Making a small batch of soil.

• Thread starter Natep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Natep

I’m getting ready to make a small batch of organic soil. I am planning on using 1 part peat moss 1 part pumice 1/2 part worm castings( from my worm farm) 1/2 part compost ( locally sourced) for dry amendments I plan on using build a soils craft blend. I was thinking a cup per gallon. I also plan on adding a pre charged bio char, basalt some chicken scratch. You guys think of anything I’m missing?

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Peat, unfortunately, is a non-renewable resource. I understand it works well with cannabis, though, probably because of its acidity. I believe that doesn't matter for organic growing.

I recommend adding something like Great White, which contains beneficial bacteria.

Pumice is commonly used with succulents or sandy soil. From what I've seen, most growers use perlite. In addition to perlite, I use organics like rice hulls (which also adds silica) or coco coir. So far, coco coir has been 1/8 of my mix.

I've thought about using biochar, but haven't yet. I'd be interested in how that works for you.

Do you plan to reuse your soil? I do, so my mixes already contain amendments.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I’m getting ready to make a small batch of organic soil. I am planning on using 1 part peat moss 1 part pumice 1/2 part worm castings( from my worm farm) 1/2 part compost ( locally sourced) for dry amendments I plan on using build a soils craft blend. I was thinking a cup per gallon. I also plan on adding a pre charged bio char, basalt some chicken scratch. You guys think of anything I’m missing?
Did you get testing for your local compost? That can be a hidden poison pill to your soil

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

Howdy you are missing the most important part ph adjustment lime and sulfur i use i use pro mix hp,1tbs a gallon KIS mix, a sprinkle of calphous rock phosphate under roots,a tsp a gallon KIS fish meal, 1/4 cup worm castings the bio char is in the castings, i run it through my worm bin and Bio Mass when watering at 7.0 ph both water and soil ph i usually reuse my soil but i had to flush so i had to buy a bag of happy frog and did that recipe with that this time my bed is ready now no chemicals AT ALL the whole round! ✌️

IMG20231222161950
IMG20231219123212
IMG20231219135200
IMG20231126074642
IMG20231219123200
N

Natep

Peat, unfortunately, is a non-renewable resource. I understand it works well with cannabis, though, probably because of its acidity. I believe that doesn't matter for organic growing.

I recommend adding something like Great White, which contains beneficial bacteria.

Pumice is commonly used with succulents or sandy soil. From what I've seen, most growers use perlite. In addition to perlite, I use organics like rice hulls (which also adds silica) or coco coir. So far, coco coir has been 1/8 of my mix.

I've thought about using biochar, but haven't yet. I'd be interested in how that works for you.

Do you plan to reuse your soil? I do, so my mixes already contain the pumice is a must

Do you plan to reuse your soil? I do, so my mixes already contain amendments.
i plan on using pumice for 1 reason. Perlite in a long term grow will float to the top. Pumice will stay where you mixed it in. The microrizan that is in great white is in the bio char. I will also add more plus some imo2. This soil will be used for my next four grows. It seems like number five is to many for the small amount of soil in this pot

N

Natep

Howdy you are missing the most important part ph adjustment lime and sulfur i use i use pro mix hp,1tbs a gallon KIS mix, a sprinkle of calphous rock phosphate under roots,a tsp a gallon KIS fish meal, 1/4 cup worm castings the bio char is in the castings, i run it through my worm bin and Bio Mass when watering at 7.0 ph both water and soil ph i usually reuse my soil but i had to flush so i had to buy a bag of happy frog and did that recipe with that this time my bed is ready now no chemicals AT ALL the whole round! ✌️
The basalt is volcanic rock dust. How are you adding bio char to your worm castings?

Top Bottom