maximum wire run from 600w ballast

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

Any of you fellows know what the maximum length of 16awg 600V wire you can run between the ballast and bulb?
I am running a lumatek 600 on a flip flop and need to run aprox 25 feet from ballast to bulb. Anyone know if this is ok? thanks

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
sorry cant help,, but most uk ballast and lights come with over 4 metres on cable, not sure about double the distance on that.. Lights might not fire-up properly.

P

pikes peak 69

I think I heard something about it being 15'. But could you increase wire size to 14 or 12, then you may beable to go further.
Also I know that is a pre-built ballast, but I know if the ignitor is placed at the bulb then the cord can be pretty much any length you want. That would require a mag ballast to do.

HTH
pp69

420king-MASSES

no thats not good after 20 feet your power diminishes and now the cable has to pull more power through it [which it is not rated for] i would just get a thick gaged extension cord [10-20 footer] and go from there just remember to make sure your extension cord is thicker then ballast cord and light cord to ensure proper electrical flow

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
they make 10 ft lamp cord extensions in 16 ga and 14 ga wire and you can get a replacement lamp cord that is 25 ft. Im gonna be buying some 10 ft extensions myself to get my ballasts out of the grow. I also saw a 50 ft lamp cord but it was made for a certain brand digi only.

you can go 25 feet with no issue!

Papa

Papa

Supporter
my memory recalls 25 feet as well. 'sorry, i don't have my ballast catalog here. and i'm assuming we're talking bout a mag ballast and not electronic.

Papa

420king-MASSES

of course they have them but the longer the cord is not better in this case shorter is better shorter =more efficient

budboy299

budboy299

you guys are bang on again! I called lumatek and they said 25 feet max and even at that you really should go up one size in wire.
thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom