 percent among all adults under age 65.
Age is a factor. Just 23 percent of senior citizens favor legalizing marijuana for
personal use; that jumps to 51 percent of adults under age 65.

The big takeaway: Old people don't like it when others, especially young people, have fun and enjoy their individual lives the way they want. I'm sure if there was a way to eliminate the enjoyment of sex/reproduction/procreation, they would favor that as well.

Top Bottom