Making the switch to coco, any insight on Canna?

• Thread starter Lockebox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lockebox

Lockebox

What’s up y’all, to sum it up I’ve been growing for a while In fox farms soil and plan to switch to coco. I’ve tried organic dry amendments as well as bottled synthetic nutrients and think I’d like to go salts in coco, watering once a day.

I’m thinking about going with Canna Coco and ordering some of their bricks. From what I understand it’s washed and buffered like the bags but a little cheaper in the brick form.

I’m also thinking about using their nutrients, Canna A & B. The one liter pair is fairly cheap and I like that it’s the same 2 bottles for the whole grow.

As far as ph goes, it’s something I’ve been ignoring and relying on microbes for so I don’t have meter. I will however be ordering the GH test liquid with the bricks so I can get close (5.5-6.5)

I have both plastic and fabric pots so I’m not sure what I’ll do yet, got a couple weeks until I’m ready and am still in planning stages.
Will be starting with a 6 seed pheno hunt so may use 1 gal plastic pots for all I know.

Also plan to run straight coco no perlite, for budget reasons.

If anyone has experience with the canna bricks, canna nutrient line, or just coco tips in general, I’m all ears! Thanks in advance.

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

How will you water . The people i used to know that were cali used something like it .
They used flood and drain to them. In flower watered 6 times daily . They had plastic over the top of everything to also keep lights off it .
Now for coco in the pot . Again you do not water it like soil. Best of luck using it something i wont use but a few people use it for reasons. Why not look into grow blocks get a larger one what most successful growers use flood and drain .

Lockebox

Lockebox

How will you water . The people i used to know that were cali used something like it .
They used flood and drain to them. In flower watered 6 times daily . They had plastic over the top of everything to also keep lights off it .
Now for coco in the pot . Again you do not water it like soil. Best of luck using it something i wont use but a few people use it for reasons. Why not look into grow blocks get a larger one what most successful growers use flood and drain .
I’ll be hand watering with a drain to waste system, sucking run off out of saucers with a shop vac.

I’m aiming to water once a day so I may run larger pots to achieve it, the lack of perlite may help in that regard I’m thinking.

Redneckx

Redneckx

What’s up y’all, to sum it up I’ve been growing for a while In fox farms soil and plan to switch to coco. I’ve tried organic dry amendments as well as bottled synthetic nutrients and think I’d like to go salts in coco, watering once a day.

I’m thinking about going with Canna Coco and ordering some of their bricks. From what I understand it’s washed and buffered like the bags but a little cheaper in the brick form.

I’m also thinking about using their nutrients, Canna A & B. The one liter pair is fairly cheap and I like that it’s the same 2 bottles for the whole grow.

As far as ph goes, it’s something I’ve been ignoring and relying on microbes for so I don’t have meter. I will however be ordering the GH test liquid with the bricks so I can get close (5.5-6.5)

I have both plastic and fabric pots so I’m not sure what I’ll do yet, got a couple weeks until I’m ready and am still in planning stages.
Will be starting with a 6 seed pheno hunt so may use 1 gal plastic pots for all I know.

If anyone has experience with the canna bricks, canna nutrient line, or just coco tips in general, I’m all ears! Thanks in advance.
You will regret it growing in full Coco.

Redneckx

Redneckx

Right on what’s your reason in that?
Overwatering and not enough oxygen can cause in root rot, fungus gnats will also like it. Better choose another option. I already reget it much and I have some clay pebbles in it.

Lockebox

Lockebox

Overwatering and not enough oxygen can cause in root rot, fungus gnats will also like it. Better choose another option. I already reget it much and I have some clay pebbles in it.
Yeah I hear ya, what size and type of pots are you in?

T

tonythc

i have used coco for about ten years now and would not use anything else but make sure to mix at least 25% perlite to help with drying out the pot when you over water.
I would not recommend using straight coco it can become water logged pretty easy if you are not on the ball with the watering.
When it comes to the canna nutrient line its ok but very over priced where i live so i dont use it anymore.
One thing i have to mention is you have to invest in a good digital ph meter and calibration fluid (4.0 & 7.0) and also a good EC truncheon, i honestly have no idea how people can pull off good results without them

Redneckx

Redneckx

Yeah I hear ya, what size and type of pots are you in?
I use air pots 5l/ 1.32gal

i have used coco for about ten years now and would not use anything else but make sure to mix at least 25% perlite to help with drying out the pot when you over water.
I would not recommend using straight coco it can become water logged pretty easy if you are not on the ball with the watering.
When it comes to the canna nutrient line its ok but very over priced where i live so i dont use it anymore.
One thing i have to mention is you have to invest in a good digital ph meter and calibration fluid (4.0 & 7.0) and also a good EC truncheon, i honestly have no idea how people can pull off good results without them
Also would add some worm castings to the soil and make sure to prepare the Coco right. If I would start new, I'd buy straight of a big bag of mixed and buffed Coco.
If you're going to use coco bricks, they are a hell lot of work until you can use it, make sure to wash and buff it right! Check out some videos how to do it, before.

You are able to get out good results without a pH meter, calibration fluid, ec pen. is using just organics, creating a super soil. Ofc you also need knowledge about plants, nutrients and environment.

Lockebox

Lockebox

Been growing in coco for over 20 years now

Best coco ive used is from floraflex so easy and clean, wish they had made this years ago would of saved me so much work

Wow, wish I saw that sooner! 20 ct of 1 gallon expandable bags sounds perfect and extremely easy.

I already ordered the canna bricks but I’ll definitely keep that in mind for the future.

Redneckx

Redneckx

Been growing in coco for over 20 years now

Best coco ive used is from floraflex so easy and clean, wish they had made this years ago would of saved me so much work

Damn for my second grow I wanted to switch medium to peat and vermiculite...bit this makes the decision hard.
It's already buffed and washed, nothing else to do more than adding water and putting the jiffy in and let's go? So nice!

Lockebox

Lockebox

Canna Coco Brick 40L Expandable Natural Plant Medium Soil Substrate, 40 Liter Expanded - 8 Liter Dry, Reusable (2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OG1N6O?psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_ct_19DY3TA9FQDG76E70TQQ&language=en_US

This is what I ordered. Eight dollars more expensive and 2 gallons less but still pretty close.

It’s pre washed and buffered just like the Canna Coco bags but compressed into bricks with 10 liter sections.

I notice that the floraflex is a coco peat mix @mrsdabfire do you use it as is or add perlite to it?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Treat it more like hydro than soil. I know you plan on watering once a day, but if they need more you got to give it to 'em.

pH nutrient solution around 5.8, don't worry about pH of runoff, just the EC. If it gets too high you might need to irrigate more often, or lower the input EC.

Good luck.

Lockebox

Lockebox

Treat it more like hydro than soil. I know you plan on watering once a day, but if they need more you got to give it to 'em.

pH nutrient solution around 5.8, don't worry about pH of runoff, just the EC. If it gets too high you might need to irrigate more often, or lower the input EC.

Good luck.
Cool thank you! I plan on watering once a day in the evenings yeah but if it comes to it I can try to water once before and once after work 👊🏻

Top Bottom