med clone onlys outdoor in socal heat

• Thread starter bicycle racer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bicycle racer

i would like to hear from people who have grown og's bubba's and chem's outdoors in socal and what the results were i have no room indoor now so am growing some clone only strains in hempy buckets outdoor my main concern is heat on the bad days (im in the valley) it gets around 110 sometimes. any tips or experiences people have had i would like to hear.

fractal

fractal

There are many spots in california with the same hot and dry conditions. I am dealing with extreme temperatures also and have found that the roots are what you need to protect. My plastic pots are baking the roots to death when they get direct sun for an extended period and heat up. The plants in smartpot fabric planters are looking much better. So step one is put your plants in pots with lots of room. . . Use a 7 or 10 gallon pot instead of a 5 gallon to avoid roots being stuck on the outside between the soil and the hot plastic. Also change to white pots or smartpots because white reflects heat and smartpots breathe to avoid excessive heat. Shadecloth is a must when temperatures get over 100. Drape it over the planters and tie it up to some posts to form a canopy over your plants.
I have also noticed my Chemdog #4 plants thrive in heat. They are the last plant to show heat stress indoors and out. The pure kush is similar to bubba and it also performs well in the heat but its roots are sensitive. The OG poison cut is a paradox. It was always looking like shit indoors, could only keep it growing with mild organic nutes. But outdoors she is a trooper, standing up to the heat the best of them all.

B

bicycle racer

thanks for your tips im in 3gal white painted pots currently. i chose to go with a hempy style medium of perlite and vermiculite its light an well aerated so it seems to stay cooler and is white so reflects heat i will do the others in 5 gal pots the same way so basically your saying to build something that shades the containers correct? that would make sense.

B

bicycle racer

oh also could you describe these smart pots i would like to know what they are and how they help control temps.

R

ReelBusy1

my outside container plants haven't moved since the 11th of July and they are loving this sun and heat.

I have a couple Afghans, an OG Bubba and several SSH and White Widows.

The only ones that have shown any stress are the ww's but they were the shortest of the bunch too.

When they are outside my soil mix has more soil than the usual perlite etc mix to hold more moisture through the hot dayz.

B

bicycle racer

it seems they tolerate heat fine but now that its cooled a bit quality is clearly better when its not crazy hot.

Top Bottom