• Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Vancouver pot activist Marc Emery to plead guilty to U.S. drug charge
No hope of avoiding extradition, plea deal made
Last Updated: Thursday, June 4, 2009 | 9:00 AM PT

Marijuana activist Marc Emery says he plans to drop his fight against extradition to the U.S. and plead guilty to one charge of drug distribution in a Seattle courtroom next month.

Emery's extradition hearing in Vancouver was adjourned on Wednesday so his lawyer could negotiate a deal with the U.S. district attorney in which Emery could spend up to eight years in jail for one charge, while two other more serious charges are dropped, he said.

"I will be making a guilty plea to one count of marijuana distribution this summer, and then when I'm sentenced the U.S. district attorney is going to be asking for five to eight years in a federal U.S. penitentiary," he told CBC News on Wednesday.

After the guilty plea, Emery expects he will be sentenced in August or September and is hoping he will eventually be transferred to a Canadian jail.

Joint U.S.-Canada bust

This is not the first time the marijuana activist has said his lawyers are cutting a deal with U.S. prosecutors. In July 2008, Emery said he had made a deal in which he would serve a minimum of five years in jail, but he later blamed Canadian authorities when the deal fell through.

The marijuana activist is facing drug charges for selling pot seeds to U.S. customers, after his Vancouver-based mail order business was busted in a joint operation involving both U.S. and Canadian law enforcement agencies in 2005.

He's been fighting extradition ever since, but on Wednesday he said he now realizes it's a fight he's not going to win.

"Ultimately my lawyer is convinced that the Canadian government has never refused an extradition request from the United States and it's not going to start now," he said.

"Sometimes you have to face up to the reality of what's going to happen, and under this scenario I may be free out of prison in two or three or four years," he said.

Without the deal, Emery said, he would be facing much more time in jail.

"This is a preferential arrangement to the not-so-good-arrangement that would see me spend 10, 20, 30 years in a U.S. federal penitentiary, foreseeably the rest of my life, and that doesn't give a person a lot of hope," he said.

Prepared to do time

"The DA wants to paint me as a large player providing a lot of marijuana to people, and we'll bring up that it was only seeds and it was totally transparent. It was done in Canada out in the open for 10 or 12 years," he told CBC News during an interview at the busy downtown Vancouver hemp store he still operates.

"I didn't keep any of the money — $4 million. I gave it all away to activist groups around the world, so my motives are unusual, so that does mitigate in sentencing," said Emery, who frequently ran in provincial and federal elections as the leader of the Marijuana Party.

But the man who once spent more than two months in a Canadian prison for passing a joint to an undercover officer is now preparing for a much longer stay in a U.S. prison.

"You've got to keep busy in jail. You've got to be reading, in my case writing. I'll be learning Spanish, French. You've got to have projects," he said.

P

Papa_kush

damn sad to see things ending up this way but i think we all pretty much knew this was inevitable... Stay up marc...

J

Jalisco Kid

I am surprised the fool was not found looking like he was drunk in some alley in Portland by the local cops. You tell the DEA to go fuck themselves on TV, your're fucked. Those assholes have long memories. He would not have been the first to wake up in another country.
I appreciate someone ran a seed business,it was a shame it ended up with someone with that type of personality.
Marc sent me some lulu's lighting as a gift that was really nice. An asshole with good intentions, somewhat rare. JK

F

FeFiFoFum

Thats terrible. Marc is not a youngster and thats still a lot of time in rough prisons with terrorists for seeds. I just can't see how Canada and other countries constantly talk about Americas ridiculous laws and packed prisons but cooperate with our naziism just the same. On a plus side wouldn't it be a bonus to do time with the Prince I mean if ya had to. I bet the guy would have some amazing stories to share. I hope he shows a boat load of inmates how to overgrow the government when they are freed.

I

ismokepot

It will be federal time, nowhere as bad as the state pens- other then you'll end up doing most of it because there is no reduction in sentence length (i.e. good behavior). Personally, he ripped me numerous times (and many of my friends) so I'd let him rot.

KAL EL

KAL EL

It will be federal time, nowhere as bad as the state pens- other then you'll end up doing most of it because there is no reduction in sentence length (i.e. good behavior). Personally, he ripped me numerous times (and many of my friends) so I'd let him rot.

Yes, he should go to prison for mail fraud, (ripped off many people) not distribution.

F

FeFiFoFum

ouch! Funny me and many of my friends got the finest beans around consistantly with no problems from him for many many years. Then again I already knew my clan and I were special. ha ha Hope when your time for judgement comes round folks show much more kindness. Peace

sdgrower

sdgrower

Marc and the guys at Hemp BC were super cool when I was there in '96. Helped me big time with my first few grows.
Good luck Marc

Cheers!

C

chickenn

the mother fucker outright dared the dea to arrest him, verbally attacked people on the other side for no reason.

sometimes it is best just to respect the enemy, and not fuck with them. daring the u.s. government to do something about sending illegal shit across their borders, and talking shit about the dea, and running his mouth on and on.

i am all in support of and for people being outspoken about mj and it's usage. that's a good thing.

marc emory speaking about mj and it's usage.....well it's been said. he is a fuckin asshole and comes off as one big time.

someone else could have pulled it off. plenty folks sell beans, and don't get hunted down by the u.s.

guy was just an assclown.

D

DaNK aROMa

the mother fucker outright dared the dea to arrest him, verbally attacked people on the other side for no reason.

sometimes it is best just to respect the enemy, and not fuck with them. daring the u.s. government to do something about sending illegal shit across their borders, and talking shit about the dea, and running his mouth on and on.

i am all in support of and for people being outspoken about mj and it's usage. that's a good thing.

marc emory speaking about mj and it's usage.....well it's been said. he is a fuckin asshole and comes off as one big time.

someone else could have pulled it off. plenty folks sell beans, and don't get hunted down by the u.s.

guy was just an assclown.

took the words right out of my mouth, he got what he had comin' to him

even if you dont like the us government, you should still know better than to fuck with them :tongue0011:

U

uwg13

didn't emery snitch on Reeferman and a bunch of other breeders/growers? he sounds like a bitch

J

Josey_Wales

Long gone are the good ole days when you couldn't be busted for seeds because there's no proof they will produce viable plants..?
You people are nuts...the DEA should fuck off. They've been telling us pot will kill since the '30's. Bunch of God damned fuckin' liars. The DEA is the Gestapo for the Pharmaceutical lobbyists who peddle poison and have the nerve to call it medicine. I spent the last 10 years going from the bed to the couch to the bed in massive pain, never sleeping and hooked on Opiods. There is no cure for Fibro said my doctors..!
MY Fibromyalgia is damn near cured since I've been a MMJ patient. I'm outside now everyday working in my 100' X 35' vegetable garden. I go out with friends again, I sleep at night, I poop every day and I'm Opiod free..! I'm blown away at what Rick Simpsons' hemp oil recipe and the tinctures I make do for my condition. It's a damn miracle cure..!

GOD Bless you Marc..!

Hawke

S

StonedOwl

If you do something illegal under the radar, and the government does not try and arrest you, you do not cause any publicity. Nothing would happen, nothing would change. Nothingness breeds nothingness.

Only by being arrogant and honestly a bit of a d-bag from time to time can he attract attention to himself and do what he needs to do for the cause. Looks like he's trying to be a bit of a martyr.

A single dude standing up the giant monolith that is the USA. That’s pretty damn impressive to me, even if he is a d-bag.

D

Donk Frog

Without true cannbis warriors like Marc bringing the issues into the lime light nothing will ever get done...it people growing for profit$$$$$ and not meds or just to have good stuff that keep it illegal......If evryone who smoke weed told the governement to fuck off with cannabis laws....what would the all powerful....US do....nothing, same as alchool proabition, to much to handle ........and as for seeds I never had any problem with him...and if you have , do you really think as bigg as he got that he packed and took all the orders himself....no....busy guy, how do you wineee people know it was not crooked Postal worker, or bad employee,.....show a little respect, I at least write to my local politions, I grow and am not afraid to draw political attention (and mabee police attention) to something important to me....how many of you Marc haters have done anything for the cause latley...asided from smoking up, and putting a weed crusader down ?

M

MIZZ ELVIS

That's a cryin shame............Hopefully he will get an early release after a couple years time. This level of injustice is so sickening. Canada(like most countries of the world) is tied down, under the control of the puppet master American Government and its abominable War on Drugs. I wish more countries would defy the USA, and renounce its abhorable, imperialistic, Fascist government and their War on Drugs; then maybe Canada would have protected this upstanding citizen of their country, who was just abiding by the laws of his own country......Sad but true. He's Just another victim of the War on peace, and reason.

J

Jalisco Kid

There are a whole lot of adjectives to describe our government. Fascist and Nazi's are not one of them with any Truth. You guys/girls need to broaden your vocabulary a bit more. There a lot of derogatory words I know to describe our government and fine people like Bush who have run it. JK

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Josey wales
donk frog
stonedowl
I could not agree with you three more.....The rest below is for the Dumbasses.
.............. You disrespectful c***s, dont have one tenth the courage to do what Emery has done. Just keep talkin shit about a man that has the nerve to do what needs to be done to end prohibition. Idiots smokin their 8th, livin at home with mommy and daddy, shut the fuck up and be grateful for the awareness this man has brought to OUR cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom