• Thread starter Bullmark69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bullmark69

Bullmark69

May have made a fatal mistakehelp
May have made a fatal mistakehelp 2
May have made a fatal mistakehelp 3
Hello all….I’m approaching the end of my first indoor grow. I grew a fair amount outside but that was yrs ago and a lot has changed. Anyway, I’m in week 14 with 3 Super Skunk autos….breeder timeline was 9-10 weeks but obviously that wasn’t applicable on this run. Growing in straight Ocean Forest in 3gal fabric pots. Light is the new HLG 320xl LED. I gave no nutes for a good 5-6 weeks and gave a little fish sh!t. Later I used the Fox farms bottled trio but was very light with them. I made a few errors early in the grow and learned a few lessons, but overall it went well up until this point. The buds were swelling up and covered in trichs…..my only concern was the slow maturation. Two of the plants are almost twins and they have had the longest white pistils forever. They just don’t recede and every so often one will turn orange. I am in no hurry and won’t chop before it’s ripe. The trichs are about 60-70% cloudy with the rest being clear. I found a handful of ambers on all 3 plants combined. HERE IS THE ISSUE: I can’t say exactly why but I kinda misread some info from my light company and decided to follow what I thought was their directions. About a week ago I snipped off all the fan leaves…..yes all of them. At least the big and medium size ones. My thinking was the light would penetrate to every single bud site. I now really really regret this.
One of the plants is now losing the rest of her leaves rather quickly. All the remaining are yellow and fading fast.
Just looking at the buds I’d guess they need at least 2 more weeks. I’m sure in 2 weeks there won’t be a leaf left….unless someone can help me.
I am still feeding….last time was yesterday and I gave about 1/4 dose of Buddha Buds…..an organic bottled nute w/ mostly P and K, but also a tad of N.
The pics make the leaves look almost neon….they are actually yellow. The other two plants may have enough green leaves left to take them another week or two.
I guess I’ve done something during the grow to cause these plants to just linger in flower forever. I know breeder timelines are optimistic at best, but this is gonna end up at 16-17 weeks easy. Please think hard on this one and tell my dumb ass what to do.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

You are fine. At the end of a plants life cycle when it's looking about finished the leaves curl up and die. That means it's damn near ready. Fall color leaves and trichomes will tell you to chop. Big fan leaves aren't as important at that stage. You want the sun to hit the bud sites.

TrichomeLicker

TrichomeLicker

Its ok no need to worry.

Keep doing what you are doing and it will be ready to harvest in a couple weeks or so.

I've had plants looking more haggard than that near the end of flowering and I still got lots of nice smoke from them.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Is it cold in your grow area? I've grown some long-flowering sativas, but not as a surprise.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

So many many thank you’s for the responses….I feel less anxious now. I’ll try to address the comments.
1. I have not really been watering to runoff. I’ve been told by many, including the Fox Farm people, that measuring runoff was a useless drill. Every once in a while I’ll get some runoff and will check the ppm. The numbers are astronomical…..for example, this last time I fed a small dose of Buddha Buds and my ppm was around 410. I had some runoff in one plant but it wasn’t a lot so it may have been too little, but the ppm was 2800.
Even when I’ve had a decent amount of runoff the ppm has always been between 2000 and 4000….yet I’ve never fed higher than 900. So I’ve often thought I had some sort of lockout. What do I do this late in the grow? I do notice some salt stain buildup on the very bottoms of my fabric pots.
2. The temps……my temps have mostly been in the mid 70s w/ lights on and high 60s lights off. I did lower things slightly more recently but just by a few degrees. I have learned that under LEDs a higher temp is optimal…..so next run will be 80-82f.
I’ve been tempted so many times to just flush them w/ plain water in hopes of “resetting”. Would it be worth it? How much should I run through ? And would that kill off any remaining leaves?
It’s just been frustrating to see these buds sitting there, looking the same as they did the week before…..

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Is it cold in your grow area? I've grown some long-flowering sativas, but not as a surprise.
Temps have varied but never been terribly cold. Currently low 70s/lights on, hi 60s/lights off. RH in the 40s.
The strain is supposed to be indica dominant…..yet two of the 3 have looked more like a sativa……lighter shade of green, thinner bladed leaves.
The third plant is indica for sure….pretty much opposite of the other 2.

Moshmen

Moshmen

So many many thank you’s for the responses….I feel less anxious now. I’ll try to address the comments.
1. I have not really been watering to runoff. I’ve been told by many, including the Fox Farm people, that measuring runoff was a useless drill. Every once in a while I’ll get some runoff and will check the ppm. The numbers are astronomical…..for example, this last time I fed a small dose of Buddha Buds and my ppm was around 410. I had some runoff in one plant but it wasn’t a lot so it may have been too little, but the ppm was 2800.
Even when I’ve had a decent amount of runoff the ppm has always been between 2000 and 4000….yet I’ve never fed higher than 900. So I’ve often thought I had some sort of lockout. What do I do this late in the grow? I do notice some salt stain buildup on the very bottoms of my fabric pots.
2. The temps……my temps have mostly been in the mid 70s w/ lights on and high 60s lights off. I did lower things slightly more recently but just by a few degrees. I have learned that under LEDs a higher temp is optimal…..so next run will be 80-82f.
I’ve been tempted so many times to just flush them w/ plain water in hopes of “resetting”. Would it be worth it? How much should I run through ? And would that kill off any remaining leaves?
It’s just been frustrating to see these buds sitting there, looking the same as they did the week before…..
There’s your problem, personally I would always water till 10-15% runoff this will help with the buildup - if your run off is double what your puttin in there’s to much build up - I would use plain water from here on out , not sure a reset would help much at this point ? But feel free to flush away just follow it with a balanced nute mix.

if I have to flush I start with double the pot size - then ck runoff if it’s still high I do it again

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

There’s your problem, personally I would always water till 10-15% runoff this will help with the buildup - if your run off is double what your puttin in there’s to much build up - I would use plain water from here on out , not sure a reset would help much at this point ? But feel free to flush away just follow it with a balanced nute mix.

if I have to flush I start with double the pot size - then ck runoff if it’s still high I do it again
I wish I had listened to my intuition and flushed it a couple weeks ago. I’m a total newbie with indoor but I harvested nice outdoor grows 8-9 yrs in a row when I was a younger man. So I know how buds mature and the stages they go through to ripen. Some strains take longer than others but these plants have been a close to idle as possible….I’d estimate they’ve taken 3 weeks to progress 3-4 days. The pics from 2 weeks ago look identical to the ones today..there may be one or two hairs that have turned orange but not the typical healthy progression.
i just fed/watered yesterday….they aren’t drying out quite as fast, so it’ll be a couple days before the pots are light again. I’m wondering if I should wait or just give ‘em a good flush now???
The ocean forest soil sure is convenient and it’s nice to just add water, but I’d prefer knowing a little more about what’s in my medium…..although I can’t imagine any of the original amended nutes are still present. It’s been 14 weeks for crying out loud.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Temps have varied but never been terribly cold. Currently low 70s/lights on, hi 60s/lights off. RH in the 40s.
The strain is supposed to be indica dominant…..yet two of the 3 have looked more like a sativa……lighter shade of green, thinner bladed leaves.
The third plant is indica for sure….pretty much opposite of the other 2.
If you raise it to about 80, it will go much faster.

In plants and microbes, a rule of thumb is that biological activity doubles with every 10 deg. F increase in temperature.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

If you raise it to about 80, it will go much faster.

In plants and microbes, a rule of thumb is that biological activity doubles with every 10 deg. F increase in temperature.
Excellent. I’ll do just that. I was slow to catch on that higher temps were optimal for my LED…..raising up to 81-83 was on my improvement list for the next run. I was unsure whether to implement the warmer environment at this stage…..a lot of folks advise lowering temps a smidge in the last 2-3 weeks of flower.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I've made a habit of checking runoff. I always have fed light, and I like to see my PH rise slightly coming out, as that's a good sign of a healthy root zone.
Anyway checking run- off will tell ya a lot about the health of the root zone.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

View attachment 1206735View attachment 1206736View attachment 1206737Hello all….I’m approaching the end of my first indoor grow. I grew a fair amount outside but that was yrs ago and a lot has changed. Anyway, I’m in week 14 with 3 Super Skunk autos….breeder timeline was 9-10 weeks but obviously that wasn’t applicable on this run. Growing in straight Ocean Forest in 3gal fabric pots. Light is the new HLG 320xl LED. I gave no nutes for a good 5-6 weeks and gave a little fish sh!t. Later I used the Fox farms bottled trio but was very light with them. I made a few errors early in the grow and learned a few lessons, but overall it went well up until this point. The buds were swelling up and covered in trichs…..my only concern was the slow maturation. Two of the plants are almost twins and they have had the longest white pistils forever. They just don’t recede and every so often one will turn orange. I am in no hurry and won’t chop before it’s ripe. The trichs are about 60-70% cloudy with the rest being clear. I found a handful of ambers on all 3 plants combined. HERE IS THE ISSUE: I can’t say exactly why but I kinda misread some info from my light company and decided to follow what I thought was their directions. About a week ago I snipped off all the fan leaves…..yes all of them. At least the big and medium size ones. My thinking was the light would penetrate to every single bud site. I now really really regret this.
One of the plants is now losing the rest of her leaves rather quickly. All the remaining are yellow and fading fast.
Just looking at the buds I’d guess they need at least 2 more weeks. I’m sure in 2 weeks there won’t be a leaf left….unless someone can help me.
I am still feeding….last time was yesterday and I gave about 1/4 dose of Buddha Buds…..an organic bottled nute w/ mostly P and K, but also a tad of N.
The pics make the leaves look almost neon….they are actually yellow. The other two plants may have enough green leaves left to take them another week or two.
I guess I’ve done something during the grow to cause these plants to just linger in flower forever. I know breeder timelines are optimistic at best, but this is gonna end up at 16-17 weeks easy. Please think hard on this one and tell my dumb ass what to do.
I have a strain that has that same coloring, and the leaves will cannibalize like mad thoes last few weeks. It looks like you did a good job.
20180727 110408
20180802 134815

freezeland2

freezeland2

Excellent. I’ll do just that. I was slow to catch on that higher temps were optimal for my LED…..raising up to 81-83 was on my improvement list for the next run. I was unsure whether to implement the warmer environment at this stage…..a lot of folks advise lowering temps a smidge in the last 2-3 weeks of flower.
When lowering temps and rh at end of flowering you need to make sure you are keeping vpd in a safe zone. I’m at the end too. I’m running 75 degrees lights on with 40% rh. My leaf temps are 2 - 3 degrees cooler. My vpd is right on the border at 1.6. So I’m pushing them pretty hard right now.

Last edited:
Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Wow….those buds are pure fizzz….beautiful.
When you hang to dry what temp and RH do you shoot for?
And what is that strain? I’d like to grow that.
Thank you.
I like to keep my RH around 50, but 10% swing in either direction isn't a concern as long as the air is moving enough. I like my buds to dry rather slowly. Not for any reason other than dreading the trim lol.
The strain is a cross of mine that goes back some St#4 x Santa Cruz Bluedream (a happy accident) X ECSD x Chocolate Trip (Chocolate Diesel) x (Neville’s Wreck x Ghost OG) GTH#1

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You over fed but that's OK, you can prune off these burnt yellow leaves or just give a light flush check pH and go from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom