Making My Own Shrimp Meal

• Thread starter 420SA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420SA

420SA

I live in South Africa where any type of crustacean meal fertilizer isn't available anywhere

So I'm left with the option of having to try make my own... I'd like to know how possible this is.

I want to make my own shrimp meal as shrimp is cheaper than getting crab in these parts. How would I make it? Is it ok to use shrimp shells that have already been cooked?

Do I then just dry out the shells in the sun, ground them up and then add them to my soil mix?

Homesteader

Homesteader

I think it should be a fairly basic process. Maybe this will help.
I would think that you take the shells, dry and blend into a powder and you are good to go.
Probably don't even need to blend it IMO but it would help.

Shrimp Meal
(typical analysis 6-3-0, 14% Ca) From USDA-inspected shrimp processing facilities. Cooked and dried at low temperatures, then finely ground. As well as being an excellent source of major plant nutrients, shrimp shell meal is rich in chitin (23% or more). Adding it to your soil puts beneficial chitin-eating bacteria into a feeding frenzy and subsequent population boom. Once they’ve eaten up all the chitin you applied, they will turn upon pathogenic fungi and nematodes and disease-causing bacteria like E. coli and salmonella. A solid body of scientific evidence supports the efficacy of chitinous soil amendments in the control of soil-borne pathogens. Apply at 500-2000#/acre. Also a useful addition to compost mixes and potting soils at ½ cup per cubic foot.

Top Bottom