Male or female?

• Thread starter Marshdoggy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Marshdoggy

Marshdoggy

Here’s two pics of two different plants. First outdoor grow some bag seed. I just don’t quite know what to look for yet

Male or female
Male or female 2
dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey Mars , too soon to tell ,how many daylight hours do you get outdoors ?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Both look female to me, (but I agree it's too soon to tell for sure) if you looking for feminized seeds, you want to convert one of them to male, and use that pollen instead.

Look at my profile picture, (later stages) it's gone male, and your looking for that kind of morphology. Below is how it looks in the beginning.

On the left you have male, with little "balls", and center you have female with little "hairs" lastly, you've got herme (both male and female) with "balls" and "hairs"....

Just be sure not to confuse new "leaves" with "hairs" as they can look the same early on...

Also, later on, the seed "sacs" on a female can look similar to the pollen "sacs" on the males, so you've got to look at the morphology in it's entirety, not just a single feature... Hope that helps.

Lastly, there's some variation between different strains. So it can be very confusing at first. My advice, would be, keep an open mind, (that you might not be looking at, what you think your looking at) and keep a close eye on what's happening. Don't make impulsive decisions, be deliberate.

This can be a confusing subject, especially for the beginner. At least it was for me.

Blog voorvakantie 07 1030x687
Last edited:
Marshdoggy

Marshdoggy

Both look female to me, (but I agree it's too soon to tell for sure) if you looking for feminized seeds, you want to convert one of them to male, and use that pollen instead.

Look at my profile picture, (later stages) it's gone male, and your looking for that kind of morphology. Below is how it looks in the beginning.

On the left you have male, with little "balls", and center you have female with little "hairs" lastly, you've got herme (both male and female) with "balls" and "hairs"....

Just be sure not to confuse new "leaves" with "hairs" as they can look the same early on...
I have two females by these ones outside they have started pre flowering. I just had a question about these two!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yea, I would be suspicious if they are from the same batch, and receiving the same sunlight, and haven't flowered yet. Keep a close eye on the next few days to week or so, and be prepared to isolate them, if your concerned about seeding (the other females)

If you can, Keep them down wind until you figure it out.

However, if you do have a male there, you might develop one of them, and use the pollen to pollinate a single smaller branch on one of your females, for further stock, in the future. True males are going to stabilize the genetics in seed stock, in ways feminized pollen can't.

Once fully dried, keep your seeds in the fridge for the next year.

Last edited:
Marshdoggy

Marshdoggy

Yea, I would be suspicious if they are from the same batch, and receiving the same sunlight, and haven't flowered yet. Keep a close eye on the next few days to week or so, and be prepared to isolate them, if your concerned about seeding them.

If you can, Keep them down wind until you figure it out.
The other two are cut from clones so different strains. The two in question are just bag seed that I planted for fun

157AB156 CA8C 4D07 BA58 34D3F2F7A0EE
9E8F9F02 D85F 42E7 BAAB 26581270168D
EE32160E E423 4022 93BB 84BD3DBFFC64
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
The other two are cut from clones so different strains. The two in question are just bag seed that I planted for fun

Yea, if that's the case, than your fine, just continue along. If you found them in a bag, they might simply be feminized seed that were either created on purpose (or mistake) by the grower and simply ended up in your bag.

The chances of one of them being male is fairly slim, I suspect. Do you know if it came from an indoor or outdoor grow? Was it commercially grown weed?

Marshdoggy

Marshdoggy

Yea, if that's the case, than your fine, just continue along. If you found them in a bag, they might simply be feminized seed that were either created on purpose (or mistake) by the grower and simply ended up in your bag.

The chances of one of them being male is fairly slim, I suspect. Do you know if it came from an indoor or outdoor grow? Was it commercially grown weed?
Indoor from my buddy

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Indoor from my buddy

Yea, my guess is that one of plants got partially "stressed" and made a bit of pollen, that's not always going to result in a herm, but I would watch for it. There's always the small chance he started from seed, and got a male loose, but I find it unlikely.

The plant looks to be photosensitive (not autoflower) so it's likely it was made from a cloned female, as that's the method usually used.

So my best guess, is you got lucky with a stable feminized plant, or it's a herm, but you'll have to grow it out to see. I've got some fantastic strains this way, some of my most potent and oldest genetics (including my biggest, most potent strain) I've got several excellent varieties doing exactly what you've done here...

Especially if the cloned mother was a true f1, f2 filial variety. ie. It's a copy of a unique hybrid. (of it's own right).

I estimate there's probably thousands of them (or more) around the country that's never actually been out of the original growers hands for 20-30 years... I've got a few friends that have unique strains of their own, for decades, and they exert tight control over access to those plants.

Do you remember the strain? It looks like it's doing well outside, so that's a good sign that it's a hardy, resistant variety, but I would watch the flowering closely, and I would suggest topping those plants, so that you don't get a big donkey dick, and mold. edit: (they already look well enough topped).

Last edited:
Top Bottom