Male Isolation Chamber

• Thread starter SeaF0ur
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

Great work, seaf0ur!

I figure this is as good a place to ask as any - What's the best way to store pollen, and how long is it viable for? I'd really like to get my pollen chucking on again, but I've always used fresh pollen and disposed of the excess. Having a way to safely store pollen could really open up some interesting options for me...

I keep them as shown, with some rice in the jars, at room temperature. I also keep cuts of my better boys, so for me, that insurance is much better than hoping for viability long term out of stored pollen. I have some pollen I used that was over a year old and worked well. I dont freeze or refrigerate due to condensation... I just keep it in the dark and as dry as possible.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I keep them as shown, with some rice in the jars, at room temperature. I also keep cuts of my better boys, so for me, that insurance is much better than hoping for viability long term out of stored pollen. I have some pollen I used that was over a year old and worked well. I dont freeze or refrigerate due to condensation... I just keep it in the dark and as dry as possible.
Priceless info, so much gracias

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
So a few grains of rice is perfect for removing moisture from the pollen? That is awesome bro I didn't even think of that lol. Thanks

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Cool bro that makes sense. I'm thinking I'm gonna put some wheels on mines, with a feed and drain tube so I won't have to open it to water.

H

happy b

Sour Bubble finished up, I'm undecided... believe I may run my Blue Moon Rocks male next... I certainly like what I've seen from BOG thus far.... My collection...

View attachment 461841 View attachment 461842 View attachment 461843 View attachment 461844 View attachment 461845 View attachment 461846 View attachment 461847 View attachment 461848 View attachment 461849 View attachment 461850 View attachment 461851 View attachment 461852

That's how I do it...
Picking crap out of pollen is equally as unpleasant as trimming in my opinion...
Although I'm OCD about getting every petal out.
As IZA from still game would say..."its too good.its just too good.iv gotta tell somebody!"

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Does anyone know anything about shadow boxing your males in the vegg room I have a nice vegg area with extra space all over I could even put it as far as five feet away from the baby girls... what are the dangers here will the pollin get on the vegg and become contaminated really just show it has been and where at once it goes in flower or would the pollin not survive the weeks of vegg I also do a weekly spray of diluted 91% alcohol wouldn't this kill off the pollin even if I just did one spray before moveing if it was a thorough spray??? Newbie breeder reading up on everything thing I can but there are some things only experience can cover

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Does anyone know anything about shadow boxing your males in the vegg room I have a nice vegg area with extra space all over I could even put it as far as five feet away from the baby girls... what are the dangers here will the pollin get on the vegg and become contaminated really just show it has been and where at once it goes in flower or would the pollin not survive the weeks of vegg I also do a weekly spray of diluted 91% alcohol wouldn't this kill off the pollin even if I just did one spray before moveing if it was a thorough spray??? Newbie breeder reading up on everything thing I can but there are some things only experience can cover
The problem with male pollen is it is so fine it gets everywhere. When I harvested the pollen it. was all over my clothes, arms, hair, everything around me. When you disturb the male, the pollen goes airborne. It's like drywall dust. Gets everywhere. I'm sure you could get away with blooming in your vege if you have the space. It does not hurt to try. Let me know how it goes.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Well looks like if no one else pops in who has done this before. Doing it myself will be my only option to get a definitive answer. @Og Gong I do understand the properties of male pollin first hand and know how fast it can pollinate an entire room with omg so little material I had a single point of mendoza pollin I was doing the wet pollin thing with and dropped my paper pollin never hit the floor I swear they had midst of their own and flew rite at every node in the room and I had about a million mongrul seeds that I gifted out to everyone forever this time I was going to just use my XXL 5x5 sun hut in my vegg room and would not have any issue but when I tried to erect it found my celing in this room is to short for it by a few inches so now I need an alternative route and this lil box will not do when there is going to be many males I would need like 20-30 of those boxes as I'd like to be doing three at a time on a ratio of ten picking pheno bla bla eradication all that jazz and once males are carefully selected and collected from i planed to bleach or alcohol wash the inside of tent and make seed in the same spot now I guess my question is without adding another room or breaking one up with walls or curtain in my grow or making tons of boxes Is there a safe way to breed around other plants I have heard wetting the pollin and spread it on your plants when it dries it sticks and I'm not so sure it won't still let some blow around after it dries anyone here do this to protect their other girls are there any other ways to go about breeding that may help me out?

Last edited:
Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
If your selectively breeding with multiple males on different females I would remove the female from the room or you risk pollinating the others. Don't use water on the pollen it will become nonviable. I pollinate the females as soon as the buds just starts to get sticky so it holds the pollen usually total length of bloom minus 4weeks. Seeds take 30-40 days to mature. I wouldn't collect pollen from any males until you isolate the one you want from your gene pool so you don't have a gangbang.

Apollo13

Apollo13

I do in veg. But I self a female so I only need one flower. I mist my veg plants often, so I don't worry about pollen lasting.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Wet pollin "bad" good to know I figured just out of common sense some aspect of this would be a fail as for the rest of your advice you hit my plan on the head I just skipped over it to save time and just said "bla bla eradication and all that jazz" I have been thinking about the gangbang problem whitch lead me here and from what I saw I will most likely make three boxes for my special dudes to live in during the collection and flowering process found lil trays that fit perfectly in the top of a 3gal so i will drill a hole in it about 1/4in or so and a matching slit to the edge for placement and removal I will cover these areas with tape to prevent any wasted pollin falling in the soil and just let him grow up throw in the lid when it's time to flower/collect.

Don't use water on the pollen it will become nonviable..

To repeat myself this is good to know I did not think it wise one way or another..... however would this not be proof in that my alcohol base weekly spray would Destroy all pollin that may have floated onto a plant before I move it to flower my vegg and flower rooms are very far apart so not worried about air contamination the boys will most likely not be messed with or in the open during a time when I would be moving things around and going into my flower room

And as for removal of the females they won't be kept around at all until the males are selected and collected then the breeding area washed down well before bringing them into the situation at all other than mate matching and they should still be in vegg for this part if my knowlege of the process is correct please tell me if I am wrong in any steps I am taking if I am thanks

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Sweet then I have no issues other than light leaks on the shadow boxes 55gal drums or large sidewalk trashcans but since I did this outside with no issues I see no reason to believe it will be any different inside well possibly easier as I have a smooth flat floor and cooling unit inside that I don't have outside thanks for all the help with a little more detail and experience I can see myself having so much more fun and being much more successful as a breeder than a grower it's just kinda lost its appeal for me as iv been at it forever can't grow trees like I want can't afford my MPB yet so I can have trees inside this just seems to be the next logical thing for me as I still love to grow just want to do new things and the only things I have not tried at least twice is aeroponics unless you include ez cloner MPB played around with UC eh mpb seems better when u watch others use it and finally iv never tried actual breeding sure iv town plain for years to make reignday seeds but never took it as serious as I do producing chronic

Last edited:
gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm actually looking at seeds to pop right now... lookin at Glue Bubble, Phantom cookies x Phantom, Phantom x Hashplant, Pre98 Bubba x Bubba F2, Grape Plague, and the Floscout x GSC Forum cut... decisions decisions
Yo what's up on that bubba x. I have some ox I was hoping for a straight in the couch indy and didn't find it . What kind of luck have you had with your gear

Top Bottom