Male plant options

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

Newbie grower here. Concerning male plants, what are the options?

I know you can destroy them once their sex has been identified to avoid them knocking up your chickies.

I also have read you can use them to pollinate a female in order to create a hybrid...or you can save and store the pollen for future use.

But what about seperating them and just letting then grow out?

Will they still have a good THC level and good enough to smoke?

Can they be used to make hash?

Do males produce their own seeds or do they just release pollen from their nutsacks?

And what about a hermie plant? Is it worth seperating it and letting it grow for smoke or hash purposes?

My reason for asking is because I have some plants in a greenhouse that will soon be showing their sex and I could easily seperate the males elsewhere and just let them grow out. I am just shopping for options from the expert farmers.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
if you want to mess around with growing males and you have a spot - go for it

if your gonna do that though you may as well collect/store some pollen from your best one

males wont produce seeds becasue the have no buds to pollinate

hermis should be killed on sight

E

E.T.

1. Males only produce pollen
2. You don't want to smoke males--they don't produce flowers like females
3. Unless you plan on using the pollen within a few months, it does not stay viable for long term storage.

If ur looking for smoke, only keep the females...get a few grows under your belt before you try to take on breeding

S

Sunbiz1

Newbie grower here. Concerning male plants, what are the options?

I know you can destroy them once their sex has been identified to avoid them knocking up your chickies.

I also have read you can use them to pollinate a female in order to create a hybrid...or you can save and store the pollen for future use.

But what about seperating them and just letting then grow out?

Will they still have a good THC level and good enough to smoke?

Can they be used to make hash?

Do males produce their own seeds or do they just release pollen from their nutsacks?

And what about a hermie plant? Is it worth seperating it and letting it grow for smoke or hash purposes?

My reason for asking is because I have some plants in a greenhouse that will soon be showing their sex and I could easily seperate the males elsewhere and just let them grow out. I am just shopping for options from the expert farmers.

Will they still have a good THC level and good enough to smoke?>>>
>>>No

Can they be used to make hash?>>>
>>>No

Do males produce their own seeds or do they just release pollen from their nutsacks?>>>
>>>Can be both, depends on the plant

And what about a hermie plant? Is it worth seperating it and letting it grow for smoke or hash purposes?>>>

>>>I'm smoking a female offspring from a hermie mother at the moment...grower's choice.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Keeping pollen DRY is of utmost importance here. I've got a rather large batch of males that I need to cull through. It includes several testers, of which the original breeder wants to inspect and possibly gather pollen (I'm kinda hoping I can send them home with him), an F2 of something I want to work on, and some other more old school lines that I just want to use to keep myself and others in beans.

They usually go on the other side of my house where they've so far been unable to pollinate girls unintentionally. This year may be different as I've got girls growing in a newly developed area that I think is downwind and may be close enough to get drift.

I've kept pollen for up to two years now and while it takes a little more each time to get seeds, it's still making me seeds. DRY! It's incredibly important that it be kept dry, above all else. I discovered the first year I tried to make seeds that even a slightly misty morning will seriously decrease the seeding ability of pollen.

K

kolah

Thanks all.

I have about 12 healthy beautiful plants from seed and I should see signs anyday now. I check on them 3 times a day as I don't want them messing with my babes.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Most of my males have already shown. Interestingly enough, the females, while they didn't show first, have all fully sexed. Today is repotting and moving day, no more good life up on deck.

Mmm. Beans.

Top Bottom