Maximizing 3 Magnum XXLs

• Thread starter jakew215
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jakew215

So i just ordered up some magnum hoods today, i got my hydro store to give me a deal on them but i have to wait till there next sunlight supply order so i wont have to pay a arm and a leg in freight.

SO, on with it then, the area im working with is 12x18.
the lights are 1000s. so ill have 3k total.

my question is what would be the best way to grow for maximum yield under these hoods.

my original thoughts were 24-36 plants in like 3 gal containers under a screen. though from the more reading i do it seems like a real Sea of Green yields the most it seems.

i was just thinking i have this big ol nice room i wanna make the best of it. my budget is only 2k on upgrades from my first grow.(which is still going) just spent about half today. so that means i cant move into hydro yet. (But plan on getting into MPB's) still gotta get a meter and RO and some ventilation equip which takes up about the rest. lol

im just looking for what would work the best for making me the most "donations" next run.

i was thinking also on how hard it would be to get a hold of 100 plants for a SOG all the same age. i can probably find 24 a lot easier.

sorry if you guys think this is another dream scheme but its not, i got plans and money just trying to spend it wisely. i wasted a lot of money on my first grow.

im dead set on using the magnums and plan on getting nine for this room eventually. but baby steps for now.

i plan on running roots soil again, with a few amendments and feeding with BioCanna or Earth Juice, still doing organic feed research.

let me know what your opinions are...

B

Bobby Smith

Maximum yield can be accomplished via lots of different growing methods, but maximum efficiency is reached by a short veg SOG.

Of course, that requires pretty high plant counts - I had 142 under my Magnum XXXL in a 4x4 tray.

You don't need anywhere near that (and most people think it's absurd to fit that many plants in a 4x4 space, FWIW) - a good 25 plants per light would be a "solid" SOG - flower at about 12-18", finish at about 2-3'.

And why would it be hard to get plants "of the same age"? If you don't know how to clone (and lots of 'em), then SOG isn't for you, hoss.

I'd post pics of my old setup but my hard drive got wiped clean last week - you can find the pics at another site (RIU), and my username is "Bob Smith".

Skip forward to post #1022 for the pics.

J

jakew215

well like i said this is gonna be my SECOND grow so keeping that in mind... lol

i have 5 clones im rooting right now to turn into moms, 2 blue dream, 2 afgan goo, 1 soul train. i wanted to run the blue dream strain the next run, i love how it grew for me this run

i have cloned i think nine plants successfully that im currently growing.

i have little experience in all this, just trying to get direction.

is it possible to get that many clones off of two moms?

ill definitely check out that thread.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
is it possible to get that many clones off of two moms?

Yes, but the moms will need to be 3 to 4' tall and bushy. So to make enough clones from what you got may take some time.

Or you will have to purchase clones.

Maybe get some clones to flower out. Make the cuts you got into moms. The moms will be more than ready for enough cuts for sea of green when flowering is done.

Take clones 1-2 weeks before your flowering is done for sea of green.

If you do not have alot of space for mothers. Another method is to grow some bonsai mothers then make a lot of small clones. 10-30 clones per mom every 2-3 weeks.

Search google for bonsai mothers or bonsai mums for some nice tutorials on the subject.

You can get away with 32 plants per light if you wanted to go the sea of green route.

Some numbers and examples:
Veg 8 plants for a month and flower them for ideally a 4oz yield per plant. 2lb yield per 1000watt light.

May get some popcorn on the bottom and possibly more work to trim over the sea of green.

Veg 32 plants for one week or less (depending on strain) and get a oz per plant.
32 1oz plants = 2lb per 1000 watt.

Probably all high quality bud due to light penetration and plant size.

So therefore you saved yourself 2-3 weeks of veg time.

J

jakew215

great info leadsled thanks a bunch.

the clones that i pulled are already in bud. ill be harvesting from the end of this month till the end of next month. i currently have fifteen budding, different ages, some very small, i just threw them under 12/12.

but after all these are done is when i will move to the new room. if i have to i can get a deal if i buy 50+ clones, so i think ill run 99 plants then in a SOG, just to be on the safe side.

hopefully i can manage all that, what size containers do people usually use, i need to do some reading on SOG, havent really done this so much.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
great info leadsled thanks a bunch.

hopefully i can manage all that, what size containers do people usually use, i need to do some reading on SOG, havent really done this so much.

You are Welcome. Well a 1000 watt over a 4' x 4' area is 62.5 wpsf (watts per square foot) So that is decent coverage for that space.

I can fit 36 - 2 gallon perfect pots or 72 - one gallon bags under 4x4 area.

Grow bags are also cheaper to use for sea of green and can just toss em when done.

So you could do 33 per light in 2 gallons each to meet your 99 for 3 lights.

Lead

Top Bottom