Master Kush & Gelato (NFT + HST)

• Thread starter Frostie069
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frostie069

Frostie069

Greetings,

I pitched the tent again a couple of months ago now with the hope of running some Holy Grail Kush beans that I had stowed away.
While I have a few grows under my belt I have allot to learn, especially when it comes to germination.
So unfortunatelty due to human error my Holy Grail Kush germ didn't work out so I had to place an order and wait for delivery.
In the interim I continued to modify my NFT set up as it needed it.
My order arrived and I got straight to work on getting them to pop, once again I had a bit of a struggle, as they say the best way to learn is through mistakes and that's what I was doing quickly. So I changed the environment of my 9 MK and lost two in doing so. Due to being left in the previous environment for too long they snapped the stem just under the first leaves.(too moist). Since my NFT has 9 spots I want to fill 9 spots, so I start an emergency Gelato germination. Learning from my mistakes I nailed the Gelato germ and had them quickly underway. Meanwhile I had to bring back 2 of my MK as they weren't in good shape from previous environment and I had 5 now doing well.

Start Date: 13/7 - seedlings in channels
Master Kush X7 & Gelato X2
Grow room: 1.2m X 1.2m
NFT channels 3 X 1m
Reservoir: 45L
Lighting: 600W MH (at the moment)
Nutrients: House and Garden aqua flakes
2X mushroom C02 bags
2X fans
2X small dehumidifier
blulab guardian

Fast forward a couple of weeks-ish and today MK # 1 & 5 had their first topping. (I label them from germ, 1 is the front runner and so on) The plan will be to mainline them, 8 mains per plant.

I started with the reservoir inside the tent underneath the channels and quickly had to move it outside of the tent due to heat. I was adding frozen bottles to the reservoir to keep a 19-20C range until my chiller was ready to pick up. Chiller sorted the temp BUT,
my ph from the get go constantly rises and quickly, start at 5.4, 6 hours later 7.4, ph down just doesn't keep it there. Im trying all different variables but no luck yet. I have found switching off the air stones slows the rise but doesn't lower it BUT,'
from what I can see the plants are doing well.
I should mention I have never NFT'd before, in all honesty I haven't had much previous success indoors (soil).

Some photos.

Thanks for stopping by.
Master kush  gelato nft  hst
Master kush  gelato nft  hst 2
Master kush  gelato nft  hst 3
Master kush  gelato nft  hst 4
Master kush  gelato nft  hst 5
Master kush  gelato nft  hst 6
Master kush  gelato nft  hst 7
Master kush  gelato nft  hst 8
Master kush  gelato nft  hst 9
Master kush  gelato nft  hst 10

Frostie069

Frostie069

Back with some more pics.

There is a pic of the initial NFT setup that the Holy Grail Kush was going to go into, kind of lucky they didn't work out, the theory did not match the reality with this setup.

You'll notice the changes made to the NFT, works much better than previous but needs tweaking.

I'm making RO water now to hopefully sort out my ph issue, tap water just isn't working out at the moment. I can't keep it below 7.0, going up to 7.4 See how RO goes.

Other pics are taken just now, I topped two yesterday, pics attached.

Every grow (I haven't done that many and never NFT) I aim for the best possible outcome and am not afraid to put in the hours to achieve, If anyone stops past and has any advice or sees something that isn't right, I'd love to hear about it.
IMG 1954
IMG 1956
IMG 1957
IMG 1958

tobh

tobh

Supporter
not sure your country of origin, but if you're in the US, where did you acquire your rails from?

I've been looking to build a NFT unit but the only places I have found that sell the rails sell super long lengths and require larger orders. the other option is buy a prebuilt system and chop it up while basically flushing the hydro tax down the drain since prebuilt units are always at minimum 5x the material cost.

Frostie069

Frostie069

not sure your country of origin, but if you're in the US, where did you acquire your rails from?

I've been looking to build a NFT unit but the only places I have found that sell the rails sell super long lengths and require larger orders. the other option is buy a prebuilt system and chop it up while basically flushing the hydro tax down the drain since prebuilt units are always at minimum 5x the material cost.
Hi mate, I am on the other side of the globe, you know, kangaroos, wallabies, snakes, spiders and crocs.

They still had to come interstate, smallest size was a 3m length, expensive little exercise but from my research a must have if you want to do it properly so I went with it, I am actually looking to order another length in the near future as I want to have a seamless swap out and regrow after harvest. (hopefully I make it there) also the current NFT setup I will take apart after this grow and reassemble better.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Where did you source your master kush from? Are they fems or regs? Master kush is something I used to smoke way back.

Frostie069

Frostie069

Where did you source your master kush from? Are they fems or regs? Master kush is something I used to smoke way back.
Hi Mate,

MSNL and fems.

I stumbled upon it, I am a fan of Kush, so when looking up strains the historic genetics really appealed to me. Not that it matters but funny, apparently its snoops strain of choice, it did add to my curiosity....and yes I am very curious and patiently waiting and hoping I make it there.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Hi mate, I am on the other side of the globe, you know, kangaroos, wallabies, snakes, spiders and crocs.

They still had to come interstate, smallest size was a 3m length, expensive little exercise but from my research a must have if you want to do it properly so I went with it, I am actually looking to order another length in the near future as I want to have a seamless swap out and regrow after harvest. (hopefully I make it there) also the current NFT setup I will take apart after this grow and reassemble better.
good lookin out! that's the same issue I'm running into here -- 3m lengths or longer and the few manufacturers I've found want orders of 10+ units. Simply too expensive for what I'm trying to do. might end up using gutters instead, though i hate things that look hacked together.

Frostie069

Frostie069

good lookin out! that's the same issue I'm running into here -- 3m lengths or longer and the few manufacturers I've found want orders of 10+ units. Simply too expensive for what I'm trying to do. might end up using gutters instead, though i hate things that look hacked together.
Shame you can purchase individually, gutters or the big round pvc pipes seem to work out ok, I know they say flat bottom is the go but people seem to NFT out of them, heaps of fittings to keep it neat.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Shame you can purchase individually, gutters or the big round pvc pipes seem to work out ok, I know they say flat bottom is the go but people seem to NFT out of them, heaps of fittings to keep it neat.
seen lots of pvc builds. i just don't like the idea of the deeper film. i actually plan on building a multi-tier system for my family room so the kids can start learning to grow lettuce and herbs, and if the NFT in there does alright, setting up larger systems on the fences in the backyard to keep fresh produce going all year round with minimal yard space getting consumed.

Frostie069

Frostie069

Hi All,

Im a couple of days into week three of my babies going into the channels but I'm in alignment with week two of the feeding schedule and slowly raising. 1.2EC and 19C

I bumped the lights up to 600W early in the week and they didn't like it, very sad by Wednesday so I lowered them back to 400W and returning home after work they've perked right up and had growth even though my ph has sat at 7.6.

Wednesday I made a batch of RO and stabilised it, added nutrients and lowered ph to 5.6 and let it sit for an hour. Once in circulation it slowly raised while gradually gaining speed, then slowing again at 6.9 until settling at 7.6.

Im still in the process of elimination of cause and remedy however they're happy and growing, they should be in ph lock but aren't. Im worried and happy at the same time.

Today I topped the remaining 7 that are a little behind MK 1 & 5.

some photos, its lights out at 1300 and I arrived home just after so I had to disturb them.

happy growing!

IMG 1965
IMG 1966
IMG 1967
IMG 1968

Frostie069

Frostie069

Hah I had to google NFT 🙄 that is too cool man. Wicked to see how early you are topping them. They stay in the NFTs all the way through harvest?
hey mate, hahaha yeah it's not a common method but growing some traction from what I see. I topped a couple probably earlier than I should/liked. Two of them didn't have their fifth nodes yet and they're the ones recovering slowest, otherwise, yeah I like to chop them soon after the fifth has shown up, now I'm just waiting to have enough length to start tying them down, I like to get to that as early as possible too while they're nice and flexible.
Yeah that's home now until harvest.
Its my first time so I'm doing the crash course into indoor hydroponics/NFT, I've done ample amounts of previous research but as always nothing prepares you for reality, fingers crossed.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

hey mate, hahaha yeah it's not a common method but growing some traction from what I see. I topped a couple probably earlier than I should/liked. Two of them didn't have their fifth nodes yet and they're the ones recovering slowest, otherwise, yeah I like to chop them soon after the fifth has shown up, now I'm just waiting to have enough length to start tying them down, I like to get to that as early as possible too while they're nice and flexible.
Yeah that's home now until harvest.
Its my first time so I'm doing the crash course into indoor hydroponics/NFT, I've done ample amounts of previous research but as always nothing prepares you for reality, fingers crossed.
"not common" = unique in my book 💪 I am new to cultivating and love to see all the different methods far and near. So am I correct each of the 3 white reservoirs are separate from each other but all flow into a reservoir? That reservoir has intake and outflow and so long as the reservoir is where you want it, you are assured your roots are too?
Interesting you should bring up "nodes" because the 1st thing I notice is all your cultivars were topped at the node after a 3 finger leaf. I bring this up because it doesn't seem like anyone agrees on where to start counting nodes. Is it the 1 finger leaf(the 1st after cotyledon) or the 3rd, or perhaps nodes aren't counted until 5 finger leafs have formed(as I've read). One thing is for sure and it appears you went sooner than later and the plants seem completely fine with it. Time is money and that sir means you are saving it 💪 I like your style and I'm on to it.
Wow this your 1st time in hydro? Have you grown a lot in soil before this?

Frostie069

Frostie069

"not common" = unique in my book 💪 I am new to cultivating and love to see all the different methods far and near. So am I correct each of the 3 white reservoirs are separate from each other but all flow into a reservoir? That reservoir has intake and outflow and so long as the reservoir is where you want it, you are assured your roots are too?
Interesting you should bring up "nodes" because the 1st thing I notice is all your cultivars were topped at the node after a 3 finger leaf. I bring this up because it doesn't seem like anyone agrees on where to start counting nodes. Is it the 1 finger leaf(the 1st after cotyledon) or the 3rd, or perhaps nodes aren't counted until 5 finger leafs have formed(as I've read). One thing is for sure and it appears you went sooner than later and the plants seem completely fine with it. Time is money and that sir means you are saving it 💪 I like your style and I'm on to it.
Wow this your 1st time in hydro? Have you grown a lot in soil before this?
Hi Trader,
thanks for the interest.
Yes you are correct regarding plumbing however, it has been changed from the picture provided, I will provide a new one today, they should be waking up shortly.
Im not up with correct terminology but to not confuse each other, I call the three white plastic things "channels", and I have a 45L heavy duty storage tub which I call the reservoir. I initially had the three channels plumbed with individual intakes and returns. The water into the channels went through a manifold I made out of irrigation tube. Big problem with the system is if the pump dies, so I ran two pumps to the manifold. It was impossible to get a good steady and consistent flow to all three channels from the manifold. So as mentioned above, after my Holy Grail Kush germ failed and I was awaiting my order, I pulled it apart and simplified it.
The system has two intakes (two pumps) into the first channel and one return to the reservoir from the last channel, the system slopes and gravity feeds itself back to the reservoir.
I have added air stones into channel 2 & 3, the reservoir has an air stone and one of the intakes has a semi circle sprinkler fitting. Plenty of air. I have read various material on whether air stones are required for NFT since the water is always moving, I am experimenting, So far I think they like it but time will tell.
Im not sure if im answering this correctly regarding the reservoir being where I want it and the roots are too? Is this because the channels and reservoir are seperate? If so yes, I monitor the reservoir, and yes from what I understand if the reservoir is kept in check then the plants should be happy however I believe the two things that will vary is air and temperature and they effect each other and the plants ability for uptake, so I have added air, the chiller and added some extra slope to the channels to move the water a little quicker so its not sitting around for too long getting warm, seems to be a double win because the chiller is also only running half the time now.
This is my first time in hydro, I have grown in soil before this, only twice indoors, it was a struggle, outdoors I have had a few with great success, I'll post some photos. The outdoor photos I'll post were topped a little later than these, I mainlined these also. strain unknown. What I like about hydro is the ability to monitor and control easier. I had saltwater aquariums for years so I'm hoping that experience can help me achieve some great crops doing it with water.

The topping went well for most, the plants with a good "cm" of 5th node took it in their stride and have had some growth (ill take pics when they wake) but the ones that had good 4ths but not 5ths have slowed. I haven't grown for a few years now so I was a little rusty. I did plenty of reading and found an article where they counted the single, I remember my outdoor grow I didn't count until the first set of 3. I would definitely do it again counting the single but wouldn't chop them until they had a good "cm" of 5th node.

IMG 3243
IMG 3244
IMG 3247
IMG 2213
IMG 2283
IMG 2339
IMG 2381
IMG 2548

Frostie069

Frostie069

Big day today!!
did a garage conversion
thanks to this forum and aquaman I have a stable ph, went from citric acid to phosphoric acid, its still early days but looking good.
I changed the reservoir which was 45L to 60L, im still using 45L of water its just allowed me more room to have neater plumbing lines which allows the lid of the reservoir to come off nice and easily. cleaned all the pumps.
I re did all the air lines, added another air pump in the tent which shortened the length of the air lines and neatens things up.
Added silica to the new reservoir solution I made today, only used 3/4 of the recommended dosage.
made a smoke spot so I can listen to the water trickle, its still not finished but the major stuff done.
Since my last post I've topped my front runners again, the others aren't ready yet and I've started tying them down.
Its now a place where a man can really get some smoking and gardening done comfortably 😂
BEFORE
TempImageGeZwXO
TempImageTU2Dz9

AFTER
TempImageHMlhBL
TempImagerYbGC6
TempImageYnv15n

TempImagemYVY7e

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Big day today!!
did a garage conversion
thanks to this forum and aquaman I have a stable ph, went from citric acid to phosphoric acid, its still early days but looking good.
I changed the reservoir which was 45L to 60L, im still using 45L of water its just allowed me more room to have neater plumbing lines which allows the lid of the reservoir to come off nice and easily. cleaned all the pumps.
I re did all the air lines, added another air pump in the tent which shortened the length of the air lines and neatens things up.
Added silica to the new reservoir solution I made today, only used 3/4 of the recommended dosage.
made a smoke spot so I can listen to the water trickle, its still not finished but the major stuff done.
Since my last post I've topped my front runners again, the others aren't ready yet and I've started tying them down.
Its now a place where a man can really get some smoking and gardening done comfortably 😂
BEFORE View attachment 1268174View attachment 1268175
AFTER
View attachment 1268177View attachment 1268178View attachment 1268179
View attachment 1268176
THAT is fkin awesome 💪

Top Bottom