Marijuana Legalization and Decriminalization On The Ballot Today

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
State and local elections Tuesday will see voters in Colorado, three Michigan cities, and Portland, Maine, deciding on marijuana policy reform questions. In Colorado,
voters will decide whether to approve taxation of the legal marijuana industry, while in Michigan and Portland, voters will decide on decriminalization and legalization, respectively.

In Colorado, Proposition AA would impose a 15% excise tax on wholesale recreational marijuana transactions, as well as an additional 10% sales tax at the retail level. The measure is expected to pass despite the opposition of some vocal segments of the state’s marijuana community.

http://thejointblog.com/marijuana-legalization-decriminalization-ballot-tuesday/

germinator

germinator

Fingers crossed.....but this state is nuts with the way they judicate the Michigan mma.

OilHead

OilHead

Voted. CO is a shoe-in... its just about the money, and we already voted the right... hope the other states come back with good news

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

25% tax will mean a boon to the colorado black market not to mention cheaper and better weed,all the dispensaries will have to turn on the private growers or risk being at a disadvantage,sticky wicket for sure,sucks to have the community divided.

Jboys3

Jboys3

25% tax will mean a boon to the colorado black market not to mention cheaper and better weed,all the dispensaries will have to turn on the private growers or risk being at a disadvantage,sticky wicket for sure,sucks to have the community divided.
I am not so sure in you are right in your assesment. Take a look at the history of the prohibition era. Once booze became 'legal' again, it was very easy for the local, state, and federal govenrments to seek out the mooshiners and hit them hard. The end of search and destroy freed up a lot of funds which were used to fighting a lost cause. My guess this could happen in Colorado and Washington.

Yes there are still 'shiners' out there, but a lot of them were run off once it became legal for booze. Those freed up funds did not go away, they were just deverted to track down illegal stills with the backing of the legal distilleries.

You may actually see some of your dispensaries 'turn' on the growers. Once a person's pocket book gets hurt, no telling what could happen. Plus the dispensaries will have the law on their side.

Personally I would like to see legal marijuana states move towards the likes of the wine industry. I can sell my wine through a wholesaler, retailer, and have my own tasting room. This allows the little guy to keep his hobby, just as long as he pays his taxes.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

I am not so sure in you are right in your assesment. Take a look at the history of the prohibition era. Once booze became 'legal' again, it was very easy for the local, state, and federal govenrments to seek out the mooshiners and hit them hard. The end of search and destroy freed up a lot of funds which were used to fighting a lost cause. My guess this could happen in Colorado and Washington.

Yes there are still 'shiners' out there, but a lot of them were run off once it became legal for booze. Those freed up funds did not go away, they were just deverted to track down illegal stills with the backing of the legal distilleries.

You may actually see some of your dispensaries 'turn' on the growers. Once a person's pocket book gets hurt, no telling what could happen. Plus the dispensaries will have the law on their side.

Personally I would like to see legal marijuana states move towards the likes of the wine industry. I can sell my wine through a wholesaler, retailer, and have my own tasting room. This allows the little guy to keep his hobby, just as long as he pays his taxes.

Totally agree. Just like Wine Baby.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I agree jboy,guess i wasnt clear enough.Tax will put dispos at a disadvatage to black market growers pricewise and they will complain plus dispensary weed just isnt as good a product as small growers can put out.Dispensaries complaining of lost sales and lost tax revenue will give government a reason to try and snuff out private growers.I agree with your wine assessment too and hope that happens but i wont hold my breath.

G8tfulgrdens

G8tfulgrdens

The state or federal gov will never be a good idea in cannabis. They years spent breeding this MEDICINE is being erased so everybody can get high, it's sad really. Marijuana is medicine and the constant comparison to alcohol is just outrageous. I sit at city hall meetings in washington state and listen to "there is no diff between reg whiskey and medical whiskey so why is pot any different". The bill we passed even had it in writing that it would not effect medical but here we are 6 days from everything we fought for being washed away on the back of greed, lies and misinformation. No RSO, BHO, PHO, HASH in it's true form or any edible over 100mg with a 75% tax plus another 9% sales tax on all meds. Half my patients are bed riden and on fixed income so this is going to be devastating. There also shutting down over 5,000 growers and close to 1,000 collectives in the state. In place there will about 35-40 commercial corporate run shops that will obviously be after that $$$$$$$$$$ not the sick, elderly people who really need the medicine. Oh, and im sure our jails are going to be spilling over with people in trouble for not following this over regulation or simply not being able to afford it. I also keep hearing it's only washington, ha just wait this will be the model they use to sweep the nation as we cheer like it's an accomplishment in the movment. We the USA have some of the best cannabis and breeding in the game right now and i just hate to see us building and loading up our own trojan horse.

Jboys3

Jboys3

The state or federal gov will never be a good idea in cannabis. They years spent breeding this MEDICINE is being erased so everybody can get high, it's sad really. Marijuana is medicine and the constant comparison to alcohol is just outrageous. I sit at city hall meetings in washington state and listen to "there is no diff between reg whiskey and medical whiskey so why is pot any different". The bill we passed even had it in writing that it would not effect medical but here we are 6 days from everything we fought for being washed away on the back of greed, lies and misinformation. No RSO, BHO, PHO, HASH in it's true form or any edible over 100mg with a 75% tax plus another 9% sales tax on all meds. Half my patients are bed riden and on fixed income so this is going to be devastating. There also shutting down over 5,000 growers and close to 1,000 collectives in the state. In place there will about 35-40 commercial corporate run shops that will obviously be after that $$$$$$$$$$ not the sick, elderly people who really need the medicine. Oh, and im sure our jails are going to be spilling over with people in trouble for not following this over regulation or simply not being able to afford it. I also keep hearing it's only washington, ha just wait this will be the model they use to sweep the nation as we cheer like it's an accomplishment in the movment. We the USA have some of the best cannabis and breeding in the game right now and i just hate to see us building and loading up our own trojan horse.
You are correct...It is sad.

Two roads every state can or will go down. One is recreational use and the other is medical use. Get the politicians and the voters to realize there are two sides and work on a solution which is best for both sides, not one or the other. If you don't then I am afraid what you mention will become a reality

frebo

frebo

Oh my! After thinking about legalization of marijuana in Oregon ( on ballot November of 2014) I am not sure I will vote for it if we are not allowed to grow our own. We have a great MMJ system in place allowing us 6 plants per patient and 1 1/2 lbs. in our possession. How can you not be allowed to grow your own when we can make 200 gallons of alcohol a year without any kind of license or permit. Take the money out of it or we will always have a black market. Everyone wants weed taxes to solve some local issue but the black market will undermine the system and we are probably better off the way we are.

G8tfulgrdens

G8tfulgrdens

Oh my! After thinking about legalization of marijuana in Oregon ( on ballot November of 2014) I am not sure I will vote for it if we are not allowed to grow our own. We have a great MMJ system in place allowing us 6 plants per patient and 1 1/2 lbs. in our possession. How can you not be allowed to grow your own when we can make 200 gallons of alcohol a year without any kind of license or permit. Take the money out of it or we will always have a black market. Everyone wants weed taxes to solve some local issue but the black market will undermine the system and we are probably better off the way we are.

Sounds like you have thought about some of the key issues at hand and i personally think we have a great thing going with medical. I pray that other patients educate themselves because it's not black and white. Washington has large California\Arizona gangs moving into the cannabis game with anticipation of booming prices and market here soon. I would also assume the cartels will be back thick and planting our national forests again. The impact this has on communities alone with the violence and crime will be overwhelming and any penny made will be spent policing the criminal element. I think it's kinda comical that folks think people will stop going thru there normal person now and pay 3 to 4 times the amount for lower quality medicine?
I think about it like this if there were 50 people on a bridge and the first person jumped off....wouldn't everybody else wait and see if the first person made it safely? It seems to me Washington hasn't even hit the water and we can see the rock a foot under the surface!!!
I'm so about not putting people in jail and the decrimilazation of cannabis for all parties but this is not that. I cant get on the band wagon of "this is good for the cause" at the expense of our sick, needy and elderly. Marijuana is medicine and i believe that will all my heart and soul from all the first hand experiences in my life. This legalization thing is abolishing that train of thought and going to destroy all positive aspects of cannabis. The state, federal goverment and corporations have zero intrest in cannabis being used for medicine and this is who will control the industry, not the patients who depend on this medicine for there quality of life.

Jboys3

Jboys3

The latest article in The Oregonian mentions we can still grow, but the quantity drops from six plants to four and a pound and a half to half a pound at any given time per patient. I guess I will have to pertfect the art of scrogging....

The issue of a $4000.00 dispensary license is ridiculous because I can open other type of business for $50.00[not sure about the liquor store business].

Who are the groups in Salem that supposedly represent us medical growers?

ttystikk

ttystikk

In Washington state, town meetings and other political gatherings are finding themselves packed FULL of irate citizens demanding that their right to grow at home not be infringed. That kind of public political pressure makes it harder for the powers that be to roll back pout rights- and in fact is a clarion call for ALL of us to do the same, in every state we live in!

The corporate takeover of marijuana will only happen if We The People allow it.

SO DON'T!

Jboys3

Jboys3

In Washington state, town meetings and other political gatherings are finding themselves packed FULL of irate citizens demanding that their right to grow at home not be infringed. That kind of public political pressure makes it harder for the powers that be to roll back pout rights- and in fact is a clarion call for ALL of us to do the same, in every state we live in!

The corporate takeover of marijuana will only happen if We The People allow it.

SO DON'T!
I like your thoughts, but in smaller communities most people are against people growing; especially in Eastern Washington.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I like your thoughts, but in smaller communities most people are against people growing; especially in Eastern Washington.

So you're going to simply let them have their say without making your own views heard? WE are the experts on this issue, now that it's finally an issue they're willing to hear in open meetings, it's up to US to share our wisdom, experience and opinions- don't let the nay sayers win by default!

G8tfulgrdens

G8tfulgrdens

Washington i502 legal nonsense clearly stated that medical would NOT be affected in any way, they told us whatever we wanted to hear to pass the bill. Then change and ratify it to there benefit in abolishing medical cannabis which there doing a great job of.
For us who live here in EW have been seeing this coming since day one, as seattle was wallowing in there cannabis glory our farmers and shops are getting there doors kicked down, robbed and takin to jail. I closed my dispensary 8 months ago when it was very obvious this was the direction the LCB was going and they told us all over and over and over. Now everybody is acting like there shocked the state did this..get real!!!
Just cause some cops handed out some chips in one city doesn't mean we won!!! If i'm in jail this will not help my cause, my patients or family in any way. We already lost the fight in Washington over a year ago and most the state was blind to this unfourtnatley and the rest will be irate once they get denied there permits for growing and selling. Most the big names in the game in WA are banking on getting that license and it's going to be a shocker to most when corporate intrest and money trump equallity and fairness. I just want other states to not ass rape there sick and old patients and for everybody to quite acting like this is a good thing and a step forward! The day legalization passed was the day we lost for the patients in WA and let greed and empty promises trump common sense! Please dont make the mistake we did and let your patients down in your state, think about how good the rights, access, prices, medical benefits and on and on are in Oregon, why get greedy like WA and ruin that!:rage:

Jboys3

Jboys3

So you're going to simply let them have their say without making your own views heard? WE are the experts on this issue, now that it's finally an issue they're willing to hear in open meetings, it's up to US to share our wisdom, experience and opinions- don't let the nay sayers win by default!
I live in the great State of Oregon, so I don't think I will go and fight Washington growers battles for them. I am sure my plate will be full in Oregon starting in 2014 as we are expected to be the next state with legalized recreational use.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I live in the great State of Oregon, so I don't think I will go and fight Washington growers battles for them. I am sure my plate will be full in Oregon starting in 2014 as we are expected to be the next state with legalized recreational use.

Pick your battle, then fight it to WIN! Would you believe Wyoming is seriously considering legalization? That state is redder than Texas!

Top Bottom