Making Oil With Oxygen instead of Butane???

• Thread starter sh2ft2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sh2ft2

I have been looking into start making my own oil recently. I had a friend that i knew has made oil before. When i was describing the BHO way of using a tube that had a filter at the exit and hole at top for the butane, he said instead of using butane they had a oxygen line going right into their tube. Just curious if this person is pulling my tail or if this really works and if so anyone have any if on it as to how much oxygen is needed and what psi would you want to come out of a tank

S

sh2ft2

So, I kinda found more info on this oxygenated oil. liquid oxygen = Gold Leaf. Have any of you guys on here made Gold Leaf before? I got a room finsihing in 6wks. Im going go ahead and show the type of oil ill be making with liquid oxygen instead of using butane!! I would think that there would be some type of butane left in the oil even after it sat out for 24hrs. Im just looking at the purer side of things here. Im going have to figure a way out to get liquid oxygen though. ill be back once i have a chance to make some of this

Dunge

Dunge

I had a chance to play with a can full or liquid O2 many years ago.
It will make anything burn with a power that will shock you.
It is VERY cold and expensive.
And I would think that it would want to react with the oil. Oxidizing oil can't be good.
I encourage exploration, but in this case my greatest concern is FIRE.

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
i got a vial of hash oil at a festy years ago and the kid said they made it with oxygen instead of butane... shit was powerful.... good luck i think it can be done..

B

Beasters X Haze

I've worked with liquid oxygen everyday for almost 10 years, It is not a solvent. Although I've been told by glassblower friends that they have tried it off of the liquid tank and the tiniest little drop came out, most people who claim that their erl is made with O2 are just saying that to get around the fact that they shouldn't / can't sell butane erl.. Inhaling any small amount of butane is far from medical, but oxygen is not.. They are just trying to make the product seem way cleaner than it is..

E

EuDiesel

I agree with the above. It seems that a lot of people just re-label their BHO. Oxygen would theoretically work but its also an oxidizer.

R

ReDLuBE

i believe your friend meant c02. I know you can use c02 as a non-polar extraction, but this is done under HIGH pressure, and usually on a massive scale, not something the home chemist should think about doing without tons of research, stick with 99.9% iso, with a timed saturation. IMO

D

DazedNconfussed

Has anyone tried making a active carbon filter to run there iso through. I read somewhere if you run iso through active carbon it will refine the oil, turning the color from greenish black to more of a red or blond oil.

R

ReDLuBE

Has anyone tried making a active carbon filter to run there iso through. I read somewhere if you run iso through active carbon it will refine the oil, turning the color from greenish black to more of a red or blond oil.

for sure, it usually turns red for me, hence red lube.

R

ReDLuBE

i only use carbon filter on fan leaves, and no i get a higher yeild of a mid quality, all my nice sugary trim gets a quick rinse of 99.9 iso, i mean like a 30 second wash. but i have turned garbage bags of crap into beautiful stringy, thick cherry oil.

M

MTgrower

Yeah, they sell bags of that carbon to use with the Tamisium Extractor.

One pound bags of lab grade shit for around $20.

rusty

rusty

for sure, it usually turns red for me, hence red lube.

sick, i wanna try this!

could u just sandwich some aquarium activated carbon inside some cheese cloth in the mason jar lid and run the ISO wash thru it? Is there any redlube instructionals out there?

ReDLuBE, have u ever whipped up red budder with that?

S

Skywalkin420

thats pretty interesting... i wonder if you need any special type of pressure for the oxygen to not blow up in ur hands.. being in the cannabis community here in california i have noticed that people rename things in order to sell better.. ive seen oxygen extracted and co2 extracted. the oxygen was by far more potent but c02 retained flavor.. what im wondering is if you can glass any of these methods of extraction, them being either oxygen, bho, iso, or co2? which is by far the best way of extracting for flavor and potency?

B

billybadazz

using co2 is called supercritical extraction....I have never heard of O2 extraction and other than freezing and breaking the trichomes oxygen isn't a solvent therefore how could it "liquify" the trichs to pass through the material. I am going to give my educated guess that Oxygen extaction is a marketing ploy.

D

Dr. Werewolf

Making Accidental Explosive With Oxygen extraction instead of Butane extraction

I think this was better as a new thread so I posted their first but since it is my first posting I wasn't sure so here's some good safety knowledge.
Dr. werewolf here.... name given by friends because of an unfortunate facial hair incident

I write this so hopefully nobody Incinerate themselves or blows themselves up or breaks the sound barrier.

I've never seen any oxygen extracted concentrates and believe their extraction would be extremely dangerous for reasons I will list below.

High pressure explosion.
Explosive detonation.
High temperature incineration.

High pressure explosion:
Oxygen comes in cylinders like CO2, the internal pressure at room temperature is app. 3450 psi (pounds per square inch) a extraction vessel with a 6" removable lid would have a lid that is 28.27 square inches. 28.27 X 3450 psi means the lid has an upward pressure of 97,531.5 (ninety-seven thousand!!!) pounds of pressure pushing up on it IE pressurized oxygen tanks are very strong!
butane at 60° has the pressure of 11.5 (eleven) butane pressure chart below.
Accidental rocket:
Interesting things can be done when you have 3450 psi in a tank... with say a 1/2 inch valve opening. If a 100 pound tank falls over and breaks the valve off gas come out like a rocket nozzle giving the tank 862.5 pounds of thrust. I've heard of a tank such as this being able to break the sound barrier. High-pressure oxygen is interesting if you have a big backyard and want to rocket a tank a quarter-mile.

High temperature incineration:
Liquid oxygen has a boiling point of -297.3°F
Cryogenic oxygen tanks are basically a thermos of unusual size and are able to keep the oxygen at a temperature below it's boiling point without the thick metal walls needed any high-pressure tank.
The liquid oxygen can be poured from one thermos Like container to another even a thermos that you put your coffee in would work in a pinch. But don't get any ideas, I've seen a Charcoal briquette dipped into oxygen and then Lit on fire. The flames was so bright it was like staring into my 1000 watt Grow light at 3 inches. Oxygen will burn anything. Air is About 20% oxygen, When you see a welder cutting a piece of steel he or she is simply heated the steel up red hot and applied 100% oxygen. The steel burns on its own as long as oxygen is supplied no more toward flame is required. Fahrenheit 451 is supposedly the burning point of paper but it will burn at several thousand degrees if given 100% oxygen. A cigarette will burst into flames, things that don't usually burn will rapidly combust at very fierce and high temperatures.

Last but not least
EXPLOSIVE DETONATION: the all capital's two much?...Oh well artistic license.
A little basic chemistry.
A conventional explosives contain an oxidizer and a fuel i.e. something that burns. In this case the oxidizer is liquid oxygen. If you wanted to blow something up you could get an oxidizer and something that burns ...well like something full of resin and dry flammable cellulose, stick it in a strong metal casing and you're ready to go boom.
But how do you set it off?
Well do your clothing get all static electricity because it is so dry out? Oxygen in a tank 100% dry, so all is you have to do is shake this mixture around a little bit to create a little static electricity inside the strong metal casing and you would possibly get a fairly large BOOOOOOM.
I have blown myself up:
I've had this unfortunate experience myself on a much smaller scale. I had my welding torch out and my very knowledgeable stoned buddy said I could make a sizable boom by filling up a balloon.well, I was in the middle of a job that I was behind on with a angry boss expecting major progress by the time he gets back from lunch, so what do I do? I get the biggest balloon they have from the florist across the street. I got the balloon about half full of a mixture of pure oxygen and flammable acetylene gas. The balloon was getting pretty big and I noticed my previously extremely confident friend stepping away from me with a wary look on his face..This concerned me so I shifted the balloon and it blew up with a deafening explosion in my hands...the person standing over my smoldering body had the biggest smile on his face... my boss had just got back from lunch...it was one of the few times I ever saw him laugh one of those rolling belly laughs... he didn't fire me but I think kept me around so I could verify the story for him. Anyways, My hands and chest had blood blisters that took weeks to go away and I only have 80% hearing in my left ear. The amount of gas was probably some fraction of a gram, with several pounds of liquid oxygen and sugar-leaf/fuel they probably would not even have found the soles of my shoes.

Now boys and girls be responsible and don't be using the knowledge above to get yourselves in trouble... or burn your eyebrows off.

butane temperature pressure chart:
I haven't seen any charts for butane pressure at different temperatures so since I talked about oxygen pressures being dangerous I thought I would paste a butane pressure Chart below.
Propane% butane% test:
Many don't know this but propane is often added to butane so it will have sufficient pressure at low temperatures. Often times things labeled butane are really a mixture. You can test how much propane is in your butane by warming the container to one of the temperatures listed in the chart below and taking a pressure check.

Vapor Pressure (psi) Pressures shown rounded off to the closest full pound change.
Mixture

Propane% 100 70 50 30 0

Butane% 0 30 50 70 100

Temp
(oF) -44 0 0 0 0 0
-30 7 0 0 0 0
-20 11 4 0 0 0
-10 17 9 3.5 0 0
0 24 15 7 2.3 0
10 34 20.5 12 6 0
20 42 28 17 10 0
30 53 36 24 15 0