Manipulating the photoperiod ...

• Thread starter diffrentstrains
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
reminds me of when a buddy of mine read that you could increase your yeilds by 20-25% by going 12/12 until the plants start to flower then changing the light cycle to 14 on 10 off

his plants didnt know if the were flowering or vegging and then a bunch of them hermied

0 + 25% = 0

S

spinkus

Once at a place l was helping run they had the timer on 14 on 10 off, not intentionally mind you.

Well after not seeing the usual pre-bud sites l was used to seeing l checked the timers, it was day 21 before l changed it back to the proper time

We DID have a little more yield but the plants hardly looked the same and definitely didnt have the same quality as usual. Not as tight on the bud formation and the trichs werent as prominent

I guess there is a reason we use the 12/12 for flowering indoors

Now a pure sativa l think could benefit greatly by experimenting with photo periods indoors, but thats a whole other discussion :)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
posting the article the discussion is based on

How do I manipulate the photoperiod for larger yields?

Added by: MisterIto Last edited by: administrator Viewed: 106 timesRated by 22 users: 6.50/10[DISCLAIMER]: This information is provided as experimental data and not fact.

The only photoperiod manipulation from years of experiments that offered discernible improvements was the following photoperiod adjustment made for 1 or 2 calendar weeks at the point of maximum flowering rate: Daylength of 21 hours, 36 minutes with a dark period of 12 hours. To accomplish this, you need a 7 day, 24 hour digital timer. During a 7 day calendar week on Earth, the "sun" only cycles 5 times. This permits easily switching back to the regular 12/12 at your discretion. You may want to only alter during peak flower production to stimulate the plant's metabolism. Using this photoperiod throughout the flowering cycle will cause this:

A variety that takes 49 days of 12/12 to mature, won't see 49 - 12 hour dark periods under 21:36/12 until almost 10 calendar weeks have passed.

The total increase in light energy is almost 80%, which will produce larger yields, if all of your other enviromental conditions are kept optimal.

The total increase in flowering period is only 40%, half the potential room for improvement. This means you don't have to be perfect to win out.

Selective application of the 21:36/12 photperiod for only 1 or 2 weeks extends the wait only 2 to 4 Earth days, which makes up the missing 2 complete day and night cycles each week on Planet Ito. This permits the additional light energy to be provided without purchasing additional equipment or overloading existing circuits, which maximizes the existing system's capabilities. The main advantage is that matched with co2 and optimal nutrition, the plants metabolism will increase dramatically. I have only successfully tested this photoperiod for two weeks. The potential for a net increase of 40% over the entire cycle (80% increase in light energy vs. 40% longer wait) is worthwhile. Don't be afraid!

Day 1 - Sunday, 6:00am til Monday, 3:36am
Day 2 - Monday, 3:36pm til Tuesday, 1:12pm
Day 3 - Wednesday, 1:12am til Wednesday, 10:48pm
Day 4 - Thursday, 10:48am til Friday 8:24am
Day 5 - Friday, 8:24pm til Saturday 6:00pm

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I have heard of using six hours of light and twelve dark. You also need a 24hour timer but the theory is that plants only use six hours or light if the intensity is high. You get to harvest faster but get slightly diminished yields.

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

Thoughts...? Just read this photo period manipulation article and am interested in researching more... Anyone tried this???

Yes my best friend used this quite successfully his last 2 grows and is starting it again in his current one. when he does this for 1 week 5 dark settings he says he gets about 20-25% more weight in his buds he does his durning week 3 of flower on a 7 week strain. From what I understand this is the only photo period manipulation which has any validity in increasing your yield. I am intending to put this into practice myself after I have a baseline grow.

Top Bottom