Manicuring and trimming younger plants

• Thread starter Mountian Mist67
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mountian Mist67

What do i cut and why do i cut??
My plants are 3weeks old how would that effect them??

F

farmerjohn

MM. Your best bet here is to seek out information concerning LST & HST. That is, low stress training & high stress training, respectively. I read a super article yesterday on both, while surfing online. Any training you do to your plants will ultimately effect the shape, size & yield of your crop. Since there are many proven techniques, you need to identify which one will give you the results you desire. All this within the framework of the strain(s) you are running, the environment you provide for the plants & the physical dimensions of the grow area.

Let me give you a hypothetical situation to illustrate what I am saying. Let's say Larfy Larry has up potted 6 small clones, into 2 gal. pots, with an idea to run these plants in a ScrOG. Everything is in place, including a grow plan. His task is to train the plants to maximize yield. So he vegetates until his tops are about 8" from the screen & flips the switch. Let's say vegging takes 30 days. During that time he trims up the main stalk, using a technique called "lollypopping." At the same time he may top some plants or use an LST technique to create an even canopy. Once the grow reaches thru the canopy, he continues to train. Everything that makes it thru will be a top bud. Everything below will be popcorn. He has altered the growth pattern to achieve a maximum above screen growing area.

Sorry for the long winded pontification, but training is always strain & environment specific, so knowing the ins & outs, will serve you well. Studying the myriad techniques & applying one or many of them, to your specific grow, is the best way to answer your question.

As far as age, chop & bend away! clones can be shaped just about anytime. I wait until seedlings are not putting out 2 branches @ a time, b4 beginning their training.

Top Bottom