Making Some Tea, But No Foam After 18hrs...

• Thread starter whatupdoc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

On botanicare molasses container they say not to add air stone because unwanted bacteria will grow lol! What planet are they on? I agree with everyone here I would just like to add a suggestion put the crusty foam under a microscope or loop

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
id guess lack of molasses as well.. seems to be a big "foamer".. i dont believe foam is is a good judge of microbial activity.. sometimes i get foam others i dont. just my opnion tho. could be very wrong
Foam is NOT an indicator of microbial activity. It IS an indicator of dissolved organic compounds.

Learn about foam fractionation, aka protein skimming. Oops... looks like there are two pages discussing this bit about foam. Mayhaps we need a sticky, Capulator?

From Wikipedia:
Foam fractionation is a chemical process in which hydrophobicmolecules are preferentially separated from a liquid solution using rising columns of foam. It is commonly used, albeit on a small scale, for the removal of organic waste from aquariums; these units are known as "protein skimmers". However it has much broader application in the chemical process industry and can be used for the removal of surface active contaminants from waste water streams in addition to the enrichment of bio-products.

Oooo! Thermopedia: http://www.thermopedia.com/content/776/
Foam fractionation is one of the adsorptive bubble separation techniques (adsubble techniques). [See Lemlich (1972)]. It operates through the selective Adsorption of a portion of one or more dissolved (or perhaps finely colloidal) components of a liquid mixture at the surfaces of Bubbles, usually of air or nitrogen, that rise through the mixture and then overflow as foam. Adding a surface-active collector may permit the adsorption of an otherwise surface inactive colligend via chelation, counterionic attraction, or otherwise. [See Lemlich (1993) and Matis and Mavros (1991)].

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
There was a fat layer of white shit at the bottom of the bucket. I'm hoping that's talc? lol #microbialNoob

Yep that's the talc. Just rinse it out and throw it in the toilet or outside.

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

Stoked on all the good info! Started another batch yesterday. Smellin nice and shitty! The ladies have been lovin the bennies, Cap. Appreciate it!

Top Bottom