Make Your Own Fish Hydrosylate

• Thread starter Samoan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Samoan

Samoan

I wanted to make my own fish Hydrosylate so looked up some recipes online. Lots of good and bad info here but much mahalos to those taking there time put out good stuff...I took my Hawaiian sling or '3prong' and went out front and harvested some fresh reef fish. These fish eat algae and different Hawaiian seaweed as well as other fish and crustaceans, even coral...species. Manini, Moano or Goatfish, Nenui, and aholehole or big eyed scad. I tried to collect a little of a spectrum of fish...I want to go out deeper and get some deeper game off the kayak to add, more spectrum more better? Who knows but I would like to find out...HOW CAN I TEST THE STREGTH OF MY FISH HYDROSYLATE?

Make your own fish hydrosylate
Samoan

Samoan

I cut the fresh fish up and put then out them in a blender. I will recommend...that you sharpen your knife real good first! ...and if your blender isn't very strong I will recommend blending one fish at a time. My blender was burning out a bit....AND HEATING UP! So be careful not to blend your fish too much, because i believe I got a little inpatient and when I scooped one of the blended fish out it was warm...what could be a possible result of this?

Samoan

Samoan

So I read that you should leave around 10% extra space in your fermentation container when making EM-1. ...I didn't do this when I made it.

What about for fish HYDROSYLATE?

My 1.5L jug was filled about half or less than half full of fresh fish gurry.
I then poured my AEM1 until it filled up the neck...a little over 1.5L.
I have watched a you tube video, the farmer just made sure that the AEM1 floated the Gurry about 2"

Samoan

Samoan

Also, glass jugs, I do enjoy me some cheap wine, especially when I get free bottles...How do they serve as vessels for, Nutrient Mixtures / AEM1 / Fish Hydrosylate? Carlos Rossi Wine Jugs...1.5L @ around $7.99 4.0L @'around $13.49

Samoan

Samoan

8143115.jpg

Fish hydrolysate is an awesome product for promoting plant growth. It’s high in Nitrogen, can be naturally produced, and is an awesome food for microbes. Fungi love it and it is easily produced at home. We use it as straight fertiliser, animal supplement and an ingredient in compost teas (Fungi: Bacteria balanced- Fungi orientated).

Fish hydrolysate is composed of fish and glucose based sugars and uses lacto bacillus to break everything down using enzymes. Fish hydryolysate doesn’t undergo the heating and skimming process that you get with fish emulsion products. Heating breaks down beneficial amino acid chains and this cold process also retains the fats and oils that microbes love.

How to make it;

1. Get some fish, you might as well use fish discards like fish heads, guts, etc. We use whole fish as there are naturally wider range of nutrients present.

2. Cut fish into chunks then either blend or run through a meat mincer. The finer the fish bits, the more effective the fermentation.
9682069_orig.jpg

Cut fish into chunks
2886681_orig.jpg

Blend or mince fish
3. Add water. We're adding 3 parts water to 1 part ferment material. (1litre fish mince: 3 litre water) ALWAYS USE NON-CHLORINATED WATER. Chlorine kills microbes.
1402260217.png

Add sugars 3:1: here 750g fish:250g Sugarcane Molasses
4. Add 3:1 Fish: Sugar. Sugarcane molasses or Raw (unrefined/ unbleached) sugar is good.

5. Add lacto bacilli to blended fish mixture. Approx. 2tbsp per L. We used liquid from a Lacto ferment, eg, Kimchi/ Sauerkraut.

6. Now you have liquefied fish, sugar, and lacto. Pour this mixture into a container to ferment. Cover with a cloth/ mesh to stop insects, etc. The process takes anywhere from 2 weeks to over a month. You know its finished by the smell. During fermentation there is a pungent smell, but once completed there should be little more than a faint vinegar smell.

7. Transfer it to a smaller container.

How to use;

Mix 0.5tbsp/litre for applications.

Plants
· Use as a soil drench as opposed to foliar spray.
· Inoculate compost to boost fungal population.
· Use in compost teas to boost fungal growth, add Nitrogen. Use at ¼ strength for this application
· Mix in water when watering plants, as a natural fish fertilizer and to enhance populations of micro-organisms in the soil

Animals
· Mix with water for an effective protein/lacto boost for your animals. They'll love or hate it

1784963_orig.jpg

Lacto bacillus going into the mix...

Samoan

Samoan

The next day I check on the ferment and a lot had bubbled out of the s-type bubble airlock that is plugging the 1.5L wine jug...Next time I will use the larger jug and try to leave a lot more room, I'm wondering if that will speed up the process as well as not make a stinky mess as it was sitting in a small puddle of Sweet stinky fish kombucha, I thought I smelled something...I'm observing a lot of action going on, Which is what I'm guessing is the lacto bacilli going to work on breaking down the fish gurry...

P

PharmHand

This is the worst smelling stuff ever, I put the jar in a bucket with a lid on it...
I've been to the factory where they make pacific natural fresh fish fertilizer ( fish hydrolysate)........... The smell is extreme....
Not for the weak of stomach..... The plants love it tho and the actual product doesn't smell nearly as bad. Must reach a point of decomposition eventually that doesn't smell as bad. My family's Norwegian, they eat fermented fish over there, rakfisk and lutefisk ,shits so nasty but really good for you:puke2:

Top Bottom