MC`s Forest Adventure

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I pick it up tomorrow but I need to cut the brush back on the road and make more room on the landing for it. I also will be checking every system before I hand over the loot. It has a 7000 watt generator that runs off the gas tank but couldn`t check it because it won`t run unless the gas tank is more than 1/4 full. It also had bad shore batteries but he has some newer ones being charged and the propane was empty. I could only start it up at that point so I`ll come up with my son who can drive the truck back and we will check every system. If it all checks out great, but if it has unexpected problems I`ll ether back out on the deal or ask for a price reduction, It looks good, not lived in and not run down. Been sitting for 4 years and dirty. Small amount of wear and one tire is sun cracked. The others are like new. It has a 460 v8 and automatic tyranny. Queen size bed, tub/ shower with glass door and the couch folds out. I`d like to put solar panels and an inverter, satellite TV and two HDTV`s in it to replace the old ones. Also it needs to have the gas line fixed so I can use external propane tanks as I don`t want to drive it to get it filled once it`s level and in place. Oh hydraulic levelers and even power steps and a backup cam. No slides though but plenty of room with 34 foot bumper to bumper. It`s about 4 foot larger inside than the trailer I`m in now. It is missing a microwave but I have an extra one in storage anyway. Oh and it has a steel roof with insulation and a one piece rubber roof covering it so no problem with snow building up on it! You can stand anywhere on the roof and it has a ladder on the back to get up and a driver`s side door . I priced these and I got it at about 3,000 less than the going rate for a 91 model 34 foot motor home. I`m thinking I might drive it out before the bad weather and rent a nice spot down in SoCal for the winters. I can even set my blazer up to be towed behind it. I`m thinking I`ll keep the trailer and fix it up some and still put it down on the property under a cover. It can just stay year-a-round on the pad. I can use it to trim in and for the trimmers , family and friends to stay in and storage. I`m itching to get back to gardening now!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Been my experience that new toys always end up costing you more money along the way. I`m already thinking of new shore batteries and how to set up solar chargers, a bypass put in the propane line for external propane tanks, satellite antenna , new HDTV monitors and then it needs cleaned, registered with late fees, insurance and has a few latches that need replaced. It should have all new fluids and a tune up and it will need it`s smog inspection. These things are kind of like a boat and soak up cash.

Much of these things will have to wait as I have a grow top put together.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Still it will be nice to have and use as it`s an improvement over the present living situation and I`ll still have the gulfstream trailer for extra room and storage.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Oh I splurged and bought Chinese food to go yesterday. It`s not diet food but I ate it a little at a time stretching it out over a the end of the day and my blood sugar didn`t rise above my normal and I had more energy without any increase in nerve pain. I`ve been under a lot of stress with all that needs to get done in a short time but feel better after a hard sleep last night and a good cup of coffee this morning. Having a lot to get done in short order is stressful but accomplishing daily goals and taking it in steps is rewarding. Before I`d stress when interactions with other people slowed progress, but the worst was/is when I krap out and get behind because of health. I can feel my improvement in my health and see how it is improving my production if slowly.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Looks like the guy next to me isn`t coming back up this year. He has 2.6 acres of land on the ridge that is cleared and surveyed. I was thinking I could work out a deal on his property and sell mine (in time) to have better access, a pad, well and septic out of the deal. It would still be difficult to access in the winter and is above the snow line but I could have the infrastructure in easier and start getting my orchard and RV cover in sooner. I`m thinking after 2016 the bottom will drop out of the MMJ market and I`d be more interested in the security of a home site than a grow site. I can always switch to seed grows and being set up better, lower costs would supplement my merger disability income better. I`ll give him a call when I get the time but it`s to late this year to both move and get a crop in anyway. Still I need a solid direction I`m headed in.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
My son and I spent the day clearing brush and branches to widen the road to the landing so the motorhome would fit. Cleared off a spot for it also but still have two trees to cut down that lean over the road and may catch on the roof. Also maybe an other 80 ft. of brush on both sides of the road in one stretch. My feet hurt like hell!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Looks like rain possible today and maybe tomorrow . While we need the rain it is slowing me down at getting things done. I`m so behind as it is and have so much to get done in such a short time!!! My plans were to move my daughters stuff from my storage into her new storage to give me room for my son`s stuff and mine when we shut down the house in the valley at the end of the month. I also need to finish up cutting brush and take down two smaller oak trees along the road in to the landing so I can bring in the motorhome. I may still go down the hill incase I get the chance to do the moving. I will work on switching out the shore batteries in the motor home, and call about getting the propane lines fixed to except external tanks if I get the chance. I really need to knock stuff off so I can be ready to drive down to SoCal to pick up clones from the garden. I`m looking forward to having the garden in and the camp set up with my son up here for the season.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I got my daughter`s stuff into her own storage and ordered the parts to put in an external propane tank on the motorhome , now I need to have my son back up to finish up cleaning the rest of the road so I can bring in the motorhome, He can help me get the beds ready for planting next and I`ll work on getting the problems fixed on the Blazer next so I can pick up the cuttings and clones for planting. He also suggested we move anything we can from the house in the valley ahead of the move to make it easier for him to move up at the end of the month. Once I get the motorhome up here and set up I`ll see if I can get the title in my name and get it non-opted for now. Things are going slowly but getting done. I`ll be so happy to have it all caught up and the plants in the ground!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
It`s cold and wet up here! It may rain some more before it`s over so just sticking it out and staying dry. The parts came in for the external propane tank of the motorhome. Need to get that road cleared to move it up here.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Didn`t feel well so I laid down for a nap and woke to what I first thought was a tree falling next to the RV. It was lightning! There has been maybe 20 strikes near by sense. I`m in for a shaker tonight! I may have to go through having my balls drop down again after tonight!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
My list of to do`s is getting longer everyday and my time limits shorter. Today I didn`t feel well ,first time in a while of feeling ill. I also had more hail/rain and thunder & lightning. It just wasn`t in the cards to be productive today. Going to go pick up the parts for the propane exchange, get a load of castings and bring my son up to finish the brush along the road tomorrow . Then I need to move the motorhome and put some of my things in the rental house in storage ahead of the move at the end of the month. I need to make a run to SoCal for clones and get the beds in order next. I also need to get amendments, materials to rebuild the tunnels/greenhouse and put a floor in the shed. Soon as I can get the time I`ll need to clean up the tool area of the generator shack and do more brush clearing for fire danger around the camp area. I need to put more work into the truck again this year as well so I`ll be able to keep fetching water. I need to get Brute fixed this year and get his shots and license. Also should have the cats de-clawed so they don`t mess up the motorhome. It would be nice to make an outside shower and clean up an area for the campfire, table ,BBQ , etc. I also need to do something about the dust this year. I understand you can`t buy mineral oil in Cali anymore so not sure what else I can get. I may have to take a trip to Nevada or something to get enough for the dirt road along the camp area. I still need to work on a few things with DMV and have a bunch of things to put up for sale ,like my fridge from the house that was foreclosed on and a bunch of other furnishings I`ll never use that are in storage. Got just to many irons in the fire these days dam-it!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
If you want well established plants by June 1st they need to be in their 4-5 node by planting. It doesn`t mater if they are larger as they have time to grow to their full genetic adult size before flower if planted by then. What maters more is they have well established roots by planting and are not planted root bound . If they are root bound when you go to transplant them into the ground ( roots are wound up) you can trim the roots and this will cause more vigorous root growth. I started them early enough but most of them died because of weather changes; frost , then snow ,and then hail and rain with a hard frost following. It happens at this elevation some years. Other years it doesn`t. I wouldn`t have had this problem if I started them indoors but they would also have taken a little extra time to be hardened up. I also feel plants started from seed are more vigorous if you can start them under the sun in the first place and you gain some grow time as they don`t need to be hardened up. No matter what you do mother nature has a way of messing you up when she feels like it. Farming is always a lot of skill and hard work with a little bit of luck. Good thing is now I can try some different genetics. I`ve had three people here at the Farm from Cali offer me some elite genetics and also a couple local people have offered some clones. I also had a few plants make it through the bad weather.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I got the motorhome in but it turns out it is not 33 foot long, but 36 foot long. Still need to level it with the hydraulic system ,put in the new shore batteries , hook it to the septic, clean it up some and get moved in. I also got 1 1/2 yards of castings today for $75.00 and will be going back for more tomorrow. I didn`t get the external propane parts because they turned out to be the wrong ones but reordered the right ones and stopped by a grow store for amendments. Some progress anyway.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Yep they were an over order from last year and had wild oats growing on them . We have to load them by hand or I`d get more . Still they go for $ 200 a yard at the Worm Farm just south of Chico . I think these are from some place down by Sacramento. I can also get free horse, quail, rabbit , pig, lama, cow and chicken manures from local farms, but again you have to load by hand. I also can get virgin river loam for free. If you want you can also get leaves and shred them for compost add grass clippings and make all the compost you want , again free from local land owners in the valley. Add your own wood ash and some rock phosphate and you have the basics for your soil . Good thing about worm castings is they have worm larva in them! Soil up here in the mountains is that red shit that has little but some volcanic minerals, very poor soil. Nearly the same as in Hawaii . It tests the same with just a tad less of the same minerals. The climate is dryer and wormer (in the summer) being inland. It`s actually a great place to grow outdoor, better than in Humboldt or Hawaii, although the soil is poor most of what you need is right down in the valley. Not much water unless your lucky to have a spring or creek on your land like I do. Wells cost $15,000 or so and the water isn`t as good as mine when you test it. Also because mine comes out so cold you could set up to grow winter crops in the dead of summer here. With a little $ that I don`t have I could make my place a gold mine! And yes there is even some gold on my property but I`m not into messing with it. Maybe the timber and firewood at some point.

Because of my health I`m thinking of selling and buying two acres nearer the valley with a well, septic and good access. I put out the word and have had many inquiries and offers but I want 85k cash so I can get set right up with a place. Not that many people have that kind of cash up front. I`ve had a few offers of 100k,( half down) but would rather have the cash and be done to do what I want. You are allowed 99 plants in Butte Co. with 10 acres and 66 in flower. With the money for artic greenhouses you could do perpetual grows year round from 33 mothers and 5 runs of 66 plants a season at 3-5 lbs each. I have neither the $ or the health anymore to do the work. I do have the knowledge, genetics and land just right for it.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Didn`t feel well this morning so didn`t get the castings. My son`s back is also hurting but will try again in the morning. I did get the shore batteries changed out in the motorhome and am running the fridge on the propane gas setting to check on it. The light now lights up and stays on without the generator on and it`s starting to feel cool in the fridge with a little frost on the elements in the freezer compartment so it`s looking good. Not sure how long it needs to run in order to be at peek coldness. Will run it over night and check it in the morning. I know it works on AC and it seems to be working on propane , just not 100% sure it will be cold enough for ice yet.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
We put picking up more castings on hold and my son came up for an over night. We got the beds weeded and are working on finishing the weed eating as well as leveling the Motorhome tomorrow. I`d like to get some tubs of soil ready to plant some started veggies and repot the tomatoes , peppers and cucumber starts I have also. I`d also like to have some soil mixed up for repotting the clones so we can have time to work up the soil in the beds before planting. Later we can work on other projects but we need to have the RV`s ready for him to move up at the end on the month. Way to much to get done all at the same time! Had BBQ steak and potatoes for dinner , sick of veggies so we skipped em this time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom