Manipulate lighting for more stretch

• Thread starter 70sguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

70sguy

Using a Diablo 750 and not getting enough stretch. What are ways to get a taller plant in early veg by manipulating light w/o too little light? Autos grew too squatty and I need to figure out how to get taller plants.

B

BillyBanchan

Using a Diablo 750 and not getting enough stretch. What are ways to get a taller plant in early veg by manipulating light w/o too little light? Autos grew too squatty and I need to figure out how to get taller plants.
Were they stunted, or just squatty genetics?

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Running photos, using a meter I have found for myself that plants veg the best at 3-350 ppfd.

Once I start giving more they are shorter and grow much larger leaves for protection.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

The plants will tell you how they're handling the light. They're happy when the topmost fan leaves are flat and level. If you see taco-ing, canoe-ing, edge curl, twisting, etc., they want less. If they're praying an hour before lights out, they're ready for more. With powerful LEDs, I like to hang them high, and use the dimmer to respond to what the plant asks for.

70sguy

Were they stunted, or just squatty genetics?
I think due to my variables. Transplants from solo cups, too small pots (3 gal), one did slightly better that was in 5 gal than the others w/same variables. My seed source is bona-fide. I've learned that I won't grow in less than 5 gal pots and won't transplant next time. Was wondering about any other expertise w/high power l.e.d. lights. I'm going to try the photone app, as I don't have a light meter. One I grew outside in small pot had better stretch.

T

terpscomefirst

Things I've found to help create more stretch have been warmer temps, dim the lights, increase exposure to infrared. I found these out because I wanted short and squat plants so I do the opposite. Not a problem just a well researched home grower. Hope it helps!

Top Bottom