Marijuana Regulators Target Home Cultivation

• Thread starter shaggyballs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shaggyballs

shaggyballs

Marijuana Regulators Target Home Cultivation
Since its founding, NORML has advocated that statewide legalization efforts – whether through a ballot initiative or using the legislative process – should ideally include provisions that permit and protect the act of home cultivation by marijuana consumers. This advocacy has resulted in more than 16 states now allowing home cultivation, including in six of the eight voter-initiated measures passed in 2016.

But although there has been a tremendous amount of progress on this issue, it appears that home cultivation is now at risk in several municipalities across Colorado and California. Local and state lawmakers in both jurisdictions are revisiting the issue and are moving toward unnecessarily limiting adult’s home cultivation rights.

Most recently, representatives with Denver’s Office of Marijuana Policy revealed a plan to, “limit unlicensed recreational and medical grows in private residences,” throughout the city of Denver. This decision came after months of closed-door meetings between regulators and leading marijuana industry interests such as the Marijuana Industry Group (MIG); which together, form what’s being called the, “Non-Licensed Marijuana Grows Inspection Team.”

Although there has been little to no mention of specific details regarding this proposed program, many are anticipating the new regulations to resemble those that have come under fire in Indian Wells, California. In that city, lawmakers are pushing for regulations mandating that anyone who wishes to cultivate marijuana in their home must purchase an annual permit and must also allow inspectors into their residence. This amounts to an absolutely unnecessary burden for responsible, law-abiding citizens.

In recent days, Denver NORML became inundated with emails, messages and comments on social media demanding a response to what many believe is a blatant overreach by city government officials. In response, members of Denver NORML, led by Executive Director, Jordan Person, began mobilizing volunteers to contact members of the Denver City Council with the goal of defending the rights and privacy of marijuana consumers in the city of Denver.

“With all of the uncertainty we are expecting in 2017 at both the local and state level our goal at Denver NORML is to help maintain our rights as residents of Colorado to grow in our homes,” said Person. “We will keep our members and supporters informed and part of the conversation as it happens.”

While it’s obvious that there’s a tremendous amount of work that goes into regulating Colorado’s legal marijuana industry, most marijuana consumers would never support any effort that would attempt to bring similar regulations into the privacy of their homes. Not to mention the fact that the creation of a task force or any other bureaucratic process to approve and/or oversee the cultivation of marijuana in a private residence amounts to a severe misuse of tax dollars and violation of privacy when those limited resources could be dedicated to combating actual problems in our communities.

Without providing any data points related to the correlation between home cultivation and out-of-state diversion, those advocating for tighter regulations deserve to fail in their attempt to convince marijuana consumers that allowing regular visits from government officials in their homes is a good idea. Adults who brew their own beer are not subject to inspections by the state and neither should those who choose to grow personal use quantities of marijuana. Furthermore, criminalizing the personal cultivation of marijuana is an arbitrary prohibition that has absolutely no basis in public safety. Therefore NORML will continue to support the right of individuals to grow their own marijuana as an alternative to purchasing it from licensed commercial producers.

To join the fight to protect home cultivation, check out NORML’s action page by visiting Take Action or for more information, please email [email protected].

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

The city I live in banned home grows in a med legal state. Reason why I grow in detroit. It's a scary position to be in, as the bad guys have guns, I can't legally. Knife vs gun, I better improve my ninja knife throwing skills.

Geopv916

Geopv916

I hope I'm wrong but it sounds like commercial growers are trying to make sure their stuff is the only Stuff out there. Some of them forget they used to be home growers like ourselves I guess. Like I said I hope I'm wrong but this sounds eerily familiar to big companies and lobbyists talking to politician to push their agenda via "support"

icanfarm

icanfarm

So if I grow tomatoes or grapes or squash do I have to open my home to inspection if a person is producing for personal consumption and it's legal then it's no ones buisness

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I have always grown in states with banned home grows...
I wouldnt tell the government that I was growing it if I were in a legal state, they probably already know anyway...
Its a plant that has been growing and being used long long before there was any governments. Its a plant that was made by God and put on earth for us to use for food, medicine, and shelter/tools etc just like every other seed bearing plant. Anyone that bends over and lets big brother tell them how many or what plant they can grow is just feeding the bigger issue. What we all need to do is sew it in the fields like George Washington said we should and then the rules will change.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They always find some way to look in our residences
There are legality issues, I know some folks who are looking for someone willing to be the test case, so to speak.
I hope I'm wrong but it sounds like commercial growers are trying to make sure their stuff is the only Stuff out there. Some of them forget they used to be home growers like ourselves I guess. Like I said I hope I'm wrong but this sounds eerily familiar to big companies and lobbyists talking to politician to push their agenda via "support"
The commercial cats have not a thing to do with this. This is city councils who don't want ANY cannabis in their area.

So if I grow tomatoes or grapes or squash do I have to open my home to inspection if a person is producing for personal consumption and it's legal then it's no ones buisness
This is part and parcel of the legality issue.

lino

lino

Kick it in, fuck you , I dare you kick it.
Boom! shock grenade bust thru the window, bullet proof army guys jumpN in backyard. Tank rolls onto the frt yard filled with bullet proof soldiers, Loud speaker going, They dont come to my home w/o no knock search warrant. Home grows will be attacked even harder in due time. Home growers vs Dispenses- the attack will start soon. TAX time homies

iKharon

iKharon

CO gov put in sound advice though with others about legalizing and watching edibles market.. maybe that will be a healthy distraction.

Geopv916

Geopv916

I wish I was a s confident in you as you seem to be. Granted I'm not speaking in general of commercial growers but don't be surprised if a couple are in bed with city council. It's a tactic that's been used over the course of history. Outlaw homegrows, next each county will override state law and only allow one commercial license. I might not be a pro grower but I've e worked in mj for over a decade and even longer in bussisnes and city councils hardly ever do anything without getting their beak wet.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Kick it in, fuck you , I dare you kick it.
Boom! shock grenade bust thru the window, bullet proof army guys jumpN in backyard. Tank rolls onto the frt yard filled with bullet proof soldiers, Loud speaker going, They dont come to my home w/o no knock search warrant. Home grows will be attacked even harder in due time. Home growers vs Dispenses- the attack will start soon. TAX time homies
I've been saying since the beginning. Cannabis isnt any different than alcohol prohibition was. The Revenuers worked long and hard to destroy home brewed stills of people that were only trying to survive. Big Alcohol were the lobbyists in WA DC that lined the pockets of our legislators and helped with the political campaigns. Did we really expect Big Cannabis would be any different. Once regulated, taxed and the Big Deep pockets got involved it was and is only a matter of time before home growing will once again be on the DEA hit list. If I'm wrong, I will concede, but something tells me times are going to get tough for the notion of homegrowing. There are too many heavy hitters that see residential homegrows as a threat to their bottom line. Or local municipalities that will ban it and criminalize homegrows in their districts, as @Seamaiden has pointed out is already happening everywhere.

M

mendel

I've been saying since the beginning. Cannabis isnt any different than alcohol prohibition was. The Revenuers worked long and hard to destroy home brewed stills of people that were only trying to survive. Big Alcohol were the lobbyists in WA DC that lined the pockets of our legislators and helped with the political campaigns. Did we really expect Big Cannabis would be any different. Once regulated, taxed and the Big Deep pockets got involved it was and is only a matter of time before home growing will once again be on the DEA hit list. If I'm wrong, I will concede, but something tells me times are going to get tough for the notion of homegrowing. There are too many heavy hitters that see residential homegrows as a threat to their bottom line. Or local municipalities that will ban it and criminalize homegrows in their districts, as @Seamaiden has pointed out is already happening everywhere.

Couldnt agree more, and like before, well still grow our smoke, they cant stop us.

Legalization, what a joke.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
For 30 years and counting!!! And what would the world be like if no one had the brass balls to grow even if they say we cant. Never stopped me. :smoking:
Me too but now they have the tax dollars to enforce it before they did not.:)
I'm hoping the Feds shut Down the dispensary's so we can all be back on a level playing field.:smoking:

Cali clouds

Cali clouds

Apparently nobody in the IE got the memo, lol. I have seen more greenhouse's go up in the ghetto this year then ever before. I think everyone thinks it's legal so they can throw up a 2500sf greenhouse. The hills are glowing with greenhouse's at night right now. They look like UFO's. I'm waiting for the law to thin the heard or else the market is going to crash bad this harvest season. Who ever thought that moreno valley would be cultivating millions of pounds. This place looks like nor Cal with the outdoor this year

lino

lino

home grow vs dispense - TAX time - Uncle Sam is Uncle Sugar. Arrest and cannabis citation of violations are on the rise and the FEDs have NOT stopped by our homes for their cut yet, yup, Its going to get ugly cuz I knew hillary was going to take over cannabis biz with Dow/Dupont Med Pharm, But what Trump does with his Feds is anyones guess, but we'll all agree if Trump decides to attack , he'll attack hard with FED cops cuz he aint scared. But for now I can tell he has a to many Obama messes to clean up so he is distracted from states cannabis laws.

Top Bottom