make S1 or BX1?

• Thread starter Kuntjoose
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kuntjoose

Kuntjoose

personaly i would use that nice male and keep clones for outside. no reason i can see to make s1's if u got a good male and can keep clones for outdoor.

P

ProGroWannabe

I second Kuntjoose's theory there. If your gonna make seed, and have a male from the line, then by all means use the male. You can always play one male/one female to make a few fems with if ya want, but I'd definitely have the majority of my seed stock being standard, not fem. But hey......it is YOUR project bro. I'm just stating what I would do.

C

Charles Xavier

Greetings RatherRipped

I would consider attempting both of your stated options, as well as, the offered suggestion of asexual propogation.

The reason for 'selfing' is: by utilizing this method one is essentially creating an inbred generation (fn+1). This is a necessary step if trait stabilization of the recurrent P1 is the goal.

In other words...if for insurance purposes you desire a marginally close representation of the 'mother plant' in seed form, then creating a generation that is a full expression of her genotype is needed in order for selection to be directed.

Of course, somewhat contrary to prevailing attitudes, your best insurance policy against loss is to ensure that cuttings of the specimen in question are in the gardens of various serious cultivators.

Sincerely,
Charles.

P

ProGroWannabe

LOL...Og Kush x The White sure looks like a frost-bomb. It's up for auction right now.......if ya pockets are deep enough...? Mine aren't.

Q

Quicksilver

..i'm just trying to avoid running the same clone over and over. too boring for hobby growing.

Couldn't agree more. Even if there was such a thing as a 'holy grail' plant, and I had it, can't see myself being satisfied without exploring possibilities of the new and untested.

I'd say follow the plan that leaves you the most options open for the future. If the mom is exceptional, take clones and share with friends if that's an option. Use the male you have, but especially if he's not already proven in multiple crosses, I'd reverse the killer mom and make S1's if you can.
Good luck with your projects, keep us informed.

B

blackone

Finding or creating a good mom is so much easier than finding a good dad - so you might as well get started - who knows you might get lucky with that male:)

Top Bottom