Manipulating light for bigger yield

• Thread starter mmmdankbuds420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

This is a direct copy from one of Logic's threads. This is an idea I have thought about recently and upon discovering his thread didn't realize was an actual possibility. His thread isnt getting the attention I feel it deserves so Thats why I'm gonna repost it in hopes that eveybody will throw down their two cents and say what they think about the method. Basically let's discuss this! :)

"[DISCLAIMER]: This information is provided as experimental data and not fact.

The only photoperiod manipulation from years of experiments that offered discernible improvements was the following photoperiod adjustment made for 1 or 2 calendar weeks at the point of maximum flowering rate: Daylength of 21 hours, 36 minutes with a dark period of 12 hours. To accomplish this, you need a 7 day, 24 hour digital timer. During a 7 day calendar week on Earth, the "sun" only cycles 5 times. This permits easily switching back to the regular 12/12 at your discretion. You may want to only alter during peak flower production to stimulate the plant's metabolism. Using this photoperiod throughout the flowering cycle will cause this:

A variety that takes 49 days of 12/12 to mature, won't see 49 - 12 hour dark periods under 21:36/12 until almost 10 calendar weeks have passed.

The total increase in light energy is almost 80%, which will produce larger yields, if all of your other enviromental conditions are kept optimal.

The total increase in flowering period is only 40%, half the potential room for improvement. This means you don't have to be perfect to win out.

Selective application of the 21:36/12 photperiod for only 1 or 2 weeks extends the wait only 2 to 4 Earth days, which makes up the missing 2 complete day and night cycles each week on Planet Ito. This permits the additional light energy to be provided without purchasing additional equipment or overloading existing circuits, which maximizes the existing system's capabilities. The main advantage is that matched with co2 and optimal nutrition, the plants metabolism will increase dramatically. I have only successfully tested this photoperiod for two weeks. The potential for a net increase of 40% over the entire cycle (80% increase in light energy vs. 40% longer wait) is worthwhile. Don't be afraid!

Day 1 - Sunday, 6:00am til Monday, 3:36am
Day 2 - Monday, 3:36pm til Tuesday, 1:12pm
Day 3 - Wednesday, 1:12am til Wednesday, 10:48pm
Day 4 - Thursday, 10:48am til Friday 8:24am
Day 5 - Friday, 8:24pm til Saturday 6:00pm"

Ok everybody. What do you think? Has anybody done this method?

Last edited:
stokedspade

stokedspade

In my opinion you are only asking for trouble. You will stress the he'll outta them and they could herm or cause you all types of trouble. Just stick to 18/6 and 12/12 and 20/4 for auto.

A

AlterEgo860

ur better off running flip flops.. instead .. If I could find a plant that was really done in 49 id be surprised .. I have seen people pull at 50.. but with the same strain. I pull at 70 and my buds are much better . taste smell potency wise.. so I think hes just pulling wicked early..

indonesia

indonesia

agreed, i always let mine go at least 9, even the indica dominant strains.

B

BestAround

I agree with alter ego .. I let all my shit later then most would.. and because of that. im seeing better yields taste and smell... I honestly think atleast 50% of the bud on the market.. was pulled early.. I let my buds go until most the smaller shit is ripe.. then I pull.. so that my colas are more couchlock.. and my larf is perfect for BHO.

i found that most breeders that say . 50 days.. only get a few phenos out of all the seeds that will actually be ready then.. this is why a lot of bud is cut early.. tooo many people go on wat the description says on the seedbanks.. its all BS to get u to buy strains.. they don't know.. .its an estimate that everyone takes as like a LAW. get yourself a 60-100x microscope.. and scope everything before chopping. by doing this.. u can tell if your buds still have time to swell up an put on the weight. or if they just need to finish up a lil more to get milky ..

i like mostly milky and some amber .. on indica dom strains.. and sativa dom strains we pull at full milky.. a few amber.. but with sativas.. amber seems to come on a lil slower then with indicas..

indonesia

indonesia

scope is very helpful but not completely necessary. Theres an 8 or 9 day window of peak harvest time. As long as you let them go 60-70ish days ittl always be fine unless you got some sweet sativa that needs at least 10 weeks. patience has always done me right. ive had plants that looked done at day 42 before, just like someone here was saying but regardless i just let them go because i know in my mind that those last 2 weeks are the most important.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I've heard of sativa strains that can take even up to 20 weeks

Natural

Natural

I've heard of sativa strains that can take even up to 20 weeks
I've got a pack of cherry bomb x viet black..I'm sacred to pop. It needs a 3 month veg before taking cuts and then 14-16 weeks to flower. Thinking I could stick it in the corner somewhere with a light till it's done..lol.

CollieMan760

CollieMan760

Dont be afraid, if it works for you then it works for you. So far, i haven't heard of anyone trying this technique, only a bunch of "IMO". I want to give this a try though! by "Peak Flower Production" is that the stage in which the buds are putting on the main weight? or just filling up? thats the only thing im confused on

Desertboy

Desertboy

Longest I grew a sat was 26 weeks flower it wasn't done then but I was lol, IMHO Phytochromes and cryptochromes are the key to increased yields!

CollieMan760

CollieMan760

Desertboy, I stayed up until 2 in the morning reading the thread in which you were testing FR and Fpr with pulses of far red light. i gotta say, i was intrigued and am now going to give it a try! from what i read, you never finished or at least didnt post the progress. i was tired so i might have missed something. Great work though, it was a great read and even inspired me to try it in my greenhouse this season. How hard is it to get those 3wLED's far red and red spectrum?
Longest I grew a sat was 26 weeks flower it wasn't done then but I was lol, IMHO Phytochromes and cryptochromes are the key to increased yields!

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Phytochromes and cryptochromes? Please expand my mind a little. I'm very interested. :) lol

CollieMan760

CollieMan760

The little i read goes like this. Phytochromes are light sensitive proteins that trigger responses in the plant depending on the light. By pulsing Far red light at night for a second a minute for 15 minutes, it will put the plant to sleep so to speak. and without the far red light, it would take the plant somewhere near 2 hours to get into this sleep state. the theory here is that you gain 2 daylight hours by introducing the right spectrum of far red light to the plant at night. hope thats not confusing. but go to advanced techniques on the forum tab and look for the post regarding phytocromes and what not. desertboy and prime did a pretty damn good job.
Phytochromes and cryptochromes? Please expand my mind a little. I'm very interested. :) lol

Top Bottom