May have a problem - do these seeds look ok to you?

• Thread starter the123321
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the123321

the123321

I am trying to germinate 2 seeds from mephisto. I took one of those little plastic containers that deli meat is sold in and washed it out and took 2 pieces of paper towel wet them and put the seeds in it then closed it and wrapped the bottom in newspaper to block light from it and sat it on my router. The next morning I looked at it and the bottom was very hot from the router. Then 1 of the seeds had a little white tap root but I read to wait until it is longer to plant it so I left it but I put an extra sheet of folded newspaper under the container on the router to try to block some of the heat. Now it has been like 3-4 days since I put the seeds in the container and this is what they look like on there.

imgur /a/qZohrZm

Do these seeds look ok to you or do you think that it may have had more heat than is ok on the router on there?

11Hick11

11Hick11

Not seeing a pic..
3-4 days should be good to go into soil though. I put mine in a shot glass for 2-3 days and thats usually enough to crack them and the tap root to come out slightly. From there i put them into soil and it takes usually 2-3 days to pop out of soil.

the123321

the123321

Thanks. It would not let me post the link to the image on imgur. If anyone wants to see the image to help message me and I will message the imgur link to you.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I wouldn't let the tap roots get too long (much longer than an inch) as a lot of energy goes into growing the tap root. If sprouted for too long, you get corkscrewed tap roots and it seems to stunt them if they go too long before planting. I usually plant mine when the root gets about a half inch long and leave the seed slightly under the soil, or put a pinch of soil over it, once transplanted. This helps it from drying out for a day or two... by then the root should grow in enough to reach it's own water supplies. DON'T feed it right away. Let it grow out of the seedling stage before you consider nutes, and go easy on them. If you use a pre loaded growing medium, you really won't need much nutes at all except the later stages of flowering, at least in general.

the123321

the123321

Thanks. I think I may try a different method next time like to soak the seeds in bottled purified drinking water for like 12 hours then put them into jiffy pellets or into the 3 gallon fabric pots. I am looking at putting dry amendments in the coco coir instead of using liquid nutrients and I read that the jiffy pellets give a little buffer. Have you tried jiffy pellets or would you recommend direct to the 3 gallon pot on there?

Top Bottom