MassBoost from Aptus?

• Thread starter bibbles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bibbles

bibbles

I was checking out the nutrient calculator, and I ran into something confusing:

For sensitive, weak, or smaller plants, use a smaller dosage of MassBoost in week 3. When using RO water and/or coco, use a basic CaMg product to supplement. Never use MassBoost and another CaMg product together. Can be used effectively as a foliar feed, especially with pure hydroponics systems or to correct deficiencies.

These two lines seem awfully contradictory, so I had a look around:

Take care when using MassBoost on young plants because the nitrates (along with other nitrates from your base fertilizer) can cause tip burn and stress. If this is the case use a CaMg supplement without nitrates to buffer RO water.

I'm using reverse osmosis water, should I still add my regular CaMg at the beginning?

When using RO water, you can add some Ca and Mg in order to create a buffer. Adding bioavailable Ca and Mg with MassBoost, will avoid antagonism with potassium and balance the nutrition in critical stages of plant development. In early stages of growth the nitrates in MassBosot[sic] can burn tender plants. It may be a good idea to use another CaMg booster as a buffer--one with minimal or no nitrates.

I'm using coco, do I need extra MassBoost?

Probably not extra, though every situation is a bit different. Most growers using coco have good results at the recommended dosage. And depending on your base fertilizer, you may want to supplement with another CaMg earlier in the vegetative phase.

I think they're trying to say you should use a CaMg supplement, and that MassBoost is a CaMg supplement, but that it has a lot of N, and so if burning occurs one should switch to a different CaMg supplement with less N; also, don't double up on CaMg supplements, as that may cause toxicity... Is that about right?

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I ran Aptus awhile back using heavy 16 as the base, I didn't add anything to my RO, and my Ro is 2 ppm, I guess if you start having problem then add some Cal Mag if needed.

J

JahStone

If you look at their old or advanced schedule it shows mass boost being used every other week of flower until about week 5 or 7...
They used to say not to add your regular calmag supplement during the mass boost applications.
I dont add calmag to my coco and just use magical every other week at 1ml per gal on top of 6/9 and its too much N so only do it with one water every other week.
Fasilitor and Massboost are a rip off imo
I got a free sample pack including start boost. That shit smelled so bad I threw it out!

bibbles

bibbles

I ran Aptus awhile back using heavy 16 as the base, I didn't add anything to my RO, and my Ro is 2 ppm, I guess if you start having problem then add some Cal Mag if needed.

Is there a reason you switched, beyond trying something new? Thanks!

full strength massboost is 2 ml per gallon. ive always thought that was a little much. i used it at 2 ml per gallon and didnt see any burning on a few strains. but i have since switched to using it at 1 ml per gallon and havent since a difference.

The nutrient calculator actually takes it up to 4ml/gal in flower now, but good to know; what was your base? Thanks!

If you look at their old or advanced schedule it shows mass boost being used every other week of flower until about week 5 or 7...
They used to say not to add your regular calmag supplement during the mass boost applications.
I dont add calmag to my coco and just use magical every other week at 1ml per gal on top of 6/9 and its too much N so only do it with one water every other week.
Fasilitor and Massboost are a rip off imo
I got a free sample pack including start boost. That shit smelled so bad I threw it out!

Do you have a link to those feed schedules? I can't find them; also, 6/9 has a good amount of N, but that ratio appears to basically use extra Micro instead of a CaMg supplement, and Micro doesn't contain Mg, that's in Bloom (along with S), which you're using less of; adding a CaMg supplement along side 6/9, and one with almost three times more Ca than Mg, I'd bet your problems have nothing to do with N. You'd probably be better off replacing MagiCal with Epsom salt, since Mg and S are where your base falls short, not Ca, nor Fe.

Thanks!

J

JahStone

Is there a reason you switched, beyond trying something new? Thanks!

The nutrient calculator actually takes it up to 4ml/gal in flower now, but good to know; what was your base? Thanks!

Do you have a link to those feed schedules? I can't find them; also, 6/9 has a good amount of N, but that ratio appears to basically use extra Micro instead of a CaMg supplement, and Micro doesn't contain Mg, that's in Bloom (along with S), which you're using less of; adding a CaMg supplement along side 6/9, and one with almost three times more Ca than Mg, I'd bet your problems have nothing to do with N. You'd probably be better off replacing MagiCal with Epsom salt, since Mg and S are where your base falls short, not Ca, nor Fe.

Thanks!

Thats basically what Ive done. But I hit them with mag pro at .5ml/g a few times during veg and 1-2ml/g once a week for the first 3-4 weeks of flower, then I hit them with the koolblooms once a week.
Will continue with epsom foliar here and there though. The mag pro foliar nearly fucked up the plants I tried it on at onset... Do not try at home...
This is what I go by, but I hit them week 1 and cut after the calyx swell(5-7)
At minimum add MassBoost to your reservoir during weeks 3, 5, 7, 8 of the flowering stage.
Sometimes additional calcium/magnesium supplementation is necessary during vegetative and early bloom stages.
If needed MassBoost should be used at a lower dosage or as a foliar spray. - See more at: http://aptus-usa.com/massboost#sthash.2xih29tp.dpuf

Top Bottom