Matching Light Cycles When Going From Indoor To Outdoor

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

Just a heads up for new OD growers.

I find this chart useful when starting seeds or clones indoors and then setting them out for an outdoor grow. It's important that you match up your indoor light cycles to the natural sunlight. Also slowly and gradually start exposing them to a natural sunlight, winds and cold before putting them permanently outdoors.

Just click on your location http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/

Then you'll have the specifics and choices of what to see ( time, hours, moon phases, nautical, twilight, etc):

make them simple or a bit more complex by clicking on the boxes you;d like to see on your calender.

Last edited:
S

SHIRDABZALOT

24/0 to outdoor will trip flowering quick I . It's good if your putting your plant out mid July but not in the spring, in my experience it will just try and flower then revert to veg, thus wasting a bunch of time. I look at the chart to see the sunrise on the day I want to put them out, I then grow the plants from seed or clone and match the sunrise of that day (I always use June 1st in Washington as a rule of thumb) and ad 16 hours. E.g. if sunrise is 6 am then match your timer to come on at 6am and off at 10pm (16 hrs)

K

kolah

What about going 24/0 to OD?

Yeah, they can go into flower with that drastic of a light cycle change. You could try gradually reduce the lighting schedule to 15/9 by May, when they go outside full-time. IMO, it still stresses and confuses plants terribly.

Some peeps might chime in and say they won't go into flowering unless they experience 12 hours of darkness but I have never had that happen in my grows.

THE best way is to plan ahead and keep light cycles matched.

maya42

maya42

I'm in humboldt. I've put clones outside as early as the 3rd week of may With no problems. depends on the weather. I've also had seedlings flower early, like may or june. I believe 2 or 3 years ago it was a big issue for a lot of growers up my way. Last year I knew of people having 4 ft tall plants that wouldn't sex. kinda strange.

K

kolah

Last year I had some plants flower way too early. I started seeds early and kept them inside but blamed it on using the GLT interupting the light/dark cycles. I've never had that happen before. I won't play that game anymore.

This is what Big Ed says about GLT (aka light interruption)

"Another technique is to interrupt the dark cycle with light. The light doesn’t need to light the plant for long, just a few seconds. Think of it as a water spray. You want to get all the leaves “wet” with light, but once they have been sprayed they need no more light. This short interruption of the dark cycle is enough to reset the time count of uninterrupted darkness. By lighting the plants every few hours during the dark period, the plants continue to grow vegetatively, and not flower.

When the light interruption stops, the plants immediately start to flower. Plants can be started in August and planting can continue throughout the winter. To increase growth natural light can be enhanced using reflective material and electric lights. Spring starts on March 22 and on that day light and dark share equal time. At the equinox, or shortly thereafter, the dark period becomes too short to support flowering, and the plants will grow vegetatively"

Last edited:
Toaster79

Toaster79

I've got clones under 15/9. They're going out on May 15 when the day is exactly 15 hours long. The timer is set to sunrise and sunset on that day :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom