man dies cleaning up marijuana in park...cartels giving us a bad rep.....

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dagwood

Dagwood

Sounds like you live on top of bedrock. The miners were using hydraulic cannons on old river deposits.

I haven't learned how to upload and post photos here yet so I'll just post this link for now for those willing to click outside links. It is a google link.

https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1530&bih=901&q=hydraulic mining gold rush&oq=hydraulic minin&gs_l=img.1.6.0l7.4333.9585.0.15208.15.10.0.5.5.0.148.1300.0j10.10.0....0...1ac.1.27.img..0.15.1342.rvrf8aJBIEQ

Miners diverted streams to power immense water cannons and they washed away all the gold bearing alluvial deposits to run through sluice boxes. The flats around Yuba City are all from these. The magnitude of the erosion was incredible. Old photos show people working these water cannons below immense cliffs with towering waterfalls, which were once streams flowing across a gentle landscape. I wish I could remember exactly, but along a highway heading up towards Sonora Pass? is a pullout on the right providing a view across the valley to a far ridge. A historic information display explains that the high but gentle ridge was the original land profile. It was the site of an early railroad line and so escaped being washed away into the sluice boxes by the hoards of miners. Looking at this and imagining all the surrounding land being at that same grade and elevation was a total mind twister.

They used mercury to glom onto and separate the panned/sluiced gold dust and gold within crushed ore, from the rock. A huge amount of mercury got washed downstream to contaminate sediments all the way to San Fransisco. A friend who grew up in Gold Country and spent time in the rivers diving for nuggets made a lot of money collecting and selling mercury. The liquid mercury is so heavy that he would move big rocks underwater and in the depression underneath find a big pool of mercury that had settled in there from the Gold Rush activities.

It's nice to converse with you again. When I saw that you were the den mother here I knew I'd found a good place.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
click upload a file below the window you have been typing in on every response....:)
it's right next to Post Reply button ;)

Dagwood

Dagwood

click upload a file below the window you have been typing in on every response....:)
it's right next to Post Reply button ;)

Doh !

Gold Rush 1
Gold Rush 3

Gold Rush 2
Miners

Gold Rush 4

Mining gravel daily

On the flats they'd use a dredge. Find or create a pool large enough to float the machine and it would eat away at one bank, process the gravel for gold, then dump the tailings off the end of a conveyer belt on a boom. As it dredged up gravel from one side and dumped on the other the pool slowly migrated in the direction of the dredging, traveling across and processing the entire gravel flat. This leaves rows of tailing piles out on the flat that remain today in many places.

Top Bottom