Marijuana Legalization Bill Introduced In Alabama

• Thread starter Storm Raven
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Storm Raven

Storm Raven

By Scott Gacek

MONTGOMERY, AL — A bill that would allow the possession, use, cultivation, and sale of marijuana by adults in Alabama was introduced Thursday. The bill would also authorize the medical use of marijuana in Alabama and the cultivation of industrial hemp.

Rep. Patricia Todd (D-Birmingham)

House Bill 550, the Alabama Cannabis and Hemp Reform Act of 2013, was introduced Thursday by Birmingham Democrat Rep. Patricia Todd, who has unsuccessfully lobbied her colleagues at the Alabama state house to legalize medical marijuana, including two medical marijuana bills introduced this year.

If passed, House Bill 550 would:

• Allow adults 21 or older to use or possess up to one ounce of marijuana
  • Allow adults 21 or older to grow up to twelve mature cannabis plants in an enclosed, locked space
  • Allow adults 21 or older to share, but not sell, marijuana among other adults 21 or older
  • Authorize the Department of Revenue to regulate the cultivation, processing, packaging, testing, transportation, display, and sale of marijuana and marijuana accessories
  • Prohibit the sale of marijuana except by licensed, regulated cannabis retail stores
  • Sets product labeling regulations and advertising restrictions for marijuana and marijuana related businesses
  • Authorize the medical use of marijuana by certain qualifying patients who have been diagnosed by a physician as having a serious medical condition.
  • Allow the cultivation of industrial hemp by Alabama farmers
  • Impose penalties for supplying marijuana to minors under 21 years of age, except those with medical marijuana authorizations
  • Allows local communities to ban marijuana retail outlets, but only if approved by voters on an even-numbered election year ballot.
Alabama currently has some of the harshest marijuana penalties in the country. Possession of any amount of marijuana — even a single joint — is punishable by up to a year of incarceration and a $6,000 fine.

If passed, the Alabama Cannabis and Hemp Reform Act of 2013 would take effect on October 1, 2013. The bill has been referred to the Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee.

A poll released earlier this week found that the majority of Americans now favor the legalization of marijuana.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

This will never happen in Alabama. Hell has not frozen. Our wonderful lets raise taxes governor says he will not sign this bill because marijuana is a dangerous drug and sends the wrong message to our children.. By the way he is a retired physician.

I say fire his stupid butt and put someone in office that will listen to the people and quit locking people up for marijuana.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

LOL, We still have dry counties and blue laws to keep people from buying alcohol on Sunday in this state weed is years from any form of legalization or decriminalization here in the third world state of Alabama.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

VESTAVIA HILLS, AL Posted: May 02, 2015

If you drove along Highway 31 this afternoon in Vestavia Hills, you might have seen a crowd gathered in front of City Hall.

Members of the Alabama Safe Access Project held a rally around 1 p.m. on Saturday in support of Senate Bill 326.

That bill would legalize medical marijuana in the state of Alabama.

The legislation would allow patients who suffer from 25 specific conditions to use a limited amount of marijuana, a maximum of 10 ounces per month.

Supporters want to see the bill make it to the Senate floor for debate before the end of the regular legislative session.

"It's time to see if we can do it right. I don't know that it's been done right in any state that's passed legislation like this,” said Christopher Butts of the Alabama Medical Marijuana Coalition.

“But it's time for our legislators in Montgomery to help us craft something that will be easily enforceable and will protect the patients who can benefit therapeutically from medical marijuana," Butts continued.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
WOW!! 10 ounces a month, man I thought an ounce per week was a lot. That's over 2 ounces a week.
My wife an' I vape ~two ounces a week--
plus external extracts/tinctures at night...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL, We still have dry counties and blue laws to keep people from buying alcohol on Sunday in this state weed is years from any form of legalization or decriminalization here in the third world state of Alabama.
WWTDLD--
(What Would The Dalai Lama Do)???...

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

He would be dissapointed that a country like the US and a state like Alabama is still sending people to prison for long periods of time for marijuana. A prison system that is not only bankrupting the state but is now at 200% capacity with the threat of a federal take over. Bottom line he would say Alabama should leave those people alone.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

WWTDLD--
(What Would The Dalai Lama Do)???...

I can not say, I practice Theravada Buddhism not Tibetan Buddhism. However, he would be concerned that we put people in prison for long periods of time for weed in this country especially Alabama who now has a prison capacity of over 200% and a threat of a federal take over.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
He would be dissapointed that a country like the US and a state like Alabama is still sending people to prison for long periods of time for marijuana. A prison system that is not only bankrupting the state but is now at 200% capacity with the threat of a federal take over. Bottom line he would say Alabama should leave those people alone.
I can not say, I practice Theravada Buddhism not Tibetan Buddhism. However, he would be concerned that we put people in prison for long periods of time for weed in this country especially Alabama who now has a prison capacity of over 200% and a threat of a federal take over.
I figure His Holiness might say something like,
It would be wise to compassionately educate The People--
but he has said:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquitoAmerica is a democratic country. It really is a peaceful and open society, in which individuals have the maximum opportunity to develop their human creativity and potentialAt the day of judgement, God will ask, ‘What did you do with your time, what did you do with your money?’ This is why I ask our friends, ‘Please give us a chance to help make this world a better placeEvery day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I canIf a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoeverJudge your success by what you had to give up in order to get itRemember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luckWhen we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways–either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strengthIf you can cultivate the right attitude, your enemies are your best spiritual teachers because their presence provides you with the opportunity to enhance and develop tolerance, patience and understandingThe way to change others’ minds is with affection, and not angerIn the practice of tolerance, one’s enemy is the best teacherIrrespective of whether we are believers or agnostics, whether we believe in God or karma, moral ethics is a code which everyone is able to pursue
I defeat my enemies when I make them my friends--
Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively"...

Last edited:
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
The 14th Dalai Lama will celebrate his 80th birthday in The Heart of Babby-Lon:
Orange County California on July 6th;
I think he really came to see the Grateful Dead shows--
and if anyone channel Jerry--
His Holiness can...

Last edited:
TreeDoc

TreeDoc

One of the main issues in this state is the extreme penalties keep those who can have an educated conversation on the subject fearful to speak out in support because they could lose their livelihood or freedom.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

One of the main issues in this state is the extreme penalties keep those who can have an educated conversation on the subject fearful to speak out in support because they could lose their livelihood or freedom.

Yap this is very true. Also if you support it then you must be a drug addict. This I have heard many times even from people who drink alcohol everyday. I love firing on people who drink like a sot yet condemn us for smoking weed.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

I actually got to go see the Dalai Lama last October when he came to town. The main thing I like about him is his humor. He laughed a lot. I did not get a one on one with him but I can claim I have seen him in real life. Quite an honor for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom