Mayas 2016 Outdoor Ladies

• Thread starter maya42
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
maya42

maya42

What kind of issues with black gold? I've stuck with them mainly this year for all my new pots. Hohstadts has given me shit soil for 3 years in a row now , so I'm done with them. The owner came out to my place and looked at the plants and told me" everything is great, just keep up what your doing " while ignoring the obvious hot soil issues. Then I was told that the people who bought 100's of yards had no complaints. Thanks for the dismissal. Anyways. .......
I actually skipped compost this year as my thoughts were I'm composting everything in these huge pots anyways. I followed the tom hill advice for this season and re amended each pot with what was stated. We will see.

Is skipping compost a bad idea ?

Blaze

Blaze

Mg deficiencies showed up within a few day of planting into the Black Gold. Nothing to major, a soil drench of cal mag once a week cleared it up, but I shouldn't have to be feeding freshly transplanted clones like that. It is better than it outright killing or permanently stunting plants though, like I've seen with Fox Farm and other companies.

If your soluble organic matter (SOM) is plenty high then you could probably skip compost. I really like using composted dairy cow manure, it has been consistent every year and it is a great way to boost your SOM. I always like to have a little green waste compost to mix in as well for micro nutrients though.

maya42

maya42

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I've had some experiences using the wrong soil, too. Lesson learned: pH is everything.

What do you start yours in?

I would like to pick your brain on red stem/leaf stem issues if possible.
So I have 54 plants in a roon under 6 Gavitas . Old school og and 3 kings
I mixed perlite and grean bicycle at 3/4 strength into the soil. (Ffof)
I planted and let them get established. Then Ive used gb compost tea for feeding. The plants look amazing! EVERY single leaf is up at attention thriving. Maybe 1-2 inches of growth per day. But............ I've got red stripes on the stalks and the stems turn red/purple . The new growth comes out green but then the Leaf stems start to turn color starting at the petiole.
A was told that it could be root zone temps being different from foliage temps.... any merit to that?I have not ph'd water OR checked the soil ph.

Blaze

Blaze

If you are sure it is not the genetics, then it could be a Phos deficiency. If your pH is out or range this could affect the plants ability to uptake Phos as well. Check your pH if possible, try feeding with some liquid grow fertilizer that has phos, and when in doubt, cal mag always seems to be a good cure all....

maya42

maya42

Ive been told the og will do that(not sure about the 3 kings), BUT I have the same ones in a dep with no red stems. I just started with the indoor and am not as familiar with issues. So I guess I'll try checking the pH of the soil and the water first and act accordingly. ....hopefully lol.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

If your indoor is on a cement slab it could be the nighttime tempatures cooling down the soil. A couple space heaters in the corner on a timer that came on during the dark cycle is what I had to do to fix it.

maya42

maya42

If your indoor is on a cement slab it could be the nighttime tempatures cooling down the soil. A couple space heaters in the corner on a timer that came on during the dark cycle is what I had to do to fix it.
That could be it. I tried to insulate the floor with cardboard and then some plastic. I don't have a high ceiling so I was trying to stay low. My room fluctuates between 63 at night at canopy height and 75 during the on cycle.so the soil is guaranteed to be colder. Is 63 to low?

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

It could definitely be colder in the soil. Especially if you just watered before the dark cycle and the weather is cold outside. I would try a space heater or two down low next to the pots. It could definitely be a deficiency or something else but I had some similar problems trying to keep warm night time tempatures in my garage with a big cement slab.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What do you start yours in?
Blue Ribbon potting soil, I can't recall if it's a Gardener and Bloom product or not. I tried starting in the topsoil I like to use, and they do ok, but they do better in the potting soil.
I would like to pick your brain on red stem/leaf stem issues if possible.
So I have 54 plants in a roon under 6 Gavitas . Old school og and 3 kings
I mixed perlite and grean bicycle at 3/4 strength into the soil. (Ffof)
I planted and let them get established. Then Ive used gb compost tea for feeding. The plants look amazing! EVERY single leaf is up at attention thriving. Maybe 1-2 inches of growth per day. But............ I've got red stripes on the stalks and the stems turn red/purple . The new growth comes out green but then the Leaf stems start to turn color starting at the petiole.
A was told that it could be root zone temps being different from foliage temps.... any merit to that?I have not ph'd water OR checked the soil ph.
In my limited experience, if the MAINS are striped, and especially if the striping continues once put outside, it's a phenotypic trait in my own conclusion. If it's just the petioles, then I consider it to be a possible P utilization problem, and it seems to be *very* common in just about all indoor growing scenarios. I was never able to fully eliminate it in my indoor grows, mostly because I felt that pushing tons of P wasn't the answer, but at the time I didn't have the answer.

Low temps can cause this, as can pH parameters, and unavailable or low P, but also light spectrum plays a role. Go to the thread "How light spectrum affects nutrient uptake" and read through it. It's LONG, but I think there's some incredible information in there (mixed in with the usual BS).

I have never heard that root temps being different from canopy is a possible cause, and frankly it makes zero sense. You've done a little OD growing, and so I'm sure you know as well as I do that, especially on very hot or cool days, the root zone temps have to be different from canopy temps. But if your experience is anything like mine you observe a lot of these issues disappearing once the plants are put outside. So, what gives? Light spectrum is the one variable that cannot be fully accounted for when cultivating indoors vs out. The sun gives it all, our artificial lights are a representative at best.

So for me the long and the short of it is this--if the plants are performing and growing well otherwise, don't worry too hard about it.

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

Gonna sub on this grow! If you dont mind
My outdoor this year
Gg4
Cherry pie
Rotten mayonnaise haze x querkle
NYPD X querkle
Agent diesel & incredible bulk
No-til just 16 plants

mendo local

mendo local

yeap, mixing oil soil is the way to go!! I use 1/3 old soil, 1/3 compost I make here on the farm, heavy in rabbit manure, and 1/3 castings. Add in a bit of neem seed meal and amendments, and off to the races!
What other amendments do you use?

papapayne

papapayne

What other amendments do you use?

I swear by neem seed meal - once I started using it fungus gnats and nasty root critters have become a distant memory.

I use the down to earth line -

Feather meal + Neem seed meal + crab meal + granular humic acids + kelp meal and that's a pretty loaded soil.

their bat guano is great as well, or seabird guano. I tend to error to the side of to many ingredients, vs to many. Their 5lb boxes are very reasonable $, and can make a lot of soil

Their whole line is pretty awesome though, and can be swapped thru. I try to add a few different things in every time I remix the soil just to cover all the bases. No bottled nutes needed once you have it all established!

Blaze

Blaze

I swear by neem seed meal - once I started using it fungus gnats and nasty root critters have become a distant memory.

I use the down to earth line -

Feather meal + Neem seed meal + crab meal + granular humic acids + kelp meal and that's a pretty loaded soil.

their bat guano is great as well, or seabird guano. I tend to error to the side of to many ingredients, vs to many. Their 5lb boxes are very reasonable $, and can make a lot of soil

Their whole line is pretty awesome though, and can be swapped thru. I try to add a few different things in every time I remix the soil just to cover all the bases. No bottled nutes needed once you have it all established!

At what rate do you use the need seed meal at?

tangiekosher

tangiekosher

What are you guys doing to take the chlorine from the water before you Ph it ? There is a dechlorinater that can filter 60 gals an hour (small boy) or I'm thinking I can bubble with and oxygen pump and bubble it out for few days .

tangiekosher

tangiekosher

Mg deficiencies showed up within a few day of planting into the Black Gold. Nothing to major, a soil drench of cal mag once a week cleared it up, but I shouldn't have to be feeding freshly transplanted clones like that. It is better than it outright killing or permanently stunting plants though, like I've seen with Fox Farm and other companies.

If your soluble organic matter (SOM) is plenty high then you could probably skip compost. I really like using composted dairy cow manure, it has been consistent every year and it is a great way to boost your SOM. I always like to have a little green waste compost to mix in as well for micro nutrients though.
What about roots 707? Mild enough to plant seeds and has loads of what they need.

tangiekosher

tangiekosher

Got some new beans at the spring kickoff in redway yesterday.

Picked up :

Kosher og from Crockett farms

Yeti f3 from loompa

Lem og from lempire farmaseed

Double og sour diesel from rebel

From my vault :

Kosher bacon (Chemdog #4 x sfvog) x kosher kush
Firehog
Rugburn og from rare dankness
Tahoe og from c.c.
Kosher kush from dna
Local og from friend
Nl5 haze from Mr nice
Blueberry pie from friend
Sweet dream (sweet tooth x blue dream) friend
XJ 13 cross

Sooooooo. ..... whatcha got going this year?
So it's safe to say that you like Kosher kushes? That's a hefty line up you have.
Not outdoors but I've got running now
Suzzies Uzzies ,GSC bag seed pheno I found
Kosher Kush, bag seed
Seeds germinating now are
FPOG f2s
UltraSour THSeeds
Thunder Eggs #4 farmer NedKelly.

I have to much PM floating around with pest outdoors. I've tried and lost that battle.
STR8
Check these free packs I scored at last few cups ..

20160507 223115
20160424 150719

Latest posts

Top Bottom