Making an open source drying device -- help us get it right

• Thread starter mmob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mmob

Introduction first: I am a software engineer, and I am teaming up with an electric engineer.
We want to build a cabinet where you place your wet buds, and that it will dry them AND cure them.
The closest thing on the market at the moment is the pricey Cannatrol.
Our idea is to make something like the CoolCure: you get an existing sealed cabinet, and then you make holes in it and place the components (the vent, the peltier cooling element, etc) in the holes. We will release all circuits, wiring, and 3D files to print the thing yourself.

We need GOOD ideas, GOOD hints, and help. The result will only be good if we get good help. I think the Cannatrol only has a Peltier cooling system. So, I am very confused in that how they manage to target humidity and temperature at the same time. I also don't want to create a clone of an existing product, but something BETTER.

Anyone here who can help with knowledge, ideas, hints, dos and donts?

M

mmob

I'd love your opinion on this...

Something escapes me… The Cannatrol cabinet will:

1. Dry with 68F (temperature) and /54F (dew point). Relative Humidity: 61%**. Water Vapor Pressure : 1,424 Pa
  2. Cure with 68F (temperature) and 52F (dew point). Relative Humidity: 56.60%. Water Vapor Pressure : 1,324 Pa
  3. Store with 68F (temperature) and 54F (dew point). Again Relative Humidity: 61%**. Water Vapor Pressure : 1,424 Pa
So… if I build something that will keep those parameters stable in a cabinet, with a dehumidifier and a peltier cooler/warming element, that should be it… right?

But then again, is “jarring” the same as this?

1. Cure with 68F (temperature) and 52F (dew point). Relative Humidity: 56.60%. Water Vapor Pressure : 1,324 Pa
Does it really “cure it”, without placing the product in a jar?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
No, curing takes place in the jar over time.
But you can jump start the curing process with low temps and the proper humidity in the drying space, I use plastic tubs for the curing process before mason jars are used
5244A1FD 13FB 4EE7 93A5 10BFF729C33E

D

DougV

How do the large commercial guys cure? I see walk in cure rooms, but not enough info to understand them. I have a canning room that is remarkably stable in terms of temperature and its size makes it easy to control humidity. Works great for drying. I’d love to think I could just leave them hanging. For tobacco, drying and curing are synonyms. The reasons you cure marijuana and tobacco are the same. Is the container cure thing a myth? I don’t really understand the reasons for a sealed container. I get why you need to burb to allow for outgassing, but if I don’t seal I don’t need to burp. Fluid motion is different sealed vs unsealed. In sealed you are allowing moisture to be wicked from the moist interior to the dryer exterior, in open environment that dynamic is changed. But does that matter?

There are advantages to curing in an open fashion. Reduced risk of mold/fungi. Reduced costs, as in no sealed containers. Easier, just wait longer. Potentially reduced THC loss due to reduced handling. What I don’t fully understand is how taste would be affected. For the life of me I can’t see how sealing in a jar can improve taste vs an open environment with good environmental control. Having said this, I cure in sealed containers, I just don’t want to.

For decades Cuban cigars purchased before the ban were kept in humidors and sold. They were well cured and never kept sealed. Can we do the same?

Top Bottom