Making BHO from contaminated bud?

• Thread starter OCKushCollector
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

Probably a stupid question but here it goes. I wouldn't think of using it for water hash but since BHO is a completely different extraction method, is it safe or not to use contaminated herb to run BHO? I have a bunch of bud/trim that was attacked by catepillars and ended up moldy with catepillar crap in it. Also, the jar was knocked over in my closet so I picked it up off the dirty floor and saved it just in case I could still use it.

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

thats the exact kind of material i make bho out of. well, i've never bothered with botrytis buds but if its just a mold smell from underdrying and jarring too soon, then bho all the way. seems to come out clean and golden and sterile regardless of how retarded the material is.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Yuk I sure wouldn't use it.. But that's juss me I always use the best stuff possaible.. If u use killer stuff u get killer results.. I have friends that use crap & they get crap back in return.. But like I said that's juss my thoughts..

Graywolf

Graywolf

If you extract it using alcohol, or BHO and redissolve in alcohol, you can filter it down to 0.2 microns, which takes out all the fecal material and bacteria, using the same principles as if you were purifying drinking water with a micro filtration unit.

We vacuum prefilter using a Whatman #1 and then finish off with a 0.2 micron syringe filter.

Graywolf

Graywolf

does the mold dissolve in the alcohol as well tho?

The mold bodies or spores do not dissolve in the alcohol and are filtered out at 0.02 microns, as is everything else, from the smallest bacteria size and larger.

Moldy smelling and tasting oil has no moldy taste or smell after filtration at that level.

I only suggest this for bud rot and powdery mildew, because some strains of mold like Aspergillus, leave behind deadly aflatoxins, which aren't filtered out.

I recommend looking at the moldy material under a microscope to determine which strain you have. It is sort of like eating wild mushrooms, in that it is important to pick and choose which ones and how much.

Aspergillus are the composting mold strains, which you get from improper drying and curing, so if you material got moldy for those reasons, be sure and look closely and if you don't know why your oil is moldy, I don't recommend chancing it.

Even though Aspergillus puts out deadly aflatoxins, most of us, including myself, have smoked our fair share of it over the years with impunity, because the poison is in the dosage and it tastes so bad at high concentration that it somewhat limits just how moldy a material we smoke.

The other thing of course is that immune compromised folks are most vulnerable, and it is capable of producing a Type 1 allergic reaction in folks sensitive to it, so taking it lightly would be a mistake.

manitoid.

manitoid.

Haven't had a problem running buds that had PM, I use a 50 micron screen.

Graywolf

Graywolf

We filter all moldy material to 0.2 microns, because the botrytis mold chonidia at the largest dimension is only 15 microns and most are smaller.

Some bacteria associated with anaerobic decay like botulism and reported in moldy cannabis samples, also are as small as 0.2 microns.

tab4-2k10-118-123.gif

C

cctt

We filter all moldy material to 0.2 microns, because the botrytis mold chonidia at the largest dimension is only 15 microns and most are smaller.
I can find a <5µm paper filter that fits right in my büchner funnel. Skipping the syringe would be a good bit easier. Does this sound like an unwise decision? The material used for this extraction had a mild case of botrytis in the center of the larger buds.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I look at it like this....youre concentrating the shit...both the good and the bad. So the levels of contaminants in your end product will be much more concentrated than it would be on the plant itself. Does that sound safe? MGG

C

cctt

Too late to edit my above post but I just found better - 1.45 µm filter paper

Graywolf

Graywolf

I can find a <5µm paper filter that fits right in my büchner funnel. Skipping the syringe would be a good bit easier. Does this sound like an unwise decision? The material used for this extraction had a mild case of botrytis in the center of the larger buds.

5 micron isn't fine enough to take out the spores and, but it is a very good pre-filtration before filtering to 0.2 micron. If you don't pre-filter, you will go through a truck load of syringe filters.

C

cctt

5 micron isn't fine enough to take out the spores and, but it is a very good pre-filtration before filtering to 0.2 micron. If you don't pre-filter, you will go through a truck load of syringe filters.
Thanks. I ended up ordering some 1 micron paper for the büchner. Still not fine enough?

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Lol. 2 micron is not .2 micron. Which is what gray wolf reccomends. Which I would follow pretty close if not the same. But 1 micron isn't bad. Still 20% of .2 though.

So you would pass through the 1 micron as a pre filter now... Then I would suck your solution up a syringe from your Buchner and onto whatever your purging on.

Here are some quality filters, although there are plenty different brands. Smallest I know of for a Büchner funnel setup is .5? Might be able to have one made, dunno

http://www.thomassci.com/Supplies/Syringe-Filters/_/Syringe-Filters3?q=*

Last edited:
tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Yuk I sure wouldn't use it.. But that's juss me I always use the best stuff possaible.. If u use killer stuff u get killer results.. I have friends that use crap & they get crap back in return.. But like I said that's juss my thoughts..
@3N1GM4

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Maybe when I can just go to my closet full of full jars I will just throw it away but you have to make do when you have very little or none and you would have inhale alot of spores to make you sick unless your lungs or immune system is already in poor 0health and when I see bud rot that bud gets chopped immediately. So I agree that it should not be used but you gotta do what you gotta do.
It still makes decent bho after drying in the jerky maker for a day when the affected spot is trimmed away.

Top Bottom