Male pollen sacks in veg?? Please help.

• Thread starter malachii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
malachii

malachii

Guys, I just noticed something with one of my plants. I'm in VEG (24 hours), but this looks like a male (!?). First grow, so no basis of comparison. Hope you can help.

It also seems that one has female parts? Maybe I'm reading things wrong. I've included a picture of the male in question first, the female in question second (circled in red), and lastly, what most of my veg plants look like (what I expect is normal).

I know, I know, the plants aren't the healthiest. First grow and all, made some mistakes, getting better with time... (looking forward to the next grow already).

What should I do now?

p.s. I added a pic at the end of what I believe is a female plant (!?). I'm not sure again, since i'm new to this but that looks like female hairs to me. What's going on? I've been on 24 hours light a a few weeks now. Only interruption was when I had somebody in my office for work, and I wanted to reduce light leakage, so I turned off the HPS, and turned on 2 CFLs in my closet grow to reduce light leakage, for 4 hours. Seems like a passable thing to do in an emergency. Like a cloudy day for the plants.

Male pollen sacks in veg please help
Female
Male pollen sacks in veg please help 3
L

LBZ Farmer

Get rid of anything with male flowers on it!

That first picture is AUTOFLOWERING and the pollen is going to happen any time now!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I have to say that does look like autoflowering

often a plant will show sex in veg - but just 2 hairs or 2 ball sacks

S

swisscheese

Get that first pictured plant out of your garden before pollen is everywhere!

malachii

malachii

Ok, the plant is out! Phew. I never thought this would be a risk during veg, so I wasn't paying close attention, but in the last day or two those sacks got big enough to catch my attention.

So WTF? I bought seeds from a local seedbank. What was 1 autoflower plant doing in the batch???

Also, what about the female I spotted? Is that just kind of pre-flower?

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
the 2nd pic looks fine and that is a female preflower. the 3rd pic i cant tell yet. what seeds did you buy?

malachii

malachii

the 2nd pic looks fine and that is a female preflower. the 3rd pic i cant tell yet. what seeds did you buy?

Local seed bank.

The one that auto flowered was the pot of gold at the bottom. WTF - when I bought them they were $50 for 5, now they're on sale for $25. Maybe I know why.

Next time, getting some top notch seeds. But not next grow either (hope to use clones). Got to get my skills down first.

Thanks for the confirmation on the female preflower. At least I have one!

L

LBZ Farmer

Make sure you keep an eye out for ANY MALE FLOWERS. Even on what you think are females now. Well especially those look them up and down all the time, until you harvest, that way your clones you choose will be 100% hermie free.

malachii

malachii

Gonna keep a sharp eye now. Had no idea I had to be vigilant prior to flowering! Anyhow, flowering's only a week away for me. Going early, since I want to move on to the next grow quickly (will do a better job). I hope a couple of weeks into flowering, I'll be able to cut a clone. Not ideal. I know.

Thanks for the help everybody! The male's gone down the disposal, and the soil is now helping my grass grow greener.

S

smokestack23

Hmm..if it's an auto..and if you're on 24 then I guess it is, why not save some pollen and pollinate a branch or two of your females. You'll get some auto seeds that you can throw outside.

O

oboy

Make sure you keep an eye out for ANY MALE FLOWERS. Even on what you think are females now. Well especially those look them up and down all the time, until you harvest, that way your clones you choose will be 100% hermie free.

+1

My last grow I had a hermie. Ended up pollenating my other 2 girls very, very lightly. I had to chop early to save what I could. Great for the experience but the importance of checking regularly can't be understated.

Here is a pic my my hermie plant. I spotted the male flowers earlier but due to inexperience I let it go. I won't make that error again. All the red circles are male flowers.

Good luck on the grow

Hermie
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Local seed bank.

The one that auto flowered was the pot of gold at the bottom. WTF - when I bought them they were $50 for 5, now they're on sale for $25. Maybe I know why.

Next time, getting some top notch seeds. But not next grow either (hope to use clones). Got to get my skills down first.

If I paid that much money and it auto'd on me with no warning from the seller, I'd be back there bitching up a blue streak. $10/seed means they should know. And here I have never paid a dime for a single bean and that has never happened to me.

Btw, I see two males, first and third photos. Quick question--could they be root bound at all? I have found that when they get root bound they'll go into flower no matter what the photoperiod is.

S

SLO Grown

Unless you want babies keep him around. If you don't rip'em.

malachii

malachii

If I paid that much money and it auto'd on me with no warning from the seller, I'd be back there bitching up a blue streak. $10/seed means they should know. And here I have never paid a dime for a single bean and that has never happened to me.

Btw, I see two males, first and third photos. Quick question--could they be root bound at all? I have found that when they get root bound they'll go into flower no matter what the photoperiod is.

If I were to buy from that bank again I'd certainly bring this up, but after this, I'll just as soon buy someplace else, so there's not much point other than avoiding their business, and passing along the word.

You see males in the third? I thought that was just new leaf growth coming along?? If so, shit! I have to look more carefully -> I guess maybe they're just earlier along than the others.

Root bound? I doubt they were root bound, but they were a few days past when I would/should transplant them. In fact, when those pictures were taken they had been transplanted a couple of days prior. The plants were in 1 quart pots, and 5-6 inches tall -> maybe 3 weeks from seed? Seems like I should still have been ok. Roots were starting to poke through the bottom of the pot, but they were not densely packed or anything when I transplanted.

malachii

malachii

Hmm..if it's an auto..and if you're on 24 then I guess it is, why not save some pollen and pollinate a branch or two of your females. You'll get some auto seeds that you can throw outside.

I thought of doing this, until I remembered my nosy neighbours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom